Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
My ipod is dead. Wont turn on at all.

I have tried connecting to different computers and different firewire cables.

Any ideas on how to start this baby up?

Thanks in advance.

-Doc

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's article #61705:

Hold down Menu and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously until the logo appears.

Sometimes you need to be plugged into a power source (AC, wall power) when you do the reset, if it' also a battery issue.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I tried the play/pause combo.

no dice.

I did find this though... and i am trying it now.

1. Charge the iPod using the wall adaptor for 3-5 hours (this ensures a full charge - even though nothing is happening to indicate it).

2. Unplug the cable and let it sit - untried - for 24 hours.

3. After 24 hours, plug it into the wall adaptor or computer and do a reset (menu and play buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo).

Thanks. Guys.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i had an iPod die this way, unexplicably.

i ended up getting it replaced out of warranty, by the nice people at my Apple store.

after the fact, i found that there is one alternative that has worked for some people. you say there is NO way to jump start it externally, so the answer lies internally.

all you have to do is open it, disconnect the battery, and reconnect it. here are some of the best pictures and instructions i have seen if you're up to the task. (you don't need to take it all the way apart as the pictures show) if you search around on the internet for your problem, this is what everyone insists is the only thing that gets it back to life.

otherwise, apple's your only hope of resurrecting it barring any divine intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.