Dead Early 2011 MBP - repair/reball & sell or sell as is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Jan 28, 2015.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

The title says it all. My 2011 MBP GPU took a dump and I'm trying to decide if it's worth repairing and then selling or just sell it as is. I haven't done a ton of research yet but I'm thinking that if I was to get it repaired, I would probably end up walking away with about the same amount of cash in my pocket after the repair costs vs just selling as is. Gazelle is not my best option. I would probably try for eBay or Clist first.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you don't think you'll get any more money selling a fixed system, you might as well get rid of it in its broken state. I would first pull the RAM, hard drive, SuperDrive, and wireless/Bluetooth card and try to sell them separately.

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

If you can get the reball with a new chip for a fair price, it might be worth it to get it repaired and sell it.

4. diannao macrumors regular

My early 2011 is currently getting repaired by Apple for this problem. I was told it would cost USD 310, YMMV. Seems like lots of these GPUs are going bad around now.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Had the exact same model and it went bust around new years, sold it for parts.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd get a reball with replacement GPU rather than take it to Apple, as the refurb logic boards will fail again very quickly.

Otherwise, strip it for parts.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

How much did you get for it and did you sell any parts separately?

8. Skika macrumors 68030

I got 200€ for it, with included 8 gb ram, optibay installed with 500gb hdd, superdrive, and charger. The body was in almost mint condition. The only thing i took out was my 512gb ssd. Bought a mid 2014 15" retina model with discrete graphics and am very satisfied with it, altough if my previous one havent failed i would probably kept it for at least 2 more years.

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Finally got around to listing this on eBay. I decided to keep the SSD in it. I got $560 for it - way more than I was expecting!