Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hi, perhaps a very straightforward question. I'm looking to keep a journal / photo journal, that I'd like to eventually print into a book. Day One seems a popular choice but I'm looking at a very significant price difference in the iOS and mac versions, so what's the reasons to pay more for the mac one? Other than I'd prefer to type longer entries using proper keyboard.

Thanks

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Hardly any.
Worse, when you use both iOS and macOS and obviously keep them in sync, your DayOne entries will be exposed to Dropbox/iCloud with no need for the password to open them in an ordinary text editor.
I know, an unbelievable flaw – but my reason for not using the macOS version.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks Gerrit. I didn't even consider the security issue, would that still be the case with the Day One v2? I thought it was syncing through their own servers.

I'm put off slightly about going down the iOS route as would it not be a bit of a chore to type up entries on the phone? But it would be useful as a companion app to quickly add photos/notes. Are there any other options to consider?

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
Thanks Gerrit. I didn't even consider the security issue, would that still be the case with the Day One v2? I thought it was syncing through their own servers.

I'm put off slightly about going down the iOS route as would it not be a bit of a chore to type up entries on the phone? But it would be useful as a companion app to quickly add photos/notes. Are there any other options to consider?
[doublepost=1476215718][/doublepost]day one no longer supports dropbox or iCloud. only their own sync service. which is a shame, I used Day One Classic still for both iOS and Mac and use them often. (my security concern is not on computer, but cloud-wise)

the question is: where / how do you plan to journal?

If you are doing it where you are, the get an iphone app. If it is reflective, then something for the computer.

That said. honestly? as much as I love dayone, there is very little it does that a plain text file can't do. Perhaps something more like ByWord would work, or even Google Docs or Pages.

Because when you go to turn it into a book, you'll need to put it in something else for formatting anyways.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Funny you mention Pages, I am just playing about with it at the minute thinking I could get a template going and it or another text editor may do just as good job. All I need is a tidy format for a couple of pics and the text. I'll probably just be typing up the entries at home and would prefer proper keyboard anyway.

I looked online briefly and saw that you could export DayOne entries to pdf, which I figured would be all you needed to get a book made on Blurb or such like. (To be fair, I haven't looked into that side of things yet so that may become a future thread).

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Just to follow up again, spent this evening playing with Pages and maybe the simple options are the best. Stick a date for a title, type up the entry and add a photo or two = job done. Page is set to paper size that's likely to be printed, but that can be fine tuned later when the time comes.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I love DayOne for both the iOS and MacOS. Not cheap, but I love that it adds other information such as location & weather. Perhaps useless info to some, but it might be neat looking back at it in the future.

Plus, I love the additions of photographs.

I don't think I have the latest version however. I need to look at that - been way too busy with other stuff.

That said, I absolutely love the sync feature. Pages would have this, but I love being about to type about anything wherever I am and have it synced together.

So for me, it was worth it. Pages might do the trick for you as well.

But honestly, in that case, I would end up using iBooks Author.

The only caveat would be whether or not iBA locks down the file type and what the export options are for different book formats. I've only produced 1 for a family trip itinerary - not for consumption outside our house.

Bottom line: enjoy the process with whichever software you choose. I enjoy journaling. By far not an expert, but I'll have something for my kids to read some day. :)

Cheers
Brian

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I love DayOne for both the iOS and MacOS. Not cheap, but I love that it adds other information such as location & weather. Perhaps useless info to some, but it might be neat looking back at it in the future.

Plus, I love the additions of photographs.

I don't think I have the latest version however. I need to look at that - been way too busy with other stuff.

That said, I absolutely love the sync feature. Pages would have this, but I love being about to type about anything wherever I am and have it synced together.

So for me, it was worth it. Pages might do the trick for you as well.

But honestly, in that case, I would end up using iBooks Author.

The only caveat would be whether or not iBA locks down the file type and what the export options are for different book formats. I've only produced 1 for a family trip itinerary - not for consumption outside our house.

Bottom line: enjoy the process with whichever software you choose. I enjoy journaling. By far not an expert, but I'll have something for my kids to read some day. :)

Cheers
Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Really all I'm looking to do is to put a journal together for my kids (and kids kids) to read one day. One that has some pictures and stories of them growing up and hopefully gives an idea of what they and their old man were like.

I was focusing on printing as I know a book will work in 40yrs time, but not sure a digital file on an obsolete server would.
Day one looked nice, but I'll probably be desk bound when writing up, so I can just use phone for snaps and quick notes to use.
(Sorry this thread has gone somewhat off topic).

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
the PDF output from Day One is pretty simple, and offers no formatting options. I don't suspect it is the best choice for book formatting.

As someone who has made books, my suggestion is to separate the writing and the layout in your mind.

Reactions: HouseACA

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007

I use it for my most private journaling, and I hate the security issues but I have yet to find a better solution for a journaling app that allows you to easily add photos (which can be saved only to the app and not the photo roll). They have discussed switched to a new end-to-end encrypted system, but for now its not secure. I really would like to use the Mac version, but I have that my private entries would be visible to anyone.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thanks for the reply Brian.

Really all I'm looking to do is to put a journal together for my kids (and kids kids) to read one day. One that has some pictures and stories of them growing up and hopefully gives an idea of what they and their old man were like.

I was focusing on printing as I know a book will work in 40yrs time, but not sure a digital file on an obsolete server would.
Day one looked nice, but I'll probably be desk bound when writing up, so I can just use phone for snaps and quick notes to use.
(Sorry this thread has gone somewhat off topic).

Right on. I'd look at iBooks Author too. Might be some neat options for adding photos. I also wonder what the printing options would be for including video clips to comment on even those the video obviously wouldn't work in print.

Nonetheless, a great idea and I'm sure something our kids will appreciate some day :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I just do a few screen grabs from a video and put that in.

I know you've made up your mind already, but for anyone else... Day One does JSON and Plain Text exports too. Their PDF export is terribly focused on maps, photos, and very little on the writing itself.

But, the two other options give you a zip with a folder of photos, and then a file with all the text. The Plain Text is formatted as Markdown and then the JSON is all this formatted data that includes the additional health/location data.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I just realized you can set Facebook posts to be visible only to you, thereby using Facebook as a private journal. However, that is 100% certain to backfire on every single person who tries to do that, when you screw up the privacy settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.