Dear Apple, I want a Milanese band with classic or link buckle

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I like the Milanese look but I'm not really sold on the loop and magnet yet. What's apple's obsession with magnet clasps for the watch band series? I want one with either a classic or butterfly link buckle... K thx bai.

2. johnnyapples33d macrumors member

Have you tried the Apple Watch on with the Milanese band?

3. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

You mean you want a mesh bracelet with a deployment buckle :) its weird they didn't offer one.

4. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

I can tell you from my hands-on experience the Milanese Loop is amazing. Would have been my first choice if a Space Black version had been available.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I really hated the photos of the Milanese loop, so i ordered the SS classis leather. But apparently the loop is really nice and the magnet is strong so no chance of it slipping off or coming loose.

I have an appointment to try on later and will be checking out all the bands.

6. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Having a buckle with loop bracelet defeats the purpose.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

OP, I understand what you mean. A Milanese loop band normally comes with the clasps you mentioned.

The way the Apple loop folds back on itself gives an asymmetrical look that also sticks out a bit. And a locking clasp would give extra reassurance.

milanese-clasp2.png

For other people, these things are not important. Or they might appreciate the easy adjustment of the magnetic clasp more.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I tried both the Milanese and Leather loop bands yesterday and the magnets on them are extremely strong. I agree having a normal buckle would defeat the purpose.

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I tried in the Milanese yesterday and really liked the magnetic clasp. The magnet is very strong and allows for infinite adjustments so the watch fit great. I ordered one to go with my 42 SS with black sport band. Liked it much better than the leather loop. the magnet is also strong on the leather loop BTW.

10. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Absolutely nailed it. Yes.

11. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

The Milanese loop will not fall off, I tried it in store yesterday. The magnet is very strong, and even if it did come loose, the part that folds over is designed so that it can't come out of the other side (so that its permenantly in a loop). It felt very nice and secure, for those wondering.

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Ok that solves the getting loose concern. However I still want a classic buckle or clasp. Call me old school I guess.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That only prevents the loop from falling off the watch.

It does not prevent the loop from loosening (say, from a brush against something, or by a pickpocket) and the entire watch falling off your wrist unnoticed.

(In the past I've lost watches when the band broke or loosened while out motorcycling or rock climbing.)

A clasp won't help if the band breaks (although that's really unlikely with metal), but it locks the watch on in other cases. It also looks more polished to not fold over. So I can see what the OP is saying.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Maybe a third party will create one that will work for your needs. That's the beauty of the Apple Watch design.

15. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Yup I'm really looking forward to a decent company to come out with better bands. I wonder if apple patented the band design, they probably did.

16. Camusrieux macrumors regular

Oh, undoubtedly. The question is whether they'll license it (via an MFi-style program or whatever) to third parties. I certainly hope so; Apple's band pricing has left a wide market for third parties to work in, and I have to think that the availability of huge numbers of bands of widely varying styles would also increase demand for the Watch platform overall.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Exactly. That would be like Apple patenting the iPad covering...etc... Apple always has its own pricing strategies. I'm looking forward to when Apple has better bands....maybe those bands will have additional tech in them themselves like battery tech etc...

18. Angelgrant macrumors newbie

I tried on the Milanese loop

I tried on the Milanese loop. (I also pre-ordered one.). This band will never break. And unless you have tiny hands, this watch cannot fall off your hand. Allow me to explain... I am a woman with large but bony hands and wrists. 164 mm. wrist. I have to fold my hand together to slip the Milanese loop band on. (Touch tip of thumb to tip of pinkie.). The Milanese loop can never lie flat - as the tip of the strap can never come out of the connector. Thus this band is always in a loop. It is not just the tip that is magnetic. The entire band seems to be. This is why there is no gap and the backwards loop once affixed lays so flat. It is not a weak magnet. In fact the first time it went on my wrist, the Apple clerk did it, it was as tight as a blood pressure cuff. I immediately started adjusting it to make sure that was not how it would always be. No problem there, I was able to adjust to comfort. I even tried it really loose - as I favor bracelet watches.
    Just for kicks I tried the SS Classic leather (understated elegance) and the SG Sport (because I bought my son that one). it looked ridiculous on me- it is a man's man watch for sure.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

To me, a mesh band with a locking clasp would be easier to put on and take off. I had such a watch in the past. As currently designed, you need to slide your hand through the loop in order to put the watch on or take it off. You usually don't need to take off watches at airports anymore, but if you set off the alarm it is somewhat more inconvenient than I expected to slip it off and back on.

20. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

That is true. The magnet was really strong though, so I don't think it will come undone. I do get what the OP means though, I prefer how it is now, but I could see how people would prefer a clasp.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Interesting. Thanks!

As luck would have it, I had just bought a cheap black Milanese bracelet from Hong Kong for $7 (including shipping!). It came in yesterday and I put it on my LGWR.

milanese-silver.jpg

Unlike the foldover Apple version above, it doesn't stick out on one side, which I like:

milanese-black.jpg

milanese-bottom.jpg

22. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

You are absolutely correct that if in the event that the magnet does come undone, it could fall off your wrist. If felt like there was a very slim chance of that happening however. I was really impressed with the magnet.