Dear Apple I just bought a Dell Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tominator, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tominator macrumors newbie

to use with my Black Macbook.

This is after I went to the Apple store to pick up a new 24" monitor from you and was told it was not compatible, nor would it be!

By the way I paid $260 dollars, instead of the $900 that I was ready to spend with you.

The Dell works beautifully with the Macbook.

I love you Apple but you may want to reconsider some of your future plans. Loyalty goes both ways.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, their monitor "range" suck.

Any other point to this?

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Have you been hiding under a rock?? It has been known that the new LED display doesn't work with older Macs since it was released.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Dear Tominator,

Enjoy your Dell monitor. We at Apple don't really mind.

5. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Because you, Apple, are stupid :p

Enjoy your monitor Tom, good choice.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I thought you were going to complain about the $900 price tag which I think prices most Macbook owners out of the market.

7. Croatian macrumors 6502

Dear Tominator,

We at apple know we have a better product. Maybe your next purchase will be a Dell Laptop cuz loyalty goes both ways :) LOL

As much as people say ACD is expensive, it is worth the money, it looks good, it is really good, designed to work well with the new laptops what more can you ask.

It is just like why would you spend $1300 for a macbook when same specs non apple laptop is less then $800 (slap on any OS you want on it)

Is like telling a guy why on earth did you buy an M5, all you do is go home and go to work, Ford Focus would have done the trick :)

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

There is not a $300 monitor on the planet that
    can match the ACD LED display.

If you cannot see the difference you are blind and any halfway decent monitor should do.

The 24" ACD is absolutely gorgeous if you don't mind a glossy display.

9. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Actually you can find great deals on dell, samsung and other monitors that have the same exact specs and sizes as apple cinema displays at fractions of the price using sites like slick deals. If you pay attention and check daily, I have no doubt you can find a deal for a 300 dollar 24" monitor with equal specs.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dear Tominator, it is not like this isn't a widely published situation that Apple could care less about.

Enjoy your dell, if you managed to get the higher end panel it is indeed a fantastic display, but my guess is with that price you got the low end display that cannot be compared to Apple's ACDs.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Only if you don't place any value in LED. Sure you can find an IPS monitor for a good price but if it's $300-400 it's not going to be an LED (for the uninitiated LED uses Light Emitting Diodes for the backlighting delivering instant on performance and longer life)

By all means ...Google away and find me a $300 LED 24"

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Except the OP's complaint was that it was not compatible with his Black MacBook, not its price, its value or its looks.

That complaint is a valid one.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sometimes I just don't get Apple

Regarding the new LCDs ...

I'm sure they are fantastic. Apple rarely makes junk, IMHO.

But the connectivity options on the new LCD just baffle me. Would it be that hard to put in a DVI port for legacy users? If you have an older Mac that only has DVI, there's no current option for an Apple branded monitor anymore ... short of buying a new Mac.

Maybe there aren't enough buyers for an Apple monitor with DVI to matter ...

ft

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

More like social engineering. Just like when Apple delivered the initial iMac and made it USB only and sans floppy drive they made a statement.

SCSI and ADB were dead technologies for consumer Macs
    Floppy drived is a dead storage medium for Macs.

This spurred developers into utilizing superior technology (USB, CDR)

Apple's doing the same thing here.

VGA/DVI are approaching death very quickly. DisplayPort is the future and to that effect Apple is throwing it's might and considerable influence here. The fact that someone buys a $300 Dell monitor is of little consequence to Apple who's looking out years into the future and wants to see DisplayPort assume the mantle as defacto display connectivity solution.

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Apple monitor offerings are overdue for a major revamp. Be patient.

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The monitor we're talking about here is a revamp in and of itself. It's a new design and it's barely 6 months old.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes it is valid in the eyes of compatibility, but you cannot compare them as equals.

18. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I would say just be patient...I'm sure a company will release some sort of switch or adapter that allows HDMI to go to Mini Display Port. It is just a matter of time.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree. My own Samsung monitor was $300 + SH/Tax but the ACD has a better panel and LED backlighting. My monitor gives a low hum and I know the backlit will dim after a few years or so. You get what you pay for, but the cheaper Dell monitors really suck compared to Samsung or LG monitors...

20. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

:eek:

You're kidding right? Please show us an example of a monitor with these so called "same exact specs" at a "fraction of the price".

21. bstreiff macrumors regular

I've got a Dell E228WFP (22", 1680x1050) that I got a long while back that I use on my Mac mini. Works great, and was much cheaper than an ACD.

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I beg to differ. I have a 20" Dell 2008wfp and a 22" samsung 226bw. Both are similarly priced but the quality on my Dell is evidentially superior to the Samsung.

Either or, ALL Dell/samsung/LG/whatever brand priced at $300 are going to be inferior to the ACD. And that's just the fact.

23. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

And I don't think the OP is either, he's just saying that he can use it with a Black Macbook. Quality doesn't matter much if you can't even plug in the monitor to see what you're missing.

24. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

The OP has not actually posted a response to anything, so he/she probably doesnt actually care and had a half hour frustrated to hell thing and decided to let of some steam.

25. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, there is nothing worse than college knowledge. Well, other than parroting the sales brochures, of course ...

I am amazed noone else have corrected the ignorance portrayed in that post.

IPS-screens can be LED backlit as well. In fact, whether its, say, IPS or a TN panel has little to do with wether it is LED backlit.
    An IPS screen is considered superior to the rest of the pack, and can sure as hell be LED too.
    Btw, it seems that some of the panels in the 24" ACD are IPS, where other seems to be non-IPS.

Now, Mr. "Light Emitting Diodes" go read up on IPS-panels instead of bragging about you knowing what LED stands for. For the initiated that simply looks daft.

It doesn't matter. We're making a thread amongst ourselves :D

EDIT:
    Nuckingfutz:

Here's a 24" LED backlit monitor going for [continued after the link]

http://www.dealcatcher.com/forums/m_618296/tm.htm

US$279.20 after mail in rebate. US$349 retail.
    Now, is that enough to vaporise your argument entirely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.