Debate on staying with IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leewalker19, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Leewalker19 macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I really just had a simple question.

Who will all switch if the iPhone 5 or new iPhone doesn't live up to expectations?

My opinion is this. I've had an iPhone since the 3G and now have a 4 and I'm waiting on the new one to see what I will do. Since the 3G the smartphone race has changed dramatically. Android use to be very bad. Lag and just wasn't my taste but now looking at the s3 and current phones their not to bad looking anymore. I have a iPad and MacBook pro as well and love the ecosystem but as far as the phone I don't think as of now apple is on top anymore. Now I know the phone came out almost a yr ago so u can't really compare it to phones coming out now, but after looking over the wwdc, those updates weren't really that good to me. Now I know some features wasn't talked about and th new phone will have exclusive features but I hope it lives up to expectations. Apple definitely has to come back hard cuz if it's a letdown I'll most likely get a S3.

This is just my opinion and like I said I own all apple products and love apple.

This is just my opinion but if the

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It all boils down to what works best for you - iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, even Blackberry - any can be the perfect product for you.

I have certain criteria that will cause me to look elsewhere if the new iPhone does not meet them: display size and LTE being the primary ones. Can I get these now with an Android phone? Yes. I'm really tempted by the One X, but I'm holding out until the fall so I can compare whatever Apple has to offer and the new Google Nexus phone(s).

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've got a 2 Macs and an iPad and an Apple TV

It would make no sense for me to choose Android at this point because the only thing I rely on that is Google is Gmail and Reader feeds.

I'm about efficiency. I don't want to use a bunch of utilities to synchronize content that iCloud is going to handle for me.

If someone was wedded to Google's ecosystem then I'd understand the Android move but a heavy Apple user would be essentially cutting their nose off to spite their face by choosing a platform that's only going to make data sync more difficult.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's a personal decision. For starters, what is your expectations of the new iPhone. Software wise I wouldn't expect anything dramatic. For the most part Apple has been very evolutionary with iOS, not revolutionary. The hardware is due to an overhaul which may or may not include a larger screen. 4G should be a shoe in.

The main thing that keeps me in is the ecosystem. I bought an iPhone to start with as I was tired of buying the same app for Android and iOS as I love the iPad and Android tablets just don't do it for me. As I've said before, it's not just the phone it's the whole ecosystem. Get your hands on an Android phone to take a look at the apps. The vast majority are add powered with most not giving an option to pay to get rid of them. They generally come out much later than iOS counterparts. In general the quality isn't up to par of iOS. Android as an OS is solid, the phones are solid, but the apps are subpar to me.

5. irDigital0l Guest

My advice is wait until Sep/Oct for when Apple announces the new iPhone.

If it satisfies your requirements then get it, if it doesn't switch to Android or Windows.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII and other good phones might even get a price drop during that time if you don't like the new iPhone.

So waiting is really a win, win situation.

6. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I've used several Android phones and I'm very unimpressed. The system looks a lot like Apple's, but it doesn't work as smoothly. It's obvious that they copied heavily from iPhone but the quality isn't there.

Part of Android's problem is that it's a generic OS, so it's very difficult for software developers to ensure compatibility on every hardware platform.

7. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. It's good to get everyone's opinions. I'm going to wait and see what happens. I hope the iPhone is good since its what I'm use too but other platforms are stepping up. I guess I just really want apple to make a jump again ahead of everyone.

8. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Where do you think Android phones have an advantage over iPhone? All I see is more variety in screen sizes, but nothing truly better. I do see dramatic advantages for iPhone, however.

9. Leewalker19 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly it just looks different. I do like some of the bigger screens and I like the customization options as well like widgets for example.

----------

Really what do u see that's makes the iPhone stand out from a phone such as the S3?

----------

Really what do u see that's makes the iPhone stand out from a phone such as the S3?

10. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I've got all Macs in my house, plus an iPad, and Apple TV. iCloud just works, and airplay is really awesome too! Forgot my Jambox that works with airplay as well. It would be silly for me to switch to another platform at this point. Plus with the iPhone 5 literally right around the corner, I'd wait.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Comming from a 4. The 5 would be a great update for me. iOS works for me and has been solid. So a bigger screen and the software and hardware updates that will surpass the 4S is good enough for me since I never had the 4S. I highly doubt I'll be disappointed when they preview the 5.

For those who are looking for an equivalent of a swiss army knife with 1001 features, your barking up the wrong tree. Just get the latest high speced Android phone.

12. jlwilsonjr macrumors member

Been thinking about this also

I'll stay with apple. Like many others I have to much invested in the apple ecosystem. I actually like the fact that android has uped its game, this will require apple to do the same for us consumers competition is good.

