DBest to hold off buying DDR3 ram for new mb/mbps?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sarah3585, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. sarah3585 macrumors regular

    sarah3585

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    #1
    Have just purchased one of the new mbps. I really wanted 4gb of ram as that's what I have in my imac and have seen the benefits, but due to the price I have stuck with the 2gb. Critical seem to be about £90 for 2x 2gb sticks. Any chance of that coming down in price over the next 3/4 months? Or do people think it wont come down and it's best to buy now and get a few extra months of the 4gb?
     
  2. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #2
    I have the same problem. I 'm going to buy MBP in 1-2 weeks and was checking the memory upgrade options. Apple charges 86 pounds and I checked newegg.com and buy.com in USA the cheapest u could find was 89 for 2 GB which makes 178 dollars for 4 gb.

    Right now it seems Apple charges the market price for DDR3.
     
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #3
    I just bought a 4GB kit (2x2GB) @ Crucial for $141. DDR3 SO-DIMMS are expensive now, of course, because they are so new. No doubt prices will come down. They always do. But for $141 its not really worth waiting vs. the increase in productivity 4GB will give me immediately.
     
  4. can7ona macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    I guess if you can live with 2Gb now then it's best to wait... the new MBPs are meant to be much easier to add RAM to further down the line. But, if you can't then Apple seems to be reasonable for once!

    In the UK I've always found dabs.com to be the cheapest and their customer service isn't too bad!
     

Share This Page