Daylight saving time/Metric System

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'd vote for anyone who would convert the USA to the metric system and to just leave the clocks alone this Halloween. Don't we want that "extra" hour of sunlight in the winter when we have such short days to begin with? I don't care that its dark in the morning later, I want everyone's fat kids to have extra time after school to run around in the sun light.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You have it backwards. DST is during the summer, when the government wants you to get up earlier so that you will have time to shop when it is still light out. Somebody once thought it was good for the economy. Nowadays, when it is so easy to spend your money, it has been touted as an energy-saving measure. Too bad DST causes more energy to be used. No kidding:

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/REST_a_00131#.ViqSENWrTIU

Unfortunately, DST seems to be just about the only thing that Republicans and Democrats can agree on.

Anyway, if you want to get up earlier in the winter, who is stopping you?

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

no kidding
    [​IMG]

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Confused by your post. DST ends in a week, and it the sun goes down earlier after we set the clocks back. I just like the extra light in the evening.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Now that is a shocker. The only thing they agree on makes no real difference anyhow.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Tell that to Indiana. ;)

BL.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

If everyone's fat kids aren't running around in the summer, I highly doubt they're going to run around in the winter. How about we just leave it alone?

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm gonna be that guy. I've seen this before and I get the joke but it also doesn't really make sense. Nobody said we have a longer day because of DST, we all know its just trading an hour of sunlight in the morning for an extra at night.
    At least I hope we do.
    Don't we?

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think they should split the difference and call it quits. DST made sense originally, when the vast majority of people worked the land. It no longer makes any sense, or any difference.

I'm with ya on converting to metric, too.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't stand the time changes, like you I'd really like to just pick a time and be done with it.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

it would be nice, sucks I am going out with my everyday walk with my dog and it's freaking dark as hell.
    I take her out every day, I get off work late so it sucks if its dark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I settle for taking her to Bass pro since it's already dark outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Right but we have to pick when to leave it alone. During DST or during standard time?

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And, I like the extra light in the morning, when kids are riding their bicycles to school. I take it you are on a pre-determined work schedule where you can't get to work earlier/leave earlier?

Oh, I forgot to mention the metric system. It used to be a big deal, before computers and all. Now, unit conversion is free and easy. Why do you care?

The thing that gets me is why half the world drives on the left and half on the right. If you want to standardize something, standardize that. Too bad we didn't all standardize 100 years ago. Almost impossible now because high-speed roads are designed with direction in mind.

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Awesome dog. I wish I had an indoor place to walk mine around in. What is this paradise?

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And Arizona. The only good thing politically to happen in Arizona in 35 years.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Petition your state governor if you don't like it. Here in Canada, Saskatchewan has implement permanent DST. Think of the savings!

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

It's kind of nice out here in the summer when it's still a little sunny at 10 pm.

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, my wife says the same thing about the morning. She's a teacher so she gets up earlier then me and likes the extra sun in the morning not at night. I am on a pre-d work schedule but its in at noon one day, 10 AM on other days. I hate leaving at 7 or a little earlier and its pitch black out.
    I don't care about the metric system like its a huge deal. Its a pet peeve. Just seems like good old fashioned USA stubbornness to me. I remember when we were going to switch but that failed.
    And funny about the driving thing, cause I was thinking about that, too.. But that would be beyond impossible and, really, its no big deal ASFAIK. You rent a car in another country, you drive on the other side. Unless there are countries you can drive to and from in Europe that have different side rules. I can see how the borders might be a little crazy.

20. zin macrumors 6502

I say leave it permanently in DST. I really like the dark mornings.

21. dec. Suspended

dec.

Since you asked about the metric system as well - yes, please, finally get rid of that junky imperial crap. Unfortunately one of many disadvantages of being a border country of the US is the perpetuated existence of hilarious units like "inches" or "feet". We did convert to metric but apparently once again, the conservatives stalled the process at some point. I really don't understand how a rational person could favour the sloppy ounces over precise grams (apply this to all sorts of measurements :) ).

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I say switch to the metric system immediately. Only exception is roads.

As bad as anyone thinks imperial units are, they're 1000 times worth when you have to use them in Chemical Engineering, and American refineries still do it.

23. dec. Suspended

dec.

Roads? You think that people can read 100 but not 125 or vice versa? Why another system?

I've read that engineers work with all systems, that's fine but I do think that metric is far easier to handle on a day to day basis.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm used to metric now when driving, but it took a while, grocery store is still all lbs though and everyone else seems to use it as well.

Asking for a kilo of something just feels weird.

25. dec. Suspended

dec.

Really? I've never felt weird about asking for a few hundred grams of anything and obviously the meat packaging etc. is laid out for the metric system too (all of our grocery stores show grams, not ounces). But again, the conservatives seemed to want to insist on the imperial system, so I can see why certain people are slightly ...err... "slow" about it :) .