DDoS attacks on Healthcare.Gov?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. macred macrumors regular

DDoS or not. It's the late night comedy material that provides a brief respite from the ugly reality of being led around like a ship with no rudder.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Precisely. The amount of hate leveled at this is immense. It should be built to withstand a DDOS attack.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

DDoS attacks, and, other attacks, are a constant fact of life today for any large website regardless of its content or purpose. Every website that has any presence at all, and, is expected to be operating 24-7, has to be built to withstand a lot of pressure from hostile traffic. And, that goes double for websites that have databases behind them containing valuable information that someone could sell at a profit.

7. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

ZDnet is such a ... unique place, when it comes to comments.

As for the DDoS attack, I don't know why people do these things. It won't make the ACA stop being enacted, it'll just make it harder for the average citizen to comply.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Considering how hated Obamacare is, I'd be astounded if hackers weren't employed or self-motivated to try their hand at attacking it.

It would seem a logical political move, to bring down the system partially responsible for the program you couldn't stop by normal political means.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hmmm.. The typical Tea Party "patriots" don't look like a uber leet hacker force to be reckoned with, but perhaps their looks are deceiving...

[​IMG]

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They've at least got the money to hire someone.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hmm... Think I'll swing by the local Senior Center wearing my black Fedora and "botnets for hire" t-shirt and see if I get any bites...

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd keep the message simple and straight forward ... "Will Crash Obamacare for Cash."

Or cookies.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another day, another excuse. No, old retired people aren't organizing ddos attacks. Even if they had money its illegal.

Your website still was just money poorly spent and poorly organized, typical government affair.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And we know that since it's illegal, no one would dare try it.

:rolleyes:

15. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So I take it you have proof that there really wasn't a DDoS attack?

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Who knows what evil lurks...

Did anyone ever provide actual "proof" that a DDos attack had actually taken place?

The original source of this information, a blog posting Marc Eisenbarth on Arbor Networks, said:

The author then went on to say:

And then countless "tech sites" on the 'Net pick up the story and regurgitated it, with some sites using a headline with a question mark on the end -- Evidence of DDoS attack on Healthcare.gov? -- while others did not -- New DoS attack directed at Healthcare.gov..

But hey, "it's the Web", so don't expect much "journalism" to come into play. :eek:

17. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Considering you just basically said "all the online sources are wrong", you're making an impossible task. Several people are reporting that it did happen. You're saying it isn't.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Keep in mind: If I said the weather report "calls for rain" that doesn't mean that "I'm happy as hell it's going to rain, because I hate dry days!".

Again, the original source of the information said:

What is your interruption of what that means?

19. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I interpret that as meaning that there hasn't been a big attack, that it hasn't succeeded. We do know the system is out there, but they're saying it hasn't succeeded.

20. localoid, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The "system" that's "out there" couldn't succeed -- because this tool (in and by itself) is "unlikely to succeed", according to original source of the information:

Then the source goes on to say:

And that's basically about all the "facts" we know...

ASERT didn't say "it didn't succeed", they said "it was unlikely to succeed".

21. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

A failed attack is still an attack.

I was mostly putting up the article to face-palm the idea of DDoS-ing the site, as if there's a good reason to.

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If I'd read only the article you linked to @ ZDNet, I would probably have gotten that impression as well.

However, there's no evidence offered in the original source of this information that a "failed attack" took place or that any attack took place, for that matter.

Please carefully read the original source again.

The ASERT posting does not not claim, anywhere in the article, that they have any evidence what-so-ever regarding the use of the "DoS Tool".

So yes, the ZDNet article "jumps to conclusions" that may or may not have actually taken place.

Oh I totally agree. The "DoS Tool" is incredibly lame. It's (1) lame as a "DoS Tool" (too lame to succeed) and (2) in-general the the whole concept is a lamer than lame way to express one's political dissent.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The problem with answering the question of whether or not there is or was an attack that made the site less reliable, is that the site has already shown to be so unreliable on its own. It's hard to run out of gas, when you already have a flat tire.

This kind of thing will be more interesting when normal = humming along.

24. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

The site has been working for me recently.

Also, looks like it wasn't just a rumor
    http://www.examiner.com/article/right-wing-cyber-attacks-on-healthcare-gov-website-confirmed

25. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Hard to have effective government when those who don't believe in it, are willing to destroy it to prove they are right.