Dear White People

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Feb 12, 2017.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Netflix have commissioned an original television series based on the film of the same name. One of its writers is noted racist Jack Moore who, on election night, during the defeat of race-baiting war hawk Hillary Clinton, said "**** white people".

There are reports that thousands of Netflix customers, including me, have cancelled their subscriptions over this racist pile of trash.

Can you imagine if Netflix had commissioned a "Dear Black People" television series?

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

These idiots are not realizing that they are only adding fuel to the fire and it will probably mean more votes for Trump or the right in general in the next election.

I don't care though. I am not cancelling my subscription. Let them have their fun and I'll have my say at the polls.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Really you will cancel netflix over one program? Talk about snowflakes.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Seriously. Conservatives boycott something = righteous and noble; liberals boycott something = whiny and bitchy.

For the record, I think this show sounds dumb and I probably won't watch it. But I'm not canceling my Netflix. How else will I watch Weeds?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Seriously if I went by their logic I would cancel cable because of fox news.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Don't like it, don't watch it. Don't condemn it sight unseen. It might have something funny in it. Like that time when the grandma of one of my boyfriends decreed from on high that "no woman of no color at all!" was gonna sit at her dining table with her grandson. Then her own husband apparently reminded her she was only 37.5% African so someone of "no color at all!" must have sat somewhere with somebody sometime up the line. Somehow I ended up at their table for more than a few meals, although she never failed to remind me that I was "welcome here but don't get any long term ideas about him".

Dear Netflix: My boyfriend could have written about 9.375% of your script by now LOL.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't even know it was a thing until this thread.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I will have to wait and see, at first I was a little outraged but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it mocks SJW's if not, I might have to cancel.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It s very unsurprising that no one here, less melanated has actually seen the 2014 movie that this is based on...

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

There would be riots and buildings burned down. I hope the title is sarcastic and makes fun of these racist black people that think like this.

12. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

If I did that I would had to cancel my cable as well for it has CNN on it and I probably would have to stop reading this forum. ;)

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That isn't likely to be the plot. It is more like hey white person, no it isn't okay to touch my hair (per the trailer).

14. MarkusL macrumors 6502

To all Republicans who are not yet Netflix subscribers:

Don't forget to subscribe and pay for a month before cancelling, in order to enrich the company you are boycotting like in that surreal Starbucks protest campaign.

15. chown33 macrumors 604

Or I'd cancel my internet service because of http://any.website.you.hate/

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I like snark, sarcasm, and satire. Count me in.

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I've never seen or heard a white person do or ask this about hair. If the show goes into bogus cultural appropriation and bogus white privilege, I will definitely cancel my subscription.

18. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You need to take a chill pill. ;)

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

"Money talks, all others walk..." The way Netflix looks at it is probably not far off the way commercial TV looks at stuff: eyeballs talk, lack of them means the show gets cancelled.

It's late in the day to expect Netflix or any other media content generator to get all crazed over how one set of people react to one movie, one series. It's dramatic to talk about cancelling subs and boycotting clothing vendors (or... snack makers)... but it's a big world out there with a lotta dollars in a lotta different sorts of pockets.

I still don't get action adventure movies but that's okay, there are other people who like them. I like Indian movies, even though I have relatives who say stuff like "they should have subtitles, you can't even understand them." Maybe "Dear White People" isn't for you, that's all. Or... maybe it is, even if you never watch it!

20. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Why? I said I would give the show the benefit of the doubt, I will wait and see it until I pass judgment. If it turns out to be a racist show pushing bogus far left BS, I will cancel my subscription.

I hardly use Netflix so I will not be a real loss, I can torrent what I need to watch. They only reason I still have Netflix is because I want to support them.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I've never seen or heard someone call a black person a ****** either, doesn't mean it doesn't happen...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    seriously watch the movie this is based on. Torrent it since you have no issues doing that. The TV Show will be more of the same.

22. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If I can make a show called "Dear black people" and **** on the black race, without being called a racist, I would 100% agree with you.

Just Like MTV from the video below, I will not support a business that is racist.

23. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Maybe you should watch the movie first.

24. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If it is anything like the MTV video I linked, I'm out.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Maybe you should read what I wrote??? I said I would give it a chance a watch the show before I pass judgment?

25. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I think we are telling you to watch the movie so you don't have to wait to cancel Netflix. Generally speaking the whole movie is racial satire, and probably won't resonate well with most white people. As to why Netflix is doing it? Can't say for sure, maybe they are trying to appeal to black people more. Or maybe they are saying sorry for that Gilmore Girls reunion...