Daylight savings keep it or junk it

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 7, 2016.

?

What to keep

1. Daylight savings forever. Later evenings

34 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Standard time forever. Earlier mornings

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Keep it as it is, I like being screwed up for a week twice a year.

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Because who wants to talk about the election anymore. A worthy discussion about time.

If you could pick one to keep forever would you choose daylight savings and longer evenings or standard time and lighter mornings. This would mean we abolish the time change forever and just keep one.

2. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

It's an archaic practice. It probably made sense for an era when the USA was still an agrarian (or partially agrarian) society.

Daylight is important for things like farmers, ranchers, lumberjacks, and maybe construction workers. No longer as important for modern urban occupations.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Make it permanent. As said, it's a relic of an agrarian society.

Same for Election Day, move it to an Election Weekend.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I find it interesting that twice a year the USA basically tells the rest of the world that they need to conform to our time keeping if you're doing international business and are trying to get ahold of someone at a certain time.

Makes you think...

5. cube macrumors G5

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Well, not all of the USA performs these semi-annual clock twitches.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Time for it to go. Can't believe we kept it this long in the first place.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

luckily I can just change my schedule so I don't change my life I get up a hour earlier now but still the same time for my body.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I cannot stand the sun setting at 5PM. Even 6PM in the winter if things stayed with Daylight Savings Time, but that hour is better than nothing.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We're hardly the only country that observes DST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

11. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Not really. Farmers have always worked as dictated by the cows and the sun, not by the clock. They couldn't care less what the clock says. The myth about farming was just a scam to sell the whole thing to the city-dwellers.

That being said, I'm all for scrapping it.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Cows wouldn't care which time setting we picked to stick with. They just want the schedule to remain the same.

If we quit swtiching, I'd prefer effects of DST, more light into the evening. I get up early so it's dark anyway in the morning except in mid summer. Love having daylight last way long then, and it would be nice not having it be pitch dark by 5pm in November, December.

14. cube macrumors G5

The problem is when the whole supply chain keeps the same hours.

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'd kill for sun setting at 5PM here. :( Around 3:30 it's setting and almost dark. See you in 5 months, sunlight.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I couldn't imagine. I would go stir crazy. Even last night, sun was down at about 5PM here and just no. Its depressing! Sun sets tonight at 4:56PM. Yuck.

17. cube macrumors G5

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

19. aces99, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

I wish they would just stay DST all year. I hate having it dark at 4:30 in the winter time. 5:30 would be better. I vote to keep DST all year round.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think I got the answer, lets just move the clocks forward a half hour in spring (a split-the-difference kind of thing), and leave it at that. No need to adjust anymore, save for those leap seconds every few years or so to correct for earth's rotation / orbital position in space.

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'll take Standard Time, please, through the winter.

I never really cared much one way or another until I had little kids. Now it matters a lot. The last couple of weeks have been really rough mornings getting a bunch of little kids ready for school when the sun was rising after they got to school. In another 2 months it wouldn't be up for more than an hour after they got to school and I go to work. That'd be close to 9am if we kept DST permanent. Given that most of the work world is at work by or before then, I would bet that a study would verify that there are real productivity benefits to having some light in the morning.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup either keep it later all year or split the difference, change by 30 minutes one last time and keep it like that. And go to the freakin' metric system already.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Need one more poll option - Don't care, just pick one and stay with it.

I was wide awake at 5:00am this morning. :( I have trouble sleeping past 6 as it is even when I can, so I sure don't want to be awake any earlier.

24. garirry, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

DST is crap. Shouldn't exist anymore. It's incredibly disorienting, doesn't actually save any money in the modern world, and is a mess from a technological and logistical standpoint. For example, since Australia is in the south hemisphere and the time the DST states switch to and from DST is different than from North America, it effectively means that the time difference between the eastern coast and the eastern australian coast can be between 14 and 16 hours! That makes no sense at all! Not to mention Europe switches back from DST one week earlier, effectively meaning I have to remember that London is 4 hours earlier and not 5 for like one week. It's downright confusion.

It's also incredibly retarded, why do people assume we don't need later sunlight in winter? Despite living on °45 N (meanwhile Europe is densely populated even until like °60 N), it's already getting dark at around 4 PM in the winter. We don't need light in the morning, most people aren't active at that time anyway, they're just taking their bus or whatever. Use your brains to save light, not your clocks!

What I advocate is simple. Use standard time. Make sure that roughly 12:00 PM is solar noon and roughly 12:00 AM is solar midnight. However, make sure people wake up earlier. You should change your schedule in order to save light, not the damn time itself! That's such a bad way to fix the issue! Or maybe invent some sort of metric time and apply it together with the schedule change, I think it'd be easier than just having all stores open one hour earlier. But if they just adopt a permanent DST time system I wouldn't be against it that much.

I've already given up DST and at that point I "change" my schedule in order to keep permanent non-DST time, which means I go to sleep one hour "later" in the summer, despite it being the same. Non-DST is actually incredibly hindering for me because I am a night owl and I am active pretty much as long as nobody else is awake, having other people go to sleep one hour later and effectively reducing my working time, as I can't go to sleep too late because I need to fall asleep before sunrise at any cost.

Incredible that such a large amount of the world still believes in the "positive" effects of DST! Both Canada and America use DST almost exclusively, Europe uses DST entirely, New Zealand and a lot of Australia use DST, and even states in AU that don't use it apparently had people advocate it. An idiotic practice that should die as soon as possible! I can't wait for when I'll be like 70 and say "remember when we used to change our clocks every half a year? that was ****ing horrible".

25. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Technically it's the US that switches back one week later, not Europe that switches back earlier. It used to be the same date but then the Republicans changed it in order to ruin Halloween by giving it more daylight. True story!