Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I just bought a Tibook from the Apple Retail Store on the 19th and I have just noticed that I have a stuck/dead pixel. It is on the far left side of the screen and it is green in color. The good part is that it is virually invisable, unless that part of the screen is black. However, it is very annoying when say I'm watching a DVD or I'm watching a slide show of my picutes in iPhoto. This notebook is not even a week old. What should I do? Should I go back to the store and demand a replacement? Would they even give me one? I think that the minimum number of pixels that would fall under warrenty is like 6 or 7 right? But this thing is brand new....shouldn't there be a speacial case for defective products that are brand new? I mean what would stop me from just returning it at the Apple store, and then just reordering it from the online store?? With that logic, shouldn't they just give me a straight up trade if they sold me a defective product??

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The problem is, it's not "defective", LCD manufacturers are allowed a certain amount of imperfections due to the manufacturing process. It sucks big time I know, but I don't think there is much you can do about it :(

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
The replacement TiBook could well have 2 or 3 dead/stuck pixels so you could end up worse off.

Maybe try massaging it out with your finger and a soft cloth, you can do this with suck pixels (red, green, blue) but obviously not with dead ones... (grey/black)

Apple are no different from other companies in this respect though!!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
take a cloth a rub it softly. this can usually fix it. apple will not give you a new one, sorry.

iJon

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I have heard about the massaging thing. Does it really work? Could someone list some specific steps to this process? How hard exactly do I need to press and for how long? Also, since I already have one stuck pixel now, does that mean I am more prone to stuck pixels in the future?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yeah it works, its no myth. just get a cloth and just press it firmly and rub. i cant really tell you how hard, not really sure. i think youll now how hard is enough.

iJon

Graydon

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
central Florida
stuck pixel uses

Yeah, try the rub out method. It didn't work on my Tibook, 1 green at mid center of screen.

I have found a use for the pixel. It's a great place to park your cursor when not in use...also great to index item locations in a drawing...

Sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.