DEAD PIXEL right in middle of screen!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I JUST noticed a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen.

So upset.

What are my options?

I really don't want to pay a re-stocking fee. I bought the phone from ATT.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

They should exchange it for you. There aren't restocking fees for an exchange for a defect.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple's quite good about helping. Go to the Apple store and show it to them.

Good Luck :)

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do I need to do before that?

Make an appointment, and back up my data

Anything else? Please help I'm so upset right now I think the pixel went dead like 5 minutes ago. Literally. Ugh!

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

www.apple.com/retail

Make an appointment at the genius bar. Backup your data to iCloud or iTunes. If you happen to forget they'll remind you to backup to iCloud before they wipe your current phone clean.

6. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you.

Also, how long is the dead pixel covered under warranty?

I'm really busy next week, unfortunately.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Your phone is under warranty one year after purchase, so you have while. You're also still under the 30 day return policy, so if they don't give you a swap model then they're obligated to give you a retail model if they have it in stock.

Don't let the phrase "swap model" scare you. It's just as good as a new one and mine looks better than my original.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

For 1 dead pixel you have through the end of the return period (30 days). After that it's up to Apple to decide whether it's a defect. I don't think the policy is officially stated but it depends on the resolution of the screen. For Macs it takes about 3 dead pixels before they will declare it out of spec.

9. The New iPad macrumors regular

Swap models at this point are all new models anyway as there aren't refurbished units by this time yet anyway.

10. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm leaving the country in a week for two months and am extremely next week.

Will they change it when I get back?

11. The New iPad macrumors regular

Remember, your warranty is 1 year from purchase date.

12. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope this will include 1 dead pixel as I am leaving the country for 2 months in a week.

13. The New iPad macrumors regular

Refer to this Apple pixel anomaly policy for future replacements in case this happens again

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20021996-233.html

14. STagoreK macrumors newbie

Dead pixel in screen

I also had a dead pixel in the middle to right side of screen, and for what its worth yes it bothered me though my friends who saw it thought I was nuts lol. Anyway, the point is that if you get the right genius support person they'll be helpful about the pixel, especially in your 14 day return policy. In my case we went through 2 more phones out of the box which had structural damage. He then offered to swap the screen off another onto the one I had brought in because otherwise the phone I had worked very well and the housing was great. He himself admitted to having to go through two panels in the back room while working on my phone because the first one was blotched up with a white blemish in the screen but at the end of the day he did a fantastic job from what I can see and I'm really happy with the phone I have in hand. Side note- He was polite but before doing the screen switch he did say to me "I'm sorry but we have limited supply, if we open a third and if its damaged or not to your liking that's as many as I can open." That is when he suggested the screen swap.

Thought I'd share the story so you know that while one genius might turn you away go to another store or make another appointment and try with someone else, they'll do what they can to make you happy. I'm sure there are some who would have just lived with the cosmetic problems on these units but I was surprised to see how many he had to go through just to find ones that looked like new or functioned properly. I've bought first gen Apple products on release before, there were some minor variations but not as much as I'm seeing now.

Either way, get the phone you want.

Good luck!

S