Dead Early 2011 MBP - repair/reball & sell or sell as is?

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
1,305
131
The title says it all. My 2011 MBP GPU took a dump and I'm trying to decide if it's worth repairing and then selling or just sell it as is. I haven't done a ton of research yet but I'm thinking that if I was to get it repaired, I would probably end up walking away with about the same amount of cash in my pocket after the repair costs vs just selling as is. Gazelle is not my best option. I would probably try for eBay or Clist first.
 

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
1,924
51
If you don't think you'll get any more money selling a fixed system, you might as well get rid of it in its broken state. I would first pull the RAM, hard drive, SuperDrive, and wireless/Bluetooth card and try to sell them separately.
 

Raunien

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
438
28
If you can get the reball with a new chip for a fair price, it might be worth it to get it repaired and sell it.
 

diannao

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
106
0
My early 2011 is currently getting repaired by Apple for this problem. I was told it would cost USD 310, YMMV. Seems like lots of these GPUs are going bad around now.
 

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
2,893
868
Had the exact same model and it went bust around new years, sold it for parts.
 

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
3,845
842
Manchester, UK
I'd get a reball with replacement GPU rather than take it to Apple, as the refurb logic boards will fail again very quickly.

Otherwise, strip it for parts.
 

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
2,893
868
How much did you get for it and did you sell any parts separately?
I got 200€ for it, with included 8 gb ram, optibay installed with 500gb hdd, superdrive, and charger. The body was in almost mint condition. The only thing i took out was my 512gb ssd. Bought a mid 2014 15" retina model with discrete graphics and am very satisfied with it, altough if my previous one havent failed i would probably kept it for at least 2 more years.
 

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
1,305
131
Finally got around to listing this on eBay. I decided to keep the SSD in it. I got $560 for it - way more than I was expecting!