Day after Mueller warns of continued interference - McConnell blocks two election security bills

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 25, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Truly amazing.

1. Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) had tried to get consent Thursday to pass a House bill that requires the use of paper ballots and includes funding for the Election Assistance Commission. It passed the House 225-184 with one Republican voting for it.

2. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) also asked for consent to pass legislation that would require candidates, campaign officials and their family members to notify the FBI of assistance offers from foreign governments.

McConnell also objected to that bill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/454742-mcconnell-blocks-two-election-security-bills

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

If Trump vetoes the 9/11 bill, McConnell has stated he won't take a vote to bypass the President on any vetoed bills. Losers.

3. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Oh man we so badly need a new junior senator from the great state of Kentucky no matter the fate of Trump. What is wrong with McConnell... he's like the stereotype of a pit bull. Or worse, he's just demonstrating complete cowardice of GOP leadership to the dog-wagging tail of their party.

4. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Coward.

5. Zenithal, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

That's not nice. They like being called turkeys. At least he does. Gobble gobble.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    I said this the other day, and while I don't advocate violence, I hope Rand Paul's crazy neighbor punches him again. All they want are warm bodies to do the grunt work and nothing more.

6. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Ha ha. They actually call Mitch "the turtle" behind his back.

There's a verse in the King James version of the bible's Song of Solomon that makes reference to the voice of the turtle, altlhough in later translations some versions have it as "turtle dove".

"...And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land..."

For Mitch I'd say it's the King James version we gotta go with.

7. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

Does anyone have a link to the bill?
    Actually it has nothing to do with only using paper ballots. States have to provide a “paper trail” for ballots cast and “voting machines must be manufactured in the USA.” i.e. Electronic Voting Machines. I don’t see how this actually improves ballot integrity. Also why can’t states demand this for themselves and use common sense. Don’t connect voting machines to the internet—ever. Make sure that two or more people sign off on a machine before it is used. Camera surveillance on machines 24/7 so no one can tamper with them once they are signed off, etc.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Now I have this image of a cocaine-snorting tortle.

9. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

It's just tiresome watching Mitch play out such a hyperpartisan resistance to the changing of the times. The Republicans were on the right track after 2012, trying to switch up their demographic appeal. Their right wing caucus wasn't having it and made a lot of noise. Instead of swatting them down, and doubling down on extending the party's reach, they instead just hunkered down and said ok ok we hear ya and we're gonna go out in a blaze of obstinate glory. How f'd up is that.

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

I thought that connection from his wife's family was sketchy. It's about as reliable as me saying Mitch McConnell and his wife have contacts with various Triads.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Right now, "the President isn't above the law" is untrue, because he's certainly gotten away with quite a lot thus far. And since what was once the Republican Party is now the party of Trumpism, they seem afraid to move the needle even a little bit. Probably a combination of not wanting to look like they only won because of help, afraid of Trump and his supporters, etc. Very sad for our democratic process, which already wasn't that great to begin with on account of the last two presidents on the right taking office without a majority of voter support.

While I do not want to see partisanship destroy congressional and presidential norms, many already have been, and its important for those on the right to remember power will change eventually, and the left will have no choice but to play hardball and see an eye for an eye.

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

McConnell is worried that if we have free and fair elections, more Democrats will be elected.

14. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

More and more I wonder if democracy really works? It illustrates that any system is only as good as the people participating in it, garbage in, garbage out.

That said, I don’t have a proposal for a better system, but maybe through technology, a straight democracy moving away from the winner take all. But I’m not versed well enough to make specific counter proposals because I look at the type of system the UK has, major and minor representation in government based on vote totals, and this does not seem to be keeping them out of the woods regarding Brexit.

An easy suggestion fir an I orovement is Instant Runoff Voting. This allows people to prioritize their vote and not worry about throwing their vote away.

15. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Yeah well unfortunately talking first about switching up to instant runoff or whatever is not going to convert the electorate into a critically thinking mass of potential voters.

Democracy works but it doesn't equate to populism per se (one man, one vote for a terrible idea is still a vote for a terrible idea) and it sure doesn't work well under certain circumstances including

when people think "my way or the highway"

when people think that there is no such thing as a public good
    when people cannot agree on definitions of public good

when people do not regard taxation and government expenditures as agreement to invest in the public good and to share in the cost of making that investment

when people think anything or everything should be "free"

when people think power to write the rulebooks must rise with amount of wealth owned

when as you say people just drop out (for whatever reason) from trying to help shape the rule of law that we all must live under together.​

there must be more, help me out here

So how to fix enough of that so people think democracy can work and want to play a part?

try remembering there's a reason for the existence of "the golden rule" all this time across so many different religions and societies. It's what works best: trying to treat other people the way one would like to be treated in any situation.

yes we would all like to be treated like a king... treating others like a king, not so much.​

quit teaching kids that the only way to play any game is to win it.

teach critical thinking. lol don't confuse that with screaming "no ****ing way!"

stop bad mouthing "the government" as if it were not us, governing ourselves.

stop stereotyping government workers as if they were not us, governing ourselves.

get out there and delegate a little less of right to self-governance, start thinking and talking more in public about how that self governance should work... that's a step towards becoming a public servant.. and probably letting go of some of that anonymity that lets us rant about our existing public servants in ways that cause people not to want to join that class.

stop badmouthing a free and indie press, the free exchange of information and ideas is the one sure thing between us and tyranny. don't let one group or person become the sole arbiter of "fact" or "truth". Don't suppress information: shine a light on it.

what else?

heh it's good to get in on this game early. I'm off to pick cherry tomatoes now...

16. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Outstanding observations. Liberalism made huge inroads under Roosevelt, because average people felt they were getting the shaft, again in the 60s with civil rights. We thought we were marching forward.

I heard an interview on NPR yesterday about a significant crack in the march of Liberalism, which I had not heard before and it involved racism and... de-segregation. There was a case that went to the Supreme Court concerning separate but equal. Not only did the SC rule that separate but equal was not only, not equal, but it was not constitutional.

It was alleged that this ruling propelled Nixon into the White House. Ever since them, the country appears to be diverging politically from that point forward. Conservatism, whatever that embodies for those that support it gained traction under level the playing field measures that were being taken. Imo, this does not put conservatism in a good light.

17. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Wow, it's dead in here. I guess there are some things that the conservatives/Trump supporters want to steer clear of or can't find a way to spin it to make it sound like this is a reasonable position to take.

18. LordVic macrumors 603

Democracy works, it just requires constant vigilance by the populace to ensure that it kept working and fair, and that the charter/constitution that overseas it is entrenched, robust and logically outlined so to maximize the understanding of it. Ambiguity in a constitution leads to loopholes which leads to power struggles.

enough loopholes and enough power struggles and you inevitably have those who would abuse those loopholes for their own gain, or to amass individual powers, leading to the death of democracy.

19. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Seems like winning is what matters, integrity? Not so much.

20. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

McConnell's less concerned with elections than the judiciary that forms part of the checks and balances on legislative powers. It is true though that he's no fan of the Voting Rights Act and is not averse to state election boards trying to suppress voters they think might lean left... and because the Russians decided to throw in against Clinton last time around, regardless of how effecdtive that was, McConnell does seem uninterested in election security improvements.

Maybe he assumes the Russians will not side with the Democrats next time around. Mueller just warned everyone that not only Russians but other foreign nations have escalated their attempts to mess with our elections. So far McConnell seems unperturbed.

Basically Mitch knows that with its current platform and the USA demographic trends, the GOP as currently construed and directed is in a slow death spiral, because the trend of the full potential electorate in the USA is not likely to sign up to be Republican voters.

The Rs thanks to Trump have dog-whistled up the xenophobes and racists to an audible roar, and between that and the focus on enriching the already wealthy and kicking the 18-34yos in the ribs while they're still racking up or paying off student debt, well... the younguns are looking around for some other political home.

Hence McConnell's focus primarily on packing the federal judiciary with right-leaning ideologues while the Senate is still by a thin margin under the GOP's control.

If a President makes conservative appointments and a conservative-led Senate confirms the appointments, the effect of a liberal House of Representatives and the liberal members of the US Senate is muted. Which is to say that liberal voters' views of those appointments are also essentially muted and we can end up with ideologically conservative federal judges.

That suggestion is a bit unfair in the sense it assumes all federal judges are ideologues, and also assumes a highly ideological judge can actually manage frequently to sway rulings that the Supreme Court will later find unconstitutional. Those are together a generally but not always unwarranted assumption, and the "lean" of a court panel might be either way.

But the Supreme Court justices are also appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate. In cases where the Constitution as amended seems to leave room for interpretation, a swing vote who's an ideologue either way can seem to cause a series of 5-4 decisions that leave the public with the perceptions of a partisan court.

Federal Article III Judges

Article III courts are general trial courts and can hear any kind of federal case. These include the federal trial courts, appellate courts, and the Supreme Court. The judges for these courts are nominated by the President and confirmed by Congress. Once in office, the judges can remain in their positions for life.

Federal Article I Judges

Article I courts are created by Congress to administer the laws that Congress writes. These can include bankruptcy courts, tax courts, and certain military courts. Judges are appointed by Congress and serve for 10 years, after which they may be reappointed.

source: https://litigation.findlaw.com/legal-system/how-are-judges-selected.html

There has been a traditional (if wearing thin now) view in the Senate that a President is entitled to his choices of court nominees, agency heads etc so long as they are generically "qualified" to do the job. That doesn't fly well in polarized environment and there are assumptions that Presidents try to pick ideologues as judicial nominees, so we see many more close votes than lopsided ones on presidential appointments now.

McConnell figures a 5-4 or better yet a 6-3 right-leaning SCOTUS plus federal trial and appellate courts that lean right too will solve the GOP's impending inability to legislate their goals.

The problem is Mitch has shepherded in some right-leaning ideologues as nominees to the bench who received "low/unqualified" assessments per the American Bar Association, and he's apparently been like "so what? we're going to have the vote now." The Dems don't like this, so we get these narrow R-majority approvals... and McConnell is packing them in as fast as he can because the Rs already lost the House... and when they finally lose the Senate, the Republicans are facing real headwinds on policy even if they hold the Presidency.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

After reading through these proposals, I am not seeing where these are;
    1. bi-partisan solutions
    2. not seeing where this is really fixing anything especially in time for the 2020 elections.

Now after reading the newest Senate Report on the 2016 interference ...

This looks like politics not solutions.

22. jerwin macrumors 68020

Screw bipartisanship. One group of partisans wants to benefit from foreign assistance, and the other group of partisans are their sworn enemy.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Maybe.
    However after reading the info on these I am not seeing a solution. I'm seeing politicking and band-aids.
    Wasted money.

24. jerwin macrumors 68020

If we governed ourselves non politically, politicians would be invoking the spectre of "unelected bureaucrats" taking away our sovereignty. Bipartisanship is an excuse to do nothing of consequence.

25. Huntn, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I agree but stand by the premise that any system is only as good as the people running it.