Death Threat on AIM – What to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleFan333, Jul 21, 2008.

1. AppleFan333 macrumors member

In the past hour, I've been threatened to be raped and murdered on AIM. I've blocked three user names so far.

The person claims that since I replied they know where I live.

I've searched and it seems that Adium is incapable of sending AIM abuse reports.

So… what should I do? Is there an email address for AIM I could write to? And , would the police be able to do anything?

Thank you in advance.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Print out the conversations then walk/drive down to your local Police Department and give them the print-outs and tell them what has been happening.

What these ppl are doing is highly against the law and you should definitely report them!

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The webmaster/contact area would be the first along with the police in your area.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

5. AppleFan333 thread starter macrumors member

I can't drive, so I'll call the police.

How would I contact the webmaster?

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Definitely print out a hard copy and contact the police. I would also go to aol.com and find an email address to send a complaint to. Threats are surely against the AIM terms of service. Be sure to send usernames to AOL.

7. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Call the police. I wouldn't suggest 911 but maybe just their normal number.

Did you talk to your parents about this?

8. AppleFan333 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

EDIT: That email is currently not accepting emails.

9. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

1. print the text
    2. get a gun
    3. make a list of people who would do this, call the police
    4. inform AOL
    5. light a cigarette
    6. make sure the gun is loaded

10. AppleFan333 thread starter macrumors member

I've got the normal number bookmarked.

No.

11. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

dude, what's step 5 for?

12. AppleFan333 thread starter macrumors member

My printer isn't working right now. I just have the conversations saved as .pdf's.

I've got a stick next to me.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you live at home, tell your parents, now, please.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Glad to see you're taking this seriously...

You need to contact the police. Immediately. If these are credible threats, then your safety is the first priority, not reporting anything to AOL.

And for the love of all that is good in this world, please tell your parents.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'll second that suggestion (or plea).

They'll be able to help you greatly in notifying and collaborating with the police. If you go to the police alone, the first thing they're going to want is to speak with your parents.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if this is serious. yes talk to your parents. why you even came here is beyond me. go to your parents. end of story.

17. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

nerves man nerves!:eek:

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Simply impossible. If they have already correctly stated where you live, it's someone you know who already knew where you lived and what your AIM handle is playing a prank.

19. ph03n1x macrumors member

First you gotta do what the first couple of posters said. Print out a hard copy of it and give it to the cops. Now me, I honestly would do this if it was really serious and not a prank. Lock my windows and use those stoppers too, lock my door, get the gun loaded (or the Louisville Slugger) by my side, and wear gloves. But seriously, be prepared for anything.

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Are you serious?

21. ph03n1x macrumors member

I would be if he lived in Compton :D But since he's probably living in a safe neighborhood, he can do whatever.

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I had a death threat on the phone by my boss. Needless to say I told him where to stuff his crappy job. I guess I should of reported it but I knew he was a lazy ass git and would be very unlikely to drive 30 miles to come and kill me.

Anyway... if you think its a serious threat then go to the police. Only you can determine if you have done enough to antagonize this person as far for him/her to actually carry out what they have said. My guess is it is a hollow threat like most but then again in this day and age you cant be too careful. If you definitely feel threatened, tell your parents/family etc, definitely call the police as its a form of terrorism and do whatever makes you feel safe.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How about an update AppleFan333?
    How did this turn out and did you get anything resolved?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

24. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Follow the advice given here, and try to think about anyone who would know your AIM username as well as you personally. If this person knows you personally, there's a chance it's a "real" threat. By "real threat," I mean it's possible the individual intends to TRY to carry it out... he may waver and give it up though.

If the person doesn't know you personally, there's virtually no chance he has your personal information. If you were less than wise and put real location/name information in your profile, he has an infinitely better chance of finding you. If you absolutely insist, use your real first name and a larger area only (like a state or province). Any additional information is asking for trouble. I personally have created an alias for myself online that includes almost entirely fake information, including a fake first/last name, fake b-day, fake address, and fake job. I use it for those times when I am FORCED to enter that information to open accounts online. The reason I use the same fake info is so that I can remember in case I have to answer security questions involving my personal info.

Right now, check your profile. Remove all identifying information, including age, birthday, name, location, etc. Block all but your friends (allow friends only). Don't have conversations with complete strangers for a while. If you receive any threats, completely ignore them and give no response, but take a screenshot or print out the threat for security measures.

Remember, this is likely a 15-year old boy and his friends goofing around without realizing the serious nature of it, or an anti-social loner (probably male, likely 20's or 30's, still living at home or alone, no job or a dead-end job that he hates, few if any real friends). In both cases, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will follow through. However, it'd be best to pursue it as much as possible, let the police know as well as family and close friends, and try not to walk around alone, especially at night or in secluded areas. Keep friends and family posted about where you are going and when you plan to return, so that they know if something is wrong. Call them to report any drastic changes in your plans. Be cautious of any new males who take a sudden interest in you.