Death of Mario Cuomo Aged 82

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Scepticalscribe, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Death of Mario Cuomo Aged 82:

Just noticed on the news services that the death of Mario Cuomo, the former (Democrat) Governor of New York has been announced. At one time, he would have been considered as a serious contender for nomination as a candidate for President for the Democrat Party.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Local news (near Albany) spent 15 minutes reminiscing on him.

Some people have absolutely ZERO heart. When a news station posted on FB about it, some people celebrating that he was gone.

Sure, there's freedom of speech, but a family lost their father and grandfather. You'd be positively devastated if the same happened in your family, how would feel if you found out people were HAPPY he had passed away?

3. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have to assume that some of those you have described as expressing joy at this news came from the Republican end of the political spectrum.

As a European, one of the things that has taken me by surprise in recent decades in the US is the venomous tone much political debate is conducted in, and here, I regret to have to say, that I believe that the Republicans are more culpable than the Democrats.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, it is only the Republicans.:rolleyes:

Take a look at this thread, specifically post #17.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm a conservative. That said, I'm sad for Cuomo's family. He was a horrible governor... And yes, I'm a New Yorker who pays through the nose in taxes.....

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I understand that Long Island has the highest utility rates in the nation, thanks to Gov. Cuomo.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Did New York's tax take of your income go up, or down, (percentage-wise), during the Cuomo administration? Were taxes used more, or less, wisely during his administration? Which of his policies did you agree/disagree with?

Cuomo's legacy, from outside New York, seems to have been largely one of tone-- Cuomo stood up for working poor and lower middle class, as they were under attack in the Reagan years (and since). And, again in tone, of not celebrating unbridled greed among the super-rich.

I'm unsure how effective his policies actually were. He certainly was swimming against the tide.

8. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Very true. As far as I am concerned, he was a great man and politician alike. He stood up against Reagan, which at the time was unthinkable. I have much respect gor him and am sad to see him pass. I wish more were like him.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You'll find that New Yorkers have great nostalgia for long serving public figures, irrespective of actual effectiveness.

Hell, I'm guilty of it too. Cuomo the name connotes with my playing NES, with Voltron, GI: Joe, Transformers and Indiana Jones. I was just a kid, didn't know the politics, but knew he was a leader and around a LOOOONGG time.

Add to that Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Ed Koch, and John Cardinal O'Connor.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I also understand that he was one of the greatest prison building governors in United States history. He build more prisons in anybody before him, or since. I'm not sure if he has any other accomplishments, except for building all of these new prisons. He was such a manic prison builder, yet he is still hailed as a liberal icon. Something isn't squaring here.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

She still clearly assigns some blame on Democrats.

They both get ugly fast.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well, let's add a little context and see if it makes more sense ...

Nope. No sense found.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No, it makes perfect sense. Under Mario Cuomo’s leadership crime skyrocketed—especially violent crime—and he needed all those prisons.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I confess, when Baroness Maggie checked out a couple of years ago, I felt a tremendous sense of relief. She was a bad, bad person. Not that her departure did any good, she did her damage long ago, but I felt better knowing the world had one less bad person in it.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Is that so? I distinctly remember working at a government agency on the day Reagan was shot. There were plenty of uncivil civil servants that day saying he deserved it.

There are idiots in every political party.

16. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This - to a certain extent - bears out what I was alluding to when I mentioned the depressing and rather unfortunate tone in which much political debate seems to be conducted in the US these days, and for the past few decades. A debate which - instead of debating ideas - and ideals - about policies and the circumstances and conditions under which changes need to be articulated and managed - has become one where increasingly venomous insults are traded instead.

I thought that they were both perfectly dreadful political leaders who did quite some considerable political (social, cultural, economic) damage to their respective societies, but in no way did I rejoice when they died, or when assassination attempts were made on the pair of them.

Rather, I mourned - deeply - and miserably, and profoundly, when they were elected to positions of powerful political leadership in their respective countries.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

But even in your enlightened state, you still insulted Republicans by asserting (on nothing more than your say-so) that they're more to blame for such bestial behavior as celebrating the death of a political opponent.

Can't you admit that such an opinion does no good?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It was based on her personal observation, which is what opinions are often based upon.

IIRC, your opinions often Include partisan attacks on liberals.

Are you willing to admit that those opinions likewise do no good?

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Do you agree with her opinion? Do you think it is helpful?

Yes, which is why I like to support my opinions with facts. It makes it so much more fun when liberals splutter in impotent fury.

But asserting that Conservatives are more likely to celebrate the death of an opponent, without a shred evidence, is just being mean-spirited.

Can you cite some examples? Because I can't recall a single instance that fits your question.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If the point is celebrating the deaths of one's "enemies," then I don't agree. I believe that it's a natural inclination regardless of political affiliation.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. What help are you expecting to come from a political debate?

There might be a shred of credibility in that statement if it hadn't followed ...

21. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Hey guys, somebody just died. Let's drop the bi-partisanship and celebrate the life of a very accomplished man.

You may disagree with many of the things you did but he is no monster.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What man is?

I mean ... beside Dick Cheney.

23. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Adolf Hitler
    Pol Pot
    Lady Gaga (Self-proclaimed)