Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tw002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Is it just me or does the transparent menu bar seem to be gone in apple's snow leopard screenshots?

intro_finder20090608.png

Another minor inconsistency in the UI of 10.6, this and the larger difference in quicktime X's interface.... maybe there's a bigger change coming?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Is it just me or does the transparent menu bar seem to be gone in apple's snow leopard screenshots?

intro_finder20090608.png

Another minor inconsistency in the UI of 10.6, this and the larger difference in quicktime X's interface.... maybe there's a bigger change coming?

You're basing this on the screenshots? You do realize transparent menu bar is an optional setting?

Don't worry, it's not dead. it's available in SL.

As for QTX player, Apple is just revamping it to be a video player only. There's no interface to speak of. It just a video with no border or title bar at all since it is not required and the dark UI is because the movies are usually watched in dark environment.

Applications do require borders and titlebars, etc. Thus it is not another UI inconsistency, just a different environment.

tw002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
I am aware it is optional in 10.5, it just seems odd that something that was initially quite controversial is disabled in these official shots. I for one would prefer this 'toned-down' look in snow leopard, something that would probably fit with the idea of making the OS more streamlined.

However I agree about the changes in quicktime, it is a separate case - I love the new UI

.product

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
I don't really notice any UI changes in 10.6. The translucent menu bar option is still there in System Prefs --> Desktop & Screen Saver, and as I recall, it's disabled by default (like in 10.5).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.