Day 12, Niece spilled a glass of water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entilda, Mar 11, 2011.

1. entilda macrumors newbie

So, it's day 12 of my brand new macbook pro. My niece spilled water on it. I had put on the moshi keyboard protector and the palm rest, so, i am not sure how much water went in it. I dried and turned it off immediately. Would you guys exchange it this situation?

2. iZero, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

iZero macrumors regular

Ah, that really sucks :( I've read that you need to keep it off for at least 72 hours and clean/dry the exterior and as much of the internals as you can. not sure if that's true... Perhaps someone will chime in about that specifically. It's possible that no water got in, or there could have been a lot... But sadly, Apple will likely not exchange it if water's been spilled on it and caused any damage. They don't cover accidental damage, only manufacturing defects.

3. DD3 macrumors newbie

Im not sure if there will take it back but there was other thread discussing same situation

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1111824&highlight=spilled

have look

Good luck

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Take of the back cover and leave it dry for 3 days.

Here's a thread i made a year ago when it happened to mine.
    It did work out well!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=793721&highlight=

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

The MBP or the niece?

6. entilda thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the support guys!

@Tears Apart

Funny :) wouldn't exchange the niece for the world. Not even for her mother (my sister) :)

@ DD3 and Clutz

Thanks for the link. This is very helpful. It's turned off right now, and trying. I do think the keyboard protector prevented water going in. The only part I am worried about is the trackpad. Water might have gone in from the edges there.

@izero
    Within the 14 day period, they take it no questions asked. They give you a new one without even opening the old box. A friend of mine exchanged hers after sitting on it actually. Anyway, I didn't want to do it, if there is no serious damage. I wish there was a way to know before the 72 hours. It is still turned off.

7. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

:)

Two years ago I spilled a cup of joe on my MBP keyboard. Dried it out and still rocking as of today. Well had to change the fried keyboard, but as you can see there is hope.

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

This is my nightmare situation. My housemate's brother spilled beer all over her MacBook last year. I have a rule where my computer is absolutely and unequivocally, under NO circumstances EVER allowed to be level with or beneath ANY kind of liquids. Ever.

9. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Watch out, you are made of 55% water! :eek:

10. iZero macrumors regular

Didn't realize they'd take a damaged one back! Sorry :) If they will, then it might be worth it to do that... You have 2 days left, right? So if the rule is 72 hours, it'd be cutting it awfully close :/ That being the case, knowing now that you can, if it were me I guess I'd go ahead and take it back, to be on the safe side...

11. eaf7s macrumors regular

I've trained myself to sneeze foam peanuts and cry smoke.

12. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Sadly he is wrong they will not take back a damaged unit. If something is fried they will know they do a quick diagnostic to make sure the machine is working and its the same model you purchased.

13. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

lmao

14. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Tip - Put your MBP in a tray of rice, to make sure that every little bit of water is out of that thing!! Rice is highly absorbent and won't damage your MBP.

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

This is the first time I've laughed out loud while reading MacRumors. :D

To the OP: Definitely just let it sit. Don't plug it in to the wall, or bother turning it on for at least a couple days. If when you turn it on it makes any weird noises or acts up, hold the power button to turn it off, then just take it in and get a replacement.