Dead Pixel on 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nyisles84, Sep 20, 2013.

1. nyisles84 macrumors regular

Well, got my new iPhone 5S this morning. Get to work, go to set it up and bam. Either dead pixels or dust under the screen right on the middle of the screen.

I have never had this issue before and always saw complaints about it. Never understood the big deal. And it's especially glaring with the large amount of white in iOS7.

What is the best course of action. The stores obviously will not have any for a while. I can maybe learn to live with it. Or should I take it to an Apple Store, have them check it out and notate the account and then go back when they have stock?

Anyone else have this issue before on prior models?

2. meeks macrumors regular

take it to Apple, they set aside some for defective phones. This may qualify since it's so new.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it back and hope they do have some models available for a swap.

4. Traderalways macrumors member

I would return it... Where on the island did u get it?? LET'S GO RANGERS!!! Sorry I couldn't help myself... Lol

5. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Congrats! You have the first dead pixel thread of the 5S era! =)

6. terzinator macrumors 6502

it should be under warranty for a few more hours

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Use it for a couple of days, maybe it'll disappear. No joke, one of mine had a dust issue but it went away on its own.

8. MegaBit macrumors member

I had that happen once before on launch day and I went back to the store. Back then they had new bare iPhones in small white boxes to be used for that purpose. Definitely worth the trip or those pixels will drive you nuts.

9. nyisles84 thread starter macrumors regular

I got it at the Verizon store right near the Roosevelt Field Mall Apple Store. That may hinder me a bit on getting one swapped out right away at the Apple Store.

I work out by the Walt Whitman Mall store so maybe I'll head over there during my lunch and see if they can do anything.

I can't believe I have the honor of the first dead pixel thread. You always think it won't happen to you. Cherish your full pixeled screens and let them know it everynight.

And lets go Isles! lol

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

There was a hair under the screen of my launch day 5 last year. They were able to swap it out on the spot on day 1. They have white box phones in the store already. Though with the limited availability this year, could be different. I'd go to Apple though.

11. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

This!
    And you can be 100% sure those replacement phones aren't refurbished since it's Day 1.

12. Phanatic macrumors newbie

Yeah, just go back to the Apple store after the chaos ends. They usually set aside phones for reasons like this. Last year, I had an issue with network connectivity, went to the Apple store a day after launch day and they gave me a replacement iPhone 5. Took all of 10 minutes.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I would do.

14. nyisles84 thread starter macrumors regular

I just called my nearest Apple Store. The guy said we couldnt do a retial swap obviously, but told me to come on down so they can take a look and service it?

Im assuming/hoping service it meaning we have service replacements.

I will fill you all in

15. nyisles84 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to update:

I went down to the Apple Store during my lunch. The genius guy was super nice, saw the dead pixel right away and said this is unacceptable.

To be fair, its just a small speck on the screen, I thought I was being trivial but apparently not. He went into the back to see if they had another Silver 32gb but to no avail.

He then put in a repair order and I will be called whenever it comes in to the store. He said it could be a couple of days or a week. He wasn't sure.

Anyways, a great overall experience there. I still my fully functional new iPhone 5S (minus a few dead pixels) and have a replacement on the way.

Glad to see they were so accomodating. Their customer service is what keeps Apple on top.

16. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Surprised they don't have any service units in store yet.