Dead Pixel - iPad 1st Gen Out of Warranty (18 months old)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by marktuk, Dec 27, 2011.

1. marktuk macrumors member

I've got a first generation iPad 3G which I've just spotted a dead pixel on. It's not a particularly easy one to see, it's just above the 'W' on the keyboard if you hold the iPad with the home button on the left.

Anyway the iPad is about 18 months old, so well out of warranty, what options do I have?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

None!

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

1. go to an apple store and nicely show them the dead pixel. If you are nice they might replace it for you, but remember, they are not obligated to. You may even be able to convince them to let you buy applecare if they replace it.

2. deal with it... you just said you can barely notice it

3. sell the iPad

4. Buy a new lcd screen and attempt to install it yourself.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Really? If you're "nice" an Apple store will replace an out-of-warranty iPad for a single dead pixel?

5. marktuk thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably live with it for now, it's just annoying now I've spotted it.

Do apple offer any kind of trade in if I were to purchase a new device, I'm guessing not? :(

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Trade-ins are all DIY. Sell yours; apply money from sale to new purchase.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I purchased an early 2011 macbook pro in February when they were released this year. Over that weekend my iPhone screen managed to crack pretty badly. On the next monday I brought my macbook back into the apple store because it was having problems with the airport. I happened to pull out my phone while I was there, the guy helping me noticed it and made a comment, realized I had spent almost $3k there 2 days before and gave me a brand new iPhone for free... so yes, it is possible. and i wasn't even trying to get them to replace it... they just did it.

I've seen many people get their products replaced by apple if they are polite about it. If you go in demanding a new one screaming at people they will likely telly you "tough luck"

8. marktuk thread starter macrumors member

That's a shame, I would have thought Apple would have wanted to take old devices to sell more new ones. Where do their refurb units come from then?

This dead pixel is an odd one, it doesn't appear to be a whole pixel, and it's more apparent at different angles, face on it just looks like a small green dot...

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

units that are returned, then repaired if need be, and re-sold.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple wants to sell new devices, not act as a clearinghouse for outdated technology. There's a secondary market out there and you are always better off selling it yourself. Think about it; if a used iPad 1 sells for $300 on the open market, Apple, or any other company, would not be willing to pay more than half that. It makes little sense for them or for you to have a "trade-in" program; you will always do better selling it yourself.

11. marktuk thread starter macrumors member

Problem is, the resale value of my iPad just took a massive hit...

Out of interest, what would a repair cost?

Also, is my iPad still eligible for the battery replacement service?

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Probably would cost you ~$200 for the new LCD screen and labor. Cheaper if you're comfortable doing it yourself, but I'm assuming you're not.

No, iPads are eligible for battery replacement during your first year of apple care, or if you buy the extended apple care warranty. Otherwise you will need to fork over $100 for a new battery.

13. marktuk thread starter macrumors member

Nooooooo, now there's a weird blemish appeared in the upper left corner, it's almost like a shadow stuck on the screen...

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

Don't mean to kick you when you're down, but that's why extended warranties are sold. It's a gamble, but if you don't buy and end up needing it then this is the downside.

15. marktuk thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll just have to live with it, if I'm near an Apple store at some point I'll pop in and show someone there. It's a bummer really because it makes it a headache to sell on when I decide to upgrade to an iPad 3. Thanks for the help though :D