I have the 4 currently waiting to see what happens in the fall. I don't expect to be able to do any of the fun customizations like themes, widgets etc with the 5 so I'll just jb my 4 and use it when I get tired of the same ole look.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When people say they "have a lot invested in the Apple ecosystem", what do they mean? I am genuinely curious. Does that just mean "I bought multiple Apple products" or what?

14. noteple macrumors 65816

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Just curious, what data are you actually syncing? AFAIK photostream is really the only thing Apple has that Google doesn't in terms of data sync.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

My Mac to iOS iCloud apps

Byword - markdown
    iA Writer - markdown
    Due - Timer
    Day One - Journal

Soon Tweetbot for Mac

Lion was just a start. Mountain Lion is going to make it ridiculously easy to deliver iCloud sync across Mac and iOS devices. Most developers that sat out the first round will be hopping in soon is the feeling that i'm getting.

17. kdarling, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As for apps, here's the major free ones I use on Android every day, and do NOT have ads:

• Amazon
    • Calendar
    • eBay
    • Facebook
    • Flipboard
    • GMail
    • Kayak
    • Maps
    • Mint
    • Moon Phase Widget
    • Navigation
    • Netflix
    • Optimum
    • Trulia
    • USAToday
    • Yelp
    • YouTube
    These free apps do have ads (I had to look, because I usually don't notice the ads, except for of course the huge ones in the free version of Angry Birds):
    • Angry Birds (for my daughter)
    • Careerbuilder
    • Hangman (for my daughter)
    • Pandora
    • RadarNow (free version)
    • VidTrim (free version)
    • Weather Channel

I agree that it's possible that a lot of games and/or small rarely used utilities have ads; however I don't use many of those.

18. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

For people complaining about ads, there are ad free versions of android apps. You just have to pay for those just on iOS :)

19. Syk macrumors 6502a

I have the iP4,had the 3g before that. A couple of iPod Touches and an iPad2 but I'm really thinking about buying the SIII out right just to try something new. I don't think the new iphone is going to be different enough this time around for me. Not a fan of the 4" stretch screen either.

I don't have a ton of bought apps and the apps I do use are on Android also.

If for some reason I don't like the SIII and the new iphone wows me. I'll probably reup my contract, get the new one for $200 and give me son my SIII and he can use it on StraightTalk.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Products, software (including apps), songs, films etc., not to mention expertise. This last point is not to be underestimated. I view a lot of the sterile debates about iOS vs. Android, PC vs Mac, Flash vs. HTML 5 etc. as people trying to protect their little patch of technical expertise from becoming devalued.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Apps I will give you, but songs and films? Those can all be used on virtually any device we want, can they not? But FWIW even when talking apps... if I am listing that I have something like an iMac and an Apple TV how does apps come into play? Those are pretty device specific.

----------

I have bolded my responses. Please understand, I am not saying you are wrong for choosing what you chose. I am simply pointing out that I don't think it is an example of being invested in the ecosystem. You prefer apps produced for iOS/OSX. That I can get on board with. Being that you can do everything you listed (minus maybe the journal thing) on any other device just as easily and for free (again, not saying you should or have to, just saying it's possible) I don't see how this is an investment in Apple's ecosystem.

FWIW I do all of the things you mentioned (minus the journal thing) on iOS, but use Google for all syncing (except photos) because it gives me the freedom to access this data easily on non-apple devices.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The Apple ecosystem means many things.

Like the flexibility of downloading purchased apps on iOS devices for a given Apple ID. The ability to delete movies purchased from iTunes and then stream them to an Apple TV.

iCloud sync of user data and account settings. Apple view of the world is Cloud connected mobile and desktop devices. Googles is web centric (their strength)

Apple will always try to skew towards the OS and apps handling tasks whereas Google will attempt to leverage the web.

I'm a native app guy that likes the web for sync but I don't like pushing everything to the web.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

With respect to songs and films, it just a little inconvenient to transfer them. Not a big issue on its own, but convenience is one of the reasons why people feel 'invested' the Apple environment.

24. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

It is up to you. I'll probably upgrade to iPhone 5 assuming it'll have larger display. Sync between devices is really important for me, thus I wouldn't stick so tough with Apple stuff if it didn't work so well together.

Try to figure out best way for yourself. If the product doesn't meet our expectations, is it really worth to spend your money on it?

25. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

to me, the value is in the itunes ecosystem, not the phone. i can not really imagine myself being that excited about any phone. itunes may not be a huge money maker for apple, but i think there are a lot of users like myself who will stay with an apple mobile device to maintain the simplicity of itunes media. I will, however, be replacing my ipad with a surface, but it will be running itunes.