Debating off and on about iPhone X.. Finally made up my mind. Thank you Apple for making it easy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialiphoneuser, Oct 1, 2017.

1. serialiphoneuser, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

I've been debating off and on about getting the iPhone X. Finally made up my mind. Thank you Apple for making it easy!

I won't be "giving in" to the inferior tech and increased inconvenience with the lack of Touch-ID. Or be a part of case study of how people use Face-ID or be one of those who make it seem it's perfectly normal to use Big Brother Facial Rec for casual everyday use on your phone.

$999 Price does sting.. but that was not a dealbreaker. They failed to convince about the Safety of the tech.

- Having the IR and Dot Projector radiation pulsed at your eyes.. ~80 times a day on average. Where's long term safety studies on this? What spectrum/wavelengths are those waves? Where's the white-paper on those the TrueDepth sensors and long term safety studies?
    - Having to constantly stare / actively gaze at your phone, then swipe up to unlock it. ~80 TIMES A DAY!
    - Having to resort to using 6 digit Passcode after paying a hefty price.. No way for $999

2. Lowgun84 macrumors newbie

Lowgun84

Must not of been to “easy” of a choice took you 3 weeks...

3. unibility macrumors 6502a

I'm holding out for an iPhone X 'Jet Black' and fingerprint sensor under the glass. One of these days I hope. Until then I'm sticking with my iPhone 7 256GB 'Jet Black.'

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I was with you all the way through the first sentence of the second paragraph.

5. Relentless Power, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There isn't going to be an iPhone with a fingerprint sensor embedded under the display for future iPhones. Face ID is Apple's new form of security for the future and Craig Federighi stated Touch ID was originally planned, However once Face ID became operating, they dropped touch ID altogether.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

6. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I will wait until there is real-world usage. For now, I think having to look at the screen to unlock it seems to be cumbersome. I have my 8 plus which is a great phone for now.

7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I think you can turn Face ID off if you are worried, or perhaps wrap aluminum foil around your head.

8. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

9. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

Good one less person to worry about when pre order comes around, thanks :)

10. serialiphoneuser thread starter macrumors regular

Forums are for sharing opinions.. everyone can chime in.

11. akash.nu, Oct 1, 2017

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Got the 8 plus for exactly that reason. First generation devices are always a risk and I’m not going to spend that much money and take risk with the only device I rely upon the most.

12. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Make sure you don’t go out in daylight if you’re worried about invisible light waves. Or sit under any light at all of any kind. Or live on earth.

13. hush17 macrumors newbie

hush17

How is the tech inferior and how do you know for sure Face ID is inconvenience compared to Touch ID if you have never used it?
    Again this is not how Face ID is supposed to work. Or you're too lazy to be looking at your phone while using it? LOL
    You're gonna be stuck with your 7 for a looooooooooooooooooong time.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Absolutely. But I fail to see the need of starting yet another thread to reiterate the same points that have been covered by many existing threads.

15. comptr macrumors 68000

yup.

16. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

17. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Keep an eye out for how many Apple execs and board members are sporting an iPhone X or if they’ve gone back to an iPhone 8

18. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

@OP - you have a point but being in an Apple forum you’re gonna end up getting flamed hard. Better go to Android Central you’ll get supporters ready to bash Apple and its products.

19. KitnB, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

KitnB macrumors newbie

I think this is one of the most polarizing iPhone releases in Apple’s history. So many long time iPhone owners are either pissed off, confused as to which iPhone to get or simply staying with whichever iPhone they have because they don’t want to pay the $$$ for a sideways “upgrade”.

I’m in the latter camp. I’m sticking with what I have now and just going to wait and see or simply switch back to Android full time.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Idk, when they increased the phone size and added the plus people certainly did not know how to handle that much choice.

21. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

I don’t understand why the hate of face ID, sure you could unlock without looking with Touch ID but then what? You now have to look at your phone to use it anyways. If you want hands free 100% then use Hey Siri.

22. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Thank you!! One less to worry about on launch day.

23. DNichter, Oct 1, 2017

DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I don’t get it either. I have read so many posts about how people can unlock without looking at the phone like that is some sort of advantage. You still have to look at your phone to use it. And if you ultimately don’t need to even think about Face ID which is what many reports/hands on have shown, then its a better solution. We should at least give the tech chance before deeming it inferior. The same fears existed before Touch ID and now people can’t live without it. But by all means, don’t buy it. That’s the freedom of choice. Really no need for one more (among many) thread about it. Great, you don’t like a product. Don’t buy it. Move on.

24. Starfyre, Oct 1, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

$999 Price does sting.. but that was not a dealbreaker. They failed to convince about the Safety of the tech.

- Having the IR and Dot Projector radiation pulsed at your eyes.. ~80 times a day on average. Where's long term safety studies on this? What spectrum/wavelengths are those waves? Where's the white-paper on those the TrueDepth sensors and long term safety studies?
    IR has a longer wavelength than visible light. The light your exposed to without the iPhone X is considered more harmful than the IR and dot projector.
    - Having to constantly stare / actively gaze at your phone, then swipe up to unlock it. ~80 TIMES A DAY!
    That is way too many times using the phone. There are 24 hours in a day, you should be sleeping for 8. That makes 16 hours. You gonna look at your phone at least 5-6 times each hour? Sounds like addiction.
    - Having to resort to using 6 digit Passcode after paying a hefty price.. No way for $999
    Nothing wrong with using a passcode.

There are a lot of valid points, but for me, what is keeping me waiting is:

1- Camera Quality
    2- Face Recognition (Animoji, Scene Clips)
    3- Augmented Reality

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Pfffft. If my body can handle trillions of neutrinos passing through the earth and through my body every day, I ain't afraid of no infrared rays.