Dead/faulty pixel, or on-glass blemish? [rMBP]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edswr, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Edswr macrumors newbie

I received my lovely rMBP on Friday, and have since spent loads of time sorting out my files, customising, setting settings, and playing games.

To my horror, I spotted a bright white pixel when I started up the computer. I noticed this last night, and I'm pretty sure its new. Instantly I assumed it was a dead pixel; I've had them before on my iPod but they were colour. This one was white on every background, except white in which case it appears darker (than white, i.e. it doesn't disappear).

Upon further inspection, there is an odd scratch on the glass (I attach pictures) and all to coincidentally, the screen fault lies on the line. The pictures show how, even with the screen off completely, the mark is still visible. It looks like some sort of impact mark, but its very small and almost pixel like.

I'm very concerned, as obviously a dead pixel is not desirable. Even more so, damaged glass resulting in a faulty display is worse. Obviously this is possible, but why would a small scratch have such an effect? I have tried cleaning it but it makes no difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white speck below my camera lens
    [​IMG]
    Hard to see the scratch without smudge so I wiped my finger across the area
    [​IMG]
    Below the C in Can't
    [​IMG]
    To the left of 'Th'

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Take it to the Apple store and request a replacement. Or just call Apple and ask for a new one and see if they'll let you keep this one until the replacement arrives.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Well an impact to the LCD panel can absolutely cause damage to the pixels. The impact must have been strong enough to deflect the shape of the display enough to damage the panel. Was this caused by you or shipped this way from Apple?

4. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

I am curious what you used to clean the screen with ?????? :eek:

Looks like you took some sandpaper to it, especially that 3rd pic down.

5. Edswr thread starter macrumors newbie

It certainly does look that way but it is just the way the flash caught the greasy smudge from my finger.

I have barely moved the thing at all, although I did have it in a large bag with it inside the box. After I moved it yesterday and used it, I didn't notice a thing. When I used it later on I noticed it immediately. I can't say for sure if it's been there from the start.

Curiously, the mark matches up to below the space bar, as if some pressure could have been put on the screen by the edge where the keyboard sinks. I'm anxious now as I don't want to be stuck with that pixel! I it was from impact surely it would be larger than a single pixel?

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Obvious answer return the machine to Apple, and they will replace it, as the surface of the display is damaged, the longer you wait the harder it will be to exchange.

7. PaulAtkinson macrumors member

I had the same problem.

I exchanged by rMBP, due to a defect in the glass, JUST like this. Clearly, there was a dimple in the glass, and clearly it was a manufacturing defect. Best Buy took a look, went to the storage room, and brought me out a new one to replace the defective one.

Take it back.

8. Pivoh macrumors member

I have exactly the same problem I have two kind of big dots in the middle of the screen, will take my rMBP to the apple store asap.

9. Edswr thread starter macrumors newbie

A second one has now appeared, definitely new. I didn't get it through the Apple store so I can't just swap it, although I'm booking it into a slot in store. I hope they don't need to take it in for any length of time.

The person on the phone said they may have to wait for parts... as far as I can see it's not really possible to just swap the screen due to the manufacturing methods. In any case it's a disappointment, no ghosting as far as I can tell but certainly dead pixels.

It's a fantastic computer besides, I just can't grow that attached to it yet ;P