Death Penalty Challenged...in Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A Texas judge has allowed a defense team in a capital murder case to argue that the death penalty is unconstitutional.

Personally, I firmly believe that the death penalty will eventually be outlawed in the US (at least in peacetime). The fact that a judge in Texas, the most bloodthirsty state in the Union when it comes to executions, would allow such an argument to be made is noteworthy - even if it's highly unlikely to result in any serious challenge to capital punishment in the short term.

The argument itself appears to be focused on the sloppy nature of the system - people can be wrongfully executed. Whether a convicted killer must be killed or not is far less important in my mind than whether our judicial system is reliable and fair.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hopefully we get rid of the death penalty soon, it doesn't deter violent crime, and causes too many innocent people to die. If someone is put in prison for life and found to be innocent later, then they've just had a few years of their life wasted which is not nearly as bad as being killed.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sure if they are innocent we need to be sure, but in open and shut cases like the creeps in Connecticut they deserve to die and one of them so far is going too.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The death penalty hasn't done squat to deter murders, so what's the point? It's going to cost more money to execute him than to lock him up for life.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The stupid war on drugs hasn't done anything to deter murders either and we still fight that. If you murder someone by raping, torturing them and setting them on fire you don't deserve to live.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

+1

I think it's also impressive that in an ultra liberal state like Connecticut the death penalty still exists. Go Connecticut. I'm a liberal as well, but sometimes disagree with my own people.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're not helping your case there buddy.

LOL CT is "ultra liberal"?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The war on drugs has been a failure from the start. The death penalty if used properly would only execute the worst of the worst murders. Just the cold blooded killers who really don't care about human life and have a 100% air tight conviction.

CT is one of the most liberal states in the country.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

capital punishment is wrong and should be done away with for several reasons. all it does it foster a sense of revenge, which any judicial system should avoid, and it gives the government power to kill it's own citizens. neither are acceptable. add in that innocent people end up going to jail and it's just backwards. we should have left this archaic behavior behind a long time ago.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So, two stupids make a clever, do they?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And what is the point of that? Sorry, I meant other than revenge.

Lets just ignore that capital punishment is essentially people agreeing that the government has the right to take the life of an American citizen.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The war on drugs is just stupid.

And what right does one human being have to take the right of another? Should murders not be punished harshly?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes they should, lock them up to rot in jail the rest of their life. Why you want to both take another life and give them the easy painless way out is beyond me. :confused:

I thought you revenge guys would rather see a murderer suffer for a prolonged period of time, rather than just letting them drift off to a nice peaceful sleep.

Also, we all agree that the war on drugs is a massive failure and just plain stupid.

14. skunk, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...which is precisely the question you should be asking about capital punishment.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Letting them drift on to sleep really is letting them take the easy way out, if you really want to make corporal punishment effective you say you will be executed the same way you murdered your victims.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In what way exactly would that be more "effective"? :confused:

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So is there any rationale behind that other than blood lust? Can you answer you own question that skunk quoted earlier?

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's about time the US caught up with the rest of the developed world. Only two European countries (out of 50) have the death penalty, and one of those is only in war. If you look at the list if countries still with the death penalty the US and Japan really stand out.

The US should follow the UK approach- no death penalty for any reason.

I was disappointed to find out that one member of the EU still has the death penalty during times of war (Latvia).

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I believe in an eye for an eye. If you are going to kill somebody and not respect life why should we respect yours.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I believe he is still of the mindset that the death penalty is somehow a deterrent.

What criminal plans on getting caught? :confused:

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why do shoplifters steal knowing there are cameras everywhere? Because they are stupid.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because we are supposed to be better than that, as in, not as blood thirsty as the person you're going to kill.

I really hope you don't think you have some sort of moral high ground, because your argument is self defeating.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If life is worthy of "respect", does it matter whose life it is?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're comparing apples to, well, vegetables really.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Murders are either deranged or ignorant to think they won't eventually get caught. Unless it is a crime of passion why would they not think about the consequences before committing the crime.