Death Penalty by Drowning.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This report shows a father getting 100 years without probation for drowning his 3 year old daughter in a public pool. Even though she couldn't swim, he kept throwing her out into the pool and he eventually held her underwater by her hair till she died (he didn't realize a camera was monitoring the pool).

Is this one case that opponents of the death penalty where they think it might be justified ?

Does anyone think the death penalty by drowning is out of line in this case ?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I support the death penalty, and this father certainly deserves it. That said, I wouldn't be for drowning him.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A government which has the power to kill its own citizens has too much power.

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

Yes I 100% believe death by drowning is not and never would be appropriate.

The idea of justice is not vengeance. Locking him away for the rest of his life is a fitting and just punishment.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Eh, prison is already a practical death sentence for this guy. Even the most hardened criminals tend not to like those who do things to children.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

as a father I disagree. I don't support the death penalty, but I do support vigilante justice, as long as said vigilante got his fair trial.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

guys a POS and deserves to be in jail forever, but no death penalty

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not against the death penalty, but in this case I would send the SOB to Siberia and make him work everyday 5am to 9pm using Soviet methods, and everyday I would force him to see the video of what he did.
    His diet: 1cup of rice, 1 slice of bread, 2 unsalted hardboiled eggs for protiens, and water. Since we're good, we'll give him a stale cookie on Christmas, if he behaves during the year.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well there will be vigilante justice against him, and it may well in death.

10. Limey77 macrumors regular

Also speaking as a father, this is another example of why people should not be allowed guns - if this is actually what you believe.

You either live by the rule of law or your no better than the scumbag in the video.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

don't worry guys, the remake of the remake of the seven samurai comes out in theaters today. i feel like gunning down some outlaws this weekend. i got it covered

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I didn't know samurai carried guns.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

remake of akira kurosawa's "the seven samurai" was john sturges "the magnificent seven" which was remade AGAIN. that remake came out today and it is what i was referring to.

do i have to explain all my posts to you

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'll be no better and ask for a fair trial :D by all means overlook a gun was not used, you don't need guns to kill at all.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Firearms were introduced to Japan by the Portuguese in the mid-16th century. They were popular among Samurai in the Sengoku period, though that popularity declined in the Edo period. Use peaked again in the first few decades of the Meiji period, before the Samurai were finally made a thing of the past.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He's on video doing this. Product is defective, return to manufacturer.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah. If you kill someone with a car, we run you over for the death penalty. Put one between someone's eyes? That's how we the people will kill you.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I agree with you there.

Justice is not about vengeance. Even military action, like all the recent wars with so many collateral deaths, is not about vengeance and may even be about oil, but the goal is still not vengeance. It may be money, and probably always is and evil in its own right, but a government killing for vengeance has a special level of heinousness that trumps all.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I doubt his mother would want that.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I disagree. A jury of your peers is giving you the death penalty.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    Now cases where the government can use drones to attack US citizens doesn't sit right with me.
    That being said I am for the death penalty, especially in this case.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TOO MANY innocent have been put to death already, we have released people from death row because many things did not add up.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

sure its the jury of your peers, but they're working within the constraints of the law. the law shouldn't allow for the death penalty imo

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Since he's caught on his camera, what sort of peers of his be - a bunch of child killers?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ok. I disagree
    I think you know what peers are. Adults from the community

25. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

The problem as I see it is they are putting him in jail for 100 years with no chance of getting out. If they are going to do that type of sentence, they might as well give the death penalty.