Death of the NYT?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 13, 2008.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/20...is-the-financial-demise-of-the-times-at-hand/

Considering the general decline of print-based media coupled with the health of the market right now, I suppose this should've been expected...

What do you think about this?

Will it happen? If it doesn't, how might the NYT change?

While I am sure there are some who are no fans of the NYT, as someone who likes to read their news in part with a coffee the traditional way, this seems sad. Besides, could the Wash Post, or even the WSJ be far behind?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Despite the current economic conditions and tight credit market, the Times will weather the storm. If Circuit City was able to secure $1 billion after declaring bankruptcy, the Times will find the financing they need.

Why is this in the PRSI? I think Community would be better.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Paying for content? Such an old-fashioned attitude. Bit like taxing people less, causing revenues to rise. ;)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Over the years I've drifted from printed material to the Internet or documents that I can read on my computer.

We have seen ow iTunes has changed the way many get their music. Instead of having to purchase a CD, it's easy to only purchase the song that you want. Saves money, storage space, etc.

Maybe the media will go to something similar someday. Where the customer can purchased a magazine and receive a pdf version, or maybe only subscribe to the areas that you want to read, or pay per article.

I'm going through the quandary of renewing MacLife and MacWorld right now. While I enjoy reading them, the pleasure lasts less than 30 minutes and then I have a magazine to throw away. Seems wasteful. I would love a pdf version of both. Also, having them on your computer makes it easy to catch up when you have a few minutes to spare.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I love the NYT online, although I never read it in print form. The NYT is such a valuable national asset... if there were one thing that would be worth bailing out, losing it would certainly be a massive decline in the quality of journalism available to the world.

Somehow, I think they'll adapt and survive. They've been tweaking with their print/online some. They seemed very watchful when the CSM announced they would stop printing. Who knows if they will too? Who knows how much longer the major newspapers really need to be in print? OTOH, in NY and surround states themselves, many people would be without a major news source if it were only electronic.

It's an interesting question.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It is such an awkward size and is completely uncomfortable to read. They should follow the lead of some of the UK broadsheets and move into a more compact ("tabloid") format.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I no longer read the Times, I don't have the time and read a lot online. I still like some things in print though. I do get Newsday but find that I read it only as long as my morning constitutional takes.

Nonsense. It's an art to properly fold a broadsheet for easy reading.

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I occasionally buy a paper (NYT, LA Times) on my Kindle. Saves paper, nothing to throw away, better for the environment.

I'm afraid e-readers are a niche market for newspapers and I tend to believe that most if not all newspapers will eventually fail as small handheld internet devises gain in popularity. Why pay for what you can get for free?

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not just the NYT that is suffering, virtually every major US newspaper is buried in debt. The LA Times will probably be one of the first to fold. It's only recently that they've started to expand their website and it's woefully behind the times.

Even my local smalltown paper has cut back the number of print pages and has recently stopped carrying national and international news on its website.

I rarely buy a print newspaper anymore, mostly only when I'm away from the internet. Sometimes on Sunday it's nice to buy the NYT but there's simply too much paper and I always feel a little guilty. The Berliner format of the Guardian is much easier to manage but it's still a lot of paper.

The internet is the future but how major papers like the NYT will embrace it is still unknown. There are too many people in the US without internet access. I think a lot of Americans would be left behind.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not as much a matter of embracing it as much as it is creating a viable business model. Ad space, not subscription revenue, is what keeps papers (and magazines, and TV shows, etc.,) in business and ad space on the internet is much less than ad space in traditional media AFAIK. The crux of the problem for 'old media' is that they are being asked to do more work to generate less revenue. Bit of a rock and a hard place.

Lethal

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was about to say the same thing. Newspapers make their money from ad revenue, not papers sold. And let's face it, advertising on the net is far from effective- it's more of a turnoff than anything else.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

That's why I think a pdf download would be cool.

