Dead iphone 5. Kaput.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It happened to me last week whilst enjoying my time out. :D

I had just updated the Goodplayer video app and was testing it out, streaming some video from my NAS on my home network. I played a couple of minutes of a couple of videos. The last one I attempted to play was a 1080p mkv, which started off ok, but eventually stuttered and froze, as do all 1080p mkvs on an iPhone in my experience.

I stopped the video, but didn't close the app. I just put the phone face down on the armrest of my couch, and surfed the web some on my MacBook. A few minutes later, I picked up the phone, hit the home button and the screen looked very odd.

It showed the Goodplayer main screen, but the screen was about 50% of its normal size, and a dark blue color. At first I thought it was some kind of screensaver built into the app. I tapped the screen and it started slowly fading to black, and the menu on the screen shrank even smaller. It reminding me of HAL 9000 getting its memory yanked. Then it just went black.

I charged it for an hour just in case and tried rebooting. Nothing. I connected it to my MacBook and fired up iTunes. Nothing. I entered recovery mode, but iTunes wouldn't complete a restore. I entered DFU mode. I edited my host file. I did everything I could find to revive the phone. Nothing worked.

I took it to Apple the next morning and they couldn't make it do anything either. They said they thought it might be a fried video chip. That made me wonder about that 1080p video; the last thing I did before the phone died. (I later wrote to Goodplayer and they said it was likely a coincidence, which I agree with in theory, but the timing is suspect.)

Apple gave me a brand new retail boxed phone on the spot. So far so good, although the previous one worked flawlessly for nearly 3 weeks straight.

It's a very odd feeling to have electronics die without a known cause of death and no autopsy report, especially since I've owned every iphone model since day one and none of them have ever failed completely.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It may not have been a coincidence that it happened during an intensive task. It could be that there was some manufacturing flaw in the CPU/GPU that was triggered by intensive use, or by the heat caused by that use.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

True enough on the trigger theory. Prety sure it wasn't heat related though. The phone was cool, and I'd only been playing short sections of a couple of videos...2 minutes total.

I guess from Goodplayer's perspective, they meant that it prob wasn't specifically their app that killed my phone.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

what apple store did u go to?

5. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

What difference does it make? If you're trying to find a store that will give you a new retail box phone as a replacement, it's not about the store, it's about the manager, and whether they have stock on a given day. Fact is, I was only given a retail box because they had no white box phones In stock. And if you're looking for a store that has stock for a regular purchase, it's not about the store I visited a week ago, it's about the day you want the phone and luck.

6. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

Yeah but what store did you go to?

;)

7. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

lol...I just asked a simple quesion my friend. You are right, I was just curious as to what store you went to. :cool: