Debate over evolution shuts down IMAX film

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

WOODS HOLE - It seemed innocuous enough: a 40-minute movie about underwater volcanoes that briefly mentions life on Earth may have arisen from the sea.

But the 2003 IMAX film ''Volcanoes of the Deep Sea,'' whose producer consulted with scientists from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and used its Alvin submersible to film the underwater volcanoes, has been banned by some theater owners and managers in the Bible Belt because it briefly mentions the theory of evolution.

The controversy, coupled with a nascent effort to include teaching ''intelligent design'' alongside evolution in public school curricula, has helped thrust the long-running battle between religion and science back into the limelight.

Proponents of religion argue that evolution is ''theory,'' not fact. Supporters of science point to the time-tested underpinnings of Darwin's theory of evolution, a pillar of the modern life sciences since it was introduced in the mid-19th century.

The evolution reference in ''Volcanoes,'' which includes footage filmed from Alvin at depths of more than 12,000 feet, prompted officials of more than a dozen IMAX theaters to ban the film. Previews indicated some audiences found the big-screen movie blasphemous because it contradicts the biblical account of how life on Earth began.

(more)
seems there's a battle brewing between proponents of "separation of church and state" and "separation of science and commerce."

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
It's interesting that "intelligent design" pretty much means sitting in a dark room with your fingers in your ears, eyes closed, rocking back and forth mumbling "God is the creator, God is the creator."

"ID" seems to suggest that God, which I consider a perfect being, created a system whereby all these complex elements could grow and change over time but the system wasn't perfect enough to create man, so he had to come down and "manually adjust" the system. If he was going to go to all that trouble, the least he could do is make it so that my sh*t doesn't stink.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
skunk said:
In time, maybe. At the moment all I see is assertion.
Evolution is far more than an assertion. It's a theory just as gravity is a theory. The statement made by creationists that evolution has "so many holes" is simply ridiculous. Sadly, it's something people hear and accept. Evolution could be a well supported theory even without a fossil-record which allegedly has so many holes.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Peterkro said:
Obv. creationism is a load of bollocks the problem is science is not so different.
Please expound on this . . . a statement so ludicrous needs to be supported.

. . . I don't expect support for it, I just want to point out how ridiculous of a statement that is.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
anonymous161 said:
It seems there is a battle brewing between people who have brains and people who don't. So much for natural selection.
Quite the contrary. Natural selection means that those within a species that are best adapted to their environment are more likely to pass on their successful traits to the next generation. In the current political climate, it is obviously the brain dead who are most suited to survive and pass on their genes. So Bush's success is just natural selection in its continued action. Gives you lots of hope for humanity, doesn't it? :eek:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Meh. I accept Evolution and I believe that God was responsible for much of it.

Oh, and if you boys and girls remember your science lessons, much of it is based on survival of the luckiest... :rolleyes:

katchow

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
But it's also interesting that the theory of evolution needs so much blind faith to fill in the gaps.
bang! and they're off. jes' kidding guys. i enjoy the discourse around here :)

anyone cares to try to convince NASA to seriously consider reindeers as propulsion systems?
i'm reminded of a conversation i had with a pastor when i was a kid (friend dragged me to his church youth group). When trying to convince me that faith is all you need he asked me if i believed in atoms. I said sure, to which he quickly retorted, "well, have you ever actually seen one?". Boy, he really had me there. At the time, i think i said something like "no, but i don't worship atoms either". Thinking back, (the best quips come years later) i would have asked him "do people from Hiroshima believe in the atom?"

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
anonymous161 said:
"ID" seems to suggest that God, which I consider a perfect being, created a system whereby all these complex elements could grow and change over time but the system wasn't perfect enough to create man, so he had to come down and "manually adjust" the system. If he was going to go to all that trouble, the least he could do is make it so that my sh*t doesn't stink.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Something is either perfect or it's not.

Personally, I find the "Who are we to question the will of God?" response a much better non-answer.

Lethal

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i shall pose the age-old question: can god make a rock so big that i cannot lift it?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
zimv20 said:
(only if god exists)
Correct. However, that question is usually used to debate the existance of God with believers, hence the assumption that God does exist.

Or as a Jewish friend once asked, can this God make a bagel so big even He could not eat it? :p