Just like the printed copy, ads and all.

13. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I read recently the valuation of newspaper companies was something like 1/8 of what it was just five years ago. The world's changing. Somebody has to be paid to produce quality content and fact check, but certainly in the face of Craig's List newspapers have a lot of trouble supporting their financial model.

14. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The long-term solution is going to have to involve some way of getting compensation for content provided online. Advertising? Not in our lifetime.

Maybe your monthly Internet access fee could include a surcharge that gets distributed to the media companies, sort of how cable TV charges work.

There would probably be a million ways around it so only chumps would be paying it. Net neutrality might factor in, too.

The alternative is no news.

Which is good news, right?

Wrong.

mt

15. iGary Guest

iGary

The publishing industry is freaking out right now and clamoring around to try and figure out how to get content online without dissolving their print-based brands.

That said, I don't think NYT will have any problems long term.

16. timmyb macrumors 6502

The Berliner format is the way forwards - the Guardian have gone that way and it's fantastic. You still have a 'proper' paper but not quite so bulky. I feel that the Times' (UK) shift from broadsheet to tabloid has been accompanied by a shift towards tabloid quality journalism.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I believe that the New York Times will survive, but they will have to reduce the physical size of the newspaper to drastically reduce printing costs. The suggestion of going to the Berliner format is probably a good one, especially since in the New York City area many newspaper readers read them riding commuter trains and the subway, and it's a lot easier to read a newspaper in a smaller format in crowded public transit.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

As I tried to mention in the Circuit City thread (my post either didn't go through or got deleted) there is all this fear about the 'credit crunch', while circuit city is getting $1bn loans and Chase is padding my Visa's credit limit by 50% (!) without me ever asking.

As for the NYT, I read the print copy just about every day at my college as copies are distributed free on campus (though not on Sunday so I have to read online). I'm in France right now so I have to read the online version, but what still strikes me as so important about the NYT is how deeply researched, well written and pertinent the great majority of the articles are. Internet kiddies will go on about how blogs and free online new media will prevail over the dinosaur printed papers...but what these people don't seem to take note of is the immense difference in quality you get when you have people whose only job is to go out, get the story, get interviews and write it all down. Here's to hoping that the New York Times doesn't disappear, it's too valuable to lose.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, sign of the Times, right?

The CSM is ceasing weekday publication soon. I'm guessing many papers will follow this lead, as people are unlikely to want to give up the pleasure of the Sunday paper. However, the weekday papers often get left unread in busy houses, and people would be better served with online content.

The AP is suffering too. Papers are dropping their subscription to AP content like hot potatoes. Pretty soon the AP will go the way of the dinosaur too...

20. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The AP issue is complicated. Technically, it's not a company but an association of newspaper members. It has its own staff, but the contracts it has with papers give it the right to each member's content. Although the AP has thousands of reporters generating original stories, more than half of what moves on the AP wire was first reported in the member papers.

AP member papers have always had a strange relationship. One paper gets a big scoop and its competitor has the same story (maybe in the next news cycle) through the AP wire. It's a situation sure to foster resentment in a highly competitive environment.

Now add in the Internet ... AP has big, lucrative contracts with news aggregators, and because of their free content, pose an even greater threat to newspapers. So if a paper generates a story, not only is it going up on the paper's web site (where the paper has a chance of selling advertising to support it), it also goes up on news.google, Yahoo News and elsewhere. The only one who gets a nickel is the AP.

Considering how expensive the AP is -- easily six figures a year for even a smallish newspaper -- the publishers have frosty butts, and are pondering alternatives. Once upon a time, the AP's value was that it had a worldwide telex network. Now the Internet means everybody has essentially the same network.

Dropping AP means a paper is giving up national and world news, an extensive photo archive, access to all sorts of data that can be a real boost to newspapering. It's definitely the nuclear option. But then ... why have atom bombs if you're not going to drop them, eh?

mt

21. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac