Debating getting rid of iPhone 4S (or any mobile phone) since I got iPad 4G LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Being the gadget geek that I am I know I probably would never part with my iPhone as I'm too addicted to using it... but I'm highly debating it.

I don't make many calls... and when I do it's to either At&t to bitch or one of my many other service companies (Dish Network, Electric, Apple) and nobody but work ever calls me. Most of my minutes are only used of me being put on hold by various companies.

Currently I have my Google Voice as the number I give out to everybody anyway (which I then have directed to my iPhone's number) and I also use Talkatone on Wifi if I don't feel like using my minutes at home.

Now since I have an iPad 4G LTE I'm data connected at all times for 20-30 bucks a month with no taxes. I could really save myself a bit of money by dropping the mobile phone bill and just using my iPad for the handful of calls I make... otherwise I can text/email/imessage/call straight from my iPad whenever needed anyway...

What do you think? I'm not ready to do this quite yet... maybe in a years time, really. I just signed a contract for my 4S in October so I've got a ways to go if I don't want to pay the fee.

But this is just food for thought. Anyone think about doing this?

2. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Use Skype on your iPad, it's like$60 a year if you buy it annually.

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I've thought about doing this many, many times... dumping iPhone for a non smart phone and just keeping iPad and data plan with it..

I'd probably save close to $100 a month.. I've just never actually acted on my thoughts.. I keep saying "one of these days"..

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I still find the concept of making phonecalls from my iPad awkward. It's just too large of a device to use conveniently for calls on the go.

Maybe if I was at my desk in my office, but on the go? I'd rather have a phone I can whip out of my pocket.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Not a bad idea... but what advantages does it have over Talkatone/Google Voice which is free?

----------

I'd use a headset so I that I don't look crazy. Bluetooth or wired.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If you already have a LTE iPad and a iPhone off plan you could hotspot from your iPad and use Skype on your iPhone but now you'd have to keep the iPad around but eliminates that awkwardness of skyping off iPad.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It makes me realize how different we all are as getting rid of my cell phone for the iPad would be ABSURD for me.:eek:

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Oh yeah there is THAT too!

9. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Never used talkatone looks similar to Skype but Skype provides a real number to use.

10. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've made 1 call on my iPhone since I got my iPad... sent a bunch of texts and played Tiny Tower... the only thing I'd actually use it as is a audio player at night on my clock radio dock... but like the previous poster said... I could keep the iPhone and just tether it to my iPad to make calls etc... still have use of the iPhone just with no Phone plan attached.

11. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

I have the 4G LTE also and I would never be able to give up my iPhone 4s. Money wise your theory makes sense but I could never do it even if it saved me $. In the long run I would imagine you would regret it. In the end, the iPhone is still a MUCH better portable device.

12. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Well since I can't fit my iPhone in my pocket this is absurd to me. :D

13. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

You use your free google voice number with Talkatone. What it actually does is it relays your GV number and goes through GTalk and you're able to dial peoples number and receive calls and texts via your iOS device. I love it... but sometimes there are network issues.

----------

What if I just kept my iPhone and had it tethered to the iPad at all times in my bag?

14. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

It really depends on your situation. We have family phone and text plans, so my iPhone adds the cost of mobile data ($15 per month cheapo plan for me) plus the $199 purchase price. I bought a wifi only iPad, since I don't use much cellular data and have wifi most places that we go.

If I bought the cellular iPad, it would have cost $130 more plus the data plan..which is almost the same as the iPhone cost. I prefer to have the cellular data on my phone, since it is always in my pocket. Also, I like having both an iphone and ipad. With kids, two devices are sometimes better than one. Again, it depends on your situation.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just so we understand, tell us about your life style that would allow you to not have a phone. Are you a student or working in the corp world or what? I would like to know how this could be done in one's life. Amazing

16. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm just mulling it over really...

I work in an office. So I'm around a landline from 9 to 6pm everyday Mon-Fri. I have a wife and an 8 year old daughter. Besides work, the wife would call me sometimes to tell me she's on the way... most of the time I miss the call because I never expect anyone to call me. All my friends text/IM/email/facebook me

I think as a convenience it's probably better to have both devices around. But it's an interesting thought is all...

90% of my communication outside of face to face is either text or instant message in my life though.

17. andross77 macrumors regular

Agreed. If anything I've considered returning my ipad (this is my first) as i see it as just a big iphone :) There is nothing i use it for that my iphone doesn't do the same. OBVIOUSLY, the screen real estate is nice but again it does not do anything new for me.

The iphone on the other hand also makes calls. I am going to keep the ipad for a while to see how my reading 1+ hour a day is improved but if i had to decide between the 2 it would by iphone 4s without a second thought.

But interesting some people contemplate the opposite :) I guess i just like having whatever gadget i own on me at all times. I won't do that with the ipad, but the iphone is with my from when i get up in the morning until i go to bed.

18. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well I'm in a similar situation... I'm on my parent's At&t family plan and it's one of the reasons I'm sticking with it because my monthly is only 25 plus tax... I toss them $40 a month just to cover things.

But if I was on one of those single plans $100+ plans with data, etc this would almost be a done deal for me.

My wife has my old SERO Sprint plan 40 bucks a month unlimited everything minus landline calls which is limited to 500 min. If I could score another one of those I'd go back in a heart beat.

----------

So does mine... but what I'm saying is the iPad DOES make calls via an app and with no phone contract! And I've been bringing my iPad to work with me every day this week. It practically hasn't left my side..

19. AppChat macrumors regular

Or just use the wifi and not use lte unless ur traveling or something

iPhone is a much more portable device that one can carry everywhere more convienantly

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

I am waiting for LTE iphone. Then I will drop the iPad plan and tether from the iPhone. That seems way more practical than loosing the small device in favor of the large one.

21. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well it's more about not paying for the phone/texting plan which includes tax and other weird fees. You'd save a bundle at 20-30 flat fee a month to just use LTE and Wifi only for all your communication uses.

If only they would make the iPod Touch a mini iPad 4G LTE. :D

22. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth headset would solve that issue :p

Still, to each his own. I still prefer having an actual phone.

23. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I'm almost the same 99% of my calls are work related (I have work provided Nokia 6230i for taking these lol), I would dump the iPhone if I could and just have iPad if I could find an easy way to carry it!

24. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think iOS is actually best experienced on the iPad. (I personally can't stand iOS on the iPhone). Something about it on the iPad just makes a lot more sense. It's not as cramped as the small iPhone screen. The keyboard is infinitely better (bigger keys maybe, or the fact that it can split screen?). Mail is far easier to navigate and use. Safari tabbing is more natural (I can't believe how unintuitive it is to switch between tabs on the phone. It's like 3 steps just to accomplish one tab switch; more if you are switching to a tab that's multiple pages away).

There are a few other examples.

25. Arid macrumors member

Arid

would love to be able to do that but don't think the iPad is an alternative for my iPhone right now. But the thought of carrying only one device is intriguing.