Death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Yumunum, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Are you afraid of death? Personally, I'm freaked out by the fact that we can't prove what happens after our earthly lives end. Heck, think of all the things that could happen to you. Reincarnation, Heaven, Hell, nothingness... I feel like I'll always wonder "What if I'm wrong? What if [x] is true?" What do you think will happen to you after you die?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm not afraid of death. And it doesn't bother me that no one knows what happens after you die because.... NOTHING HAPPENS!

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Death. The final frontier.

Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of the manner of passing.

Trust me on this. ;)

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If nobody "knows", then how do you know nothing happens? Who's died, then come back to tell the tale?

Ya know, something that worries me, is the thought that a possible afterlife will scare me into a religion. If a religion is true then I should follow it, but if I just join one because I'm scared into it, just to "be safe," well, then that would REALLY be lame. I don't want to live a lie

5. 184550 Guest

Wouldn't want to be like Jobs, now would you?

Why worry about something you have zero control over?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Everyone does it, so it must not be that terrible.

Nothing happens when we die. We simply cease to exist, and that should be OK.

7. WildGuess macrumors regular

Even after I die I'm sure that at&t will still be charging me for data.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I am not afraid of death, but thinking about dying freaks me out. I can't imagine not existing. :eek:

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Don't make a decision like that based on fear! Would you really live your life differently if there were an afterlife? Just continue what you're doing and forget about it. Life's answers will come as you live your life.

You can't control what happens or not after death. Practice living in the present and cherish time with those closest to you.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's not something that preoccupies me. I figure that I'll get to experience "one of each age" up to my personal maximum, and that's a fair share.

If and when I see the end coming I'll be disappointed that I won't get to finish all the stuff on my "to do" list. I don't mean a bucket list, just stuff (information, activities, places) that I want to read, do, learn, try, visit, master, etc. and people I'd like to get together with again or more. But I always add items to the "to do" list faster than I cross them off, so that's how it's gonna be.

I hope I leave more of a mark on the world than a bodyprint on the sofa!

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only answer is nobody really knows what happens. You can talk to those who have had near death experiences who say they have seen a light but other than that we won't know until our time comes.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm a little scared to die. Just the thought of how it will happen. I mean one can die in their sleep, a painful cancer, an instant car wreck, a suffering drowning etc...

That being said after the dying process I am not worried at all. Have an amazing afterlife to look forward to. :)

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I didn't exist before I was born and the experience didn't bother me one iota. A similar oblivion awaits, hopefully the transition isn't too distressing.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, I tell that to my friends when they ask. That's why I'm not afraid of death, but imagine how one's last second on earth must be, knowing you'll never be conscious again. I can't fathom that.

15. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I thought from dogma it was your god that had the final say. Hopefully he takes kindly to those who walk around on earth claiming they're on their way. Also hope you arbitrarily chose the right religion or denomination thereof.

From the people I've been round who have died I'd say that one's perspective changes as they get older. For some there becomes a point when they are happy and willing to be embraced by oblivion.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Death is like having sex with an ugly person. Its nothing to be afraid of yet no one really wants to do it. But, sooner or later, we all do it. At least that's what my wife says. Wait, what...?

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well yes you did exist before you were born, you just didn't exist in a fully "mixed" form.

As for death, well I like being alive so in a sense I'm opposed to the concept. But since it seems to be fairly un-avoidable I don't have much reason to worry about it.

As for fear:

"I know what fear is, it's something that happens to other people"
    -Cohen the Barbarian

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't really know how I will feel when I get older, but I actually hope I keep my worldview.
    I'm really hoping to live in a time where stem cell research makes huge lifespans possible. I would gladly be sterilized for an incredibly long life.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Similarly if I popped some of my blood in a freezer I'd achieve "fully mixed" immortality.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I do not think or dwell on it because, yes, death terrifies me.

The fact that I will cease to exist.

I've always said that when I am approaching death, unless it is from brain damage (or there is pre-existing brain damage, such as from alzheimer's), I would very much like to have my head cut off and frozen, in an event that someday in the distant future they would have the technology to "resurrect" me.

However, on the other hand, that possibility also terrifies me - society could have changed beyond recognition, and there is the possibility that they would resurrect me into a hellish existence (say, a brain in a tank, my consciousness trapped within itself), or in any number of hell one could imagine.

That, friends, is a hell of a dilemma.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've considered this too, I just don't tell anyone about it. Seems weird and cowardly, but it's what I really want done with my body.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I actually wouldn't be opposed to being frozen right after death to be woken up sometime in the future.

Vanilla Sky? I'll take the lucid dream option...

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Hardly part of the mixing involves the appearance of emergent properties which make you "alive".

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I am not afraid of Death and do not think there is an after life ... I believe in Compost :cool: