[DEAD] Discovery about AT&T & Verizon discounts, all of Facebook is eligible! [DEAD]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themadrussian, Jan 12, 2011.

1. themadrussian, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

themadrussian macrumors regular

UPDATE: This no longer works. Sorry, all! They figured it out.

So I was looking up FAN discounts recently for a friend of mine, who was lamenting the fact that he does not qualify for any FAN discounts with AT&T. We discovered that our school's FAN does not provide service discounts on iPhone lines, so I thought about it for a while, and decided to try every e-mail address I have, just to see if AT&T's site (link here) would accept them.

Then I realized that Facebook has just been rolling out their "new messages" service (link here) which gives every Facebook user an e-mail address ending in @facebook.com. You can opt-in to this service right now but eventually it wil be rolled out to everyone (takes a few days to get an invite if you request one). This used to be Facebook's corporate e-mail domain, but they switched all their employees to @fbmail.com so that users can now get their own e-mail address.

I typed in my @facebook.com e-mail address, went to Facebook Messages, selected "Other", and saw an e-mail from AT&T. I clicked on the message, selected "Expand" (you cannot see the images/link in the e-mail without expanding the message) and clicked on the "shop now" link in the image, and was taken to AT&T's Premier website where I discovered a 12% service discount with AT&T. This includes the 2GB data plan and all of the voice plans.

Quickly, snap this up before AT&T realizes (or before Facebook tells them that they changed their corporate e-mail accounts). The best part is, you can just say you figured that AT&T might have a deal with Facebook and so you gave it a shot. AT&T never checks on FAN discounts after you set it up (online has no verification beyond e-mail) and you have it forever. Enjoy. :)

UPDATE: This also works for Verizon. 13% discount with Verizon on service and unlimited data (no discount on messaging or the 150MB data plan). Make sure you check your Facebook "Junk" folder (at the bottom of the "Other" page). My Verizon e-mail went in there.

Also, if you're having issues receiving the e-mail on Facebook once you've activated your Facebook e-mail address, see the post I've quoted below:

2. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Not bad. My company gets a discount already, but I'd jump on this if we didn't.

3. ~Lefty~ macrumors newbie

Same here.

4. SlasherKG macrumors member

Can AT&T cancel your number if they catch this or anything bad?

5. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

they could possibly end the FAN discount for recently enrolled email accounts using the loophole, but that's probably it.

6. SlasherKG macrumors member

Hmm, not sure I'm gonna risk it. Still a funny find though.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Very nice find. Hope they don't close it and reverse it.

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Does it only include the 2GB plan or would it also include the unlimited plan?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So it only includes the 2GB plan? What about 200MB and unlimited?

10. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

200 mb plans don't get FAN discounts, but 2 gig plans do. i pay 19 bucks for the 2 gig plan :)

11. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Try and make friends with someone at AT&T, butter them up and they might offer you a UPS logistics or Coca Cola discount worth 20%+

12. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

That's weird that your discounts are off of certain parts of your plan. My company just get's 24% off the total bill (before taxes of course)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For those wondering, the worst that can happen is your FAN # is revoked and you go back to paying full service. Unless, AT&T acts douchy, which I doubt at this point.

14. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

it's 25% off voice and data separately...which turns out to be the same, unless you get a 200 mb plan.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Q: How do I request a facebook mail invite? Ta.

16. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I just sent a request for an @facebook.com address and when it comes through, I'll give it a shot.

I'm currently grandfathered on the unlimited plan, so I hope it works

17. antman2295, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

antman2295 macrumors 6502

18% off Voice and Data

Mary Kay give 18% off of Voice and Data, Plus its a nice way to make some extra money ;) if you interested here is some contact info http://www.marykay.com/marilynz/Profile.aspx

*Also all you have to have to get it is an "official Mary Kay Business Card" which you can get when u become a consultant

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

USPS 25% off service and 50% off all accessories.

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Absolutely nothing will or ever has happened. Once you "obtain" a FAN it's yours.

20. themadrussian thread starter macrumors regular

I added my FAN (different company for which I am actually supposed to get a FAN) after they killed the unlimited data plan and it had no issues. I have unlimited data and get ~$16 off my bill every month (450 min 1500 texts unlim data - the texts are not discounted), but I have a 23% discount.

Yep. AT&T will never check once you have added it successfully to your account. You could work for UPS or Coca-Cola for a week, add your FAN discount, get fired, and 5 years later your discount will be chugging along.

AT&T really doesn't care.

21. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

TBS gets 30% off for Friends and Family if they can validate they know you and it requires your authorization as an employee. Not a bad discount, just wish it applied to u-verse and dsl...

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I get about 25% off with my fan discount = $22.50 a month for data.

23. snakelda macrumors 6502

I just tried my student email and get a 15% discount.

24. MissyD macrumors member

How can you find out your discount? I signed up with my company but only got a message that said my discount, if any, would appear on my next or following billing cycle. I must have missed something!