Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
'Death of a Salesman' Playwright Arthur Miller Dies

The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Wrote 'Salesman' in Just Six Weeks

ROXBURY, Conn. (Feb. 11) - Arthur Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright whose most famous fictional creation, Willy Loman in ''Death of a Salesman,'' came to symbolize the American Dream gone awry, has died. He was 89.

Miller, who had been hailed as America's greatest living playwright, died Thursday night at his home in Roxbury of heart failure, his assistant, Julia Bolus, said Friday. His family was at his bedside, she said.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
He first got acclaim with "All My Sons" back in '47, but his first released play was an anti-Semitism piece called "Focus" in 1945. He was timeless and will be missed.
X

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
The Crucible is quite possibly the greatest play ever written. Arthur Miller was a true American craftsman, and he lives on in his work.

A moment of silence is definitely in order here.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Arthur Miller truly was a great playwright. It's a shame that there hasn't been anyone good like him in a really long time. Have we had a playwright who has written plays at that level since him?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
he was a great writer, personally not my style, but i have a lot of respect for him nonetheless, RIP

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Probably my favorite of his plays is the lesser-known less frequently performed "The Price." The first five minutes of the play has no dialog at all, a brave and brilliant device. Maybe now somebody will rerun the TV version with George C. Scott. Not much notable work from Miller in recent years, but still one of the best American playwrights.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
xsedrinam said:
He first got acclaim with "All My Sons" back in '47, but his first released play was an anti-Semitism piece called "Focus" in 1945. He was timeless and will be missed.
X

Actually, "Focus" was a novel, and his first produced play was "The Man Who Had All the Luck." It flopped.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Actually, "Focus" was a novel, and his first produced play was "The Man Who Had All the Luck." It flopped.

You're right. I stand corrected. "The Man Who Had All the Luck" even came out earlier '44). Thanks,
X

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
virividox said:
read a couple of his plays, not one of my personal favorites, but still an excellent and talented author.

Reading plays never did anything for me. You need to see them performed, preferably by a well-directed, competent cast. At least two of his plays were filmed for TV, "The Price" (with George C. Scott) and "Death of a Salesman" (with Dustin Hoffman). Both are memorable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.