iPad Dead pixels on brand new iPad air. Did not buy from Apple Store, will they replace?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arksun, Nov 29, 2013.

1. arksun macrumors newbie

Like many people, I took advantage of the Target deal and bought an iPad Air from them. As soon as I got home and turned the iPad on, I immediately saw a few obvious dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Will Apple Store replace with a brand new unit or should I try to go find a Target that has the same model in stock and exchange?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple will replace if they have replacement units on hand. if they're out, you'll either have to wait or try your luck at target.

3. anp77 macrumors newbie

Target is really good about returns and exchanges so if you go in there with your receipt and possibly your gift card if you want to return it, you should be fine. The Apple store might be easier though so if you have an Apple store near you I would go there first.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would go where I bought it from first, and return it. Not sure why this is a problem? :confused:

5. arksun thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the Targets in the area are out of stock.

6. tandeh macrumors regular

Soryy to hijack thread: but How about if I buy from PC world in uk, I buy within the cash back period and then need to return due to screen issue , do I keep my eligibility for swap, or is it lost if replace the iPad?

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

Apple's going to replace it with a white box refurb, NOT a new sealed unit.

Deal with it for a couple days and bring it back to Target when they get stock in.

8. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

If you have an Apple Store nearby I'd try. I'm in Edinburgh and took the trip to the Apple Store in Glasgow after my retina mini I ordered from the online store had dead pixels in the bottom right hand corner. I rang the store before I went and they told me that they could only replace it with the 'refurbished' models behind the Genius Bar, but that they wouldn't actually bet furnished because the rMini is so new. I got there and was told that they didn't have any of the replacements so I'd have to put myself down on the waiting list. I reasoned with the guy I was speaking to and asked if there was anything they could do seeing as I'd just come from Edinburgh and hadn't been told on the phone that they had no service models in stock. They told me that they don't mix online stock with retail store stock, but that he would go check with the manager if it would be possible on this one occasion. They overrided the rule and I came out with a brand new sealed mini, the last in the store! So yeah, definitely worth a try :)

9. everydayCARD macrumors member

I am guessing that you ordered from the online Apple Store. In that case they probably will be able to swap it out with a brand new device, but the OP purchased the device from Target, which means that they probably will just swap it out with a white box, refurbished unit.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If the item is defective, then Apple will fix it. The question is whether dead pixels are a "defect" that needs to be fixed under warranty. You bought from Target, so why should a different store help you?

11. SNeil macrumors newbie

Some time ago I had purchased iPod Touch from ToysRUs. It had a dead pixel, I took it to Apple store and they replaced it.

12. Akack macrumors 6502a

Just wait until they get some in stock next week. You have until sometime in Jan to return or exchange at Target due to the extended holiday return period.

13. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Yes they will

I bought an open box iPad mini from the Microcenter still under warranty. It was all dinged up and when plugging in the lightining cable it was finicky about charging. I took it to the Apple store the same day i bought it and they swapped it out with a new (probably refurbished) one.

----------

There aren't any Refurb Air's yet, they have only been out for a month or so.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yeah, everyone always says that. In reality, Airs have been in production for many months before they were released, and many, many, many on the initial runs surely failed QAQC and were refurbished before the product was even released to the public.

Regardless, he isn't getting a sealed new in box replacement if he brings it to Apple, he's getting a white box genius bar swap.

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

If arksun took advantage of the Black Friday deal then he will have to return the gift card when he exchanges the device. It might just be easier to get it swapped at the Apple store.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They won't be refurbs, they'll be new units. For now, anyway. Refurbs won't have had time to go back through the process.

As for the QC return issue - if a device fails QC, they will replace the part at the factory, or strip it and put the good parts back into the production line. Those parts aren't used yet - they won't waste them by sending them out as refurbs ;).

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

Suit yourself, I wouldn't settle for a white box genius bar replacement if I was within my return window. You will never ever know for sure that you are getting a new unit from the genius bar, no way. Airs have probably been in production for 5 months at this point. There's no way for you to know for a fact that the guy isn't going to get a refurb, I would wager it's more likely he will.

This is a dumb thread/conversation anyway, the guy should just return it to Target. I'm sure they are restocked already and if not today, I'm sure they will be by tomorrow.

18. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i agree, but just like best buy, there's probably a limit. I don't think there should be issue if its the first time though. Explaining to the cs desk about dead pixels could be trying though, but the process itself shouldn't take too long.