Debian Sid Remix (ppc32/ppc64)

repairedCheese

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2020
And, while I was at it, I found some instructions on how to remove a new kernel if you got it installed. It needs a little bit of tweaking for our specific kernel versions, but I did get the new 5.4 kernel installed when I updated, and I did also use this to get it off. So now I not longer need to boot with the "old" command at boot: line.

Annoyingly, it means that "apt-mark hold linux-image-4.15.0-2-powerpc64" didn't work for me, as it said I had already done it once I tried it again, but it looks like I have a stable working Debian 10 ppc system running quite nicely.

Reactions: wicknix

repairedCheese

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2020
And, while I was at it, I found some instructions on how to remove a new kernel if you got it installed. It needs a little bit of tweaking for our specific kernel versions, but I did get the new 5.4 kernel installed when I updated, and I did also use this to get it off. So now I not longer need to boot with the "old" command at boot: line.

Annoyingly, it means that "apt-mark hold linux-image-4.15.0-2-powerpc64" didn't work for me, as it said I had already done it once I tried it again, but it looks like I have a stable working Debian 10 ppc system running quite nicely.
Well, that didn't work. It eventually stopped booting. Which is weird, because it was booting properly at first, but soon needed boot: old, and on top of all of that, my Powermac7,3 never had sound. It definitely thought it did, but I couldn't get it to actually produce sound. Which is weird, because at least Lubuntu had sound. You'd think Debian would too.

It definitely looks like apt-mark hold is the right approach about the kernel, I'm just not sure quite why it didn't work. From what I've been googling, I'm thinking I didn't lock enough down. There do seem to be options to try, on that front.

But it's all a lot less useful if I can't get sound to work. So it's all a work in progress, and I think I've done enough for the night.

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Bummer. Odd the hold didn't work. You can try 1 last thing that I did, and it seems to be working for the last few weeks. After I did the hold, I manually downloaded Ubuntu' s latest 4.4.x-173 kernel and modules. Then I sudo dpkg -i installed those. That overwrote the default 4.15 kernel and became my new default kernel. It's been booting fine since. I kept the .deb packages though in case I need to force that kernel over an upgrade again.

Now if you can't boot, all is not lost. Use lubuntu live dvd to boot in to a working desktop, then chroot in to your broken debian install. Wget that Ubuntu kernel and modules, install, unmount the chroot and reboot.

I hope they fix the 5.x kernel soon. None if this is/was an issue on my g4 mac mini which can also use the 5.x kernel without issue.

As for sound, check out the Linux wiki here on macrumors. You may need to load a few extra sound modules, or like me, just use alsamixer, choose soundbylayout as sound card and raise 'pcm' up from 0 to say 65.

Cheers

repairedCheese

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2020
Well, that seems to have helped. First thing I did was try out alsamixer, and it got sound, so everything seems to work. I was finally able to try out VLC 3, while there's something funky with the open gl output, setting it to x11 works, even if it's not as fast as it would be in OSX. So maybe there's something off with gpu support? Or maybe VLC just wants more than the old Radeon 9600 can offer.

So, I seem to have a functional Debian Sid system once more. I'll certainly post updates if there are any problems, or if there are any surprising developments.

ltpitt

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Hello there and thanks for this great work!

My poor Mac Mini G4, valiantly serving in my home for a decade, was very happy about this :D
I have Debian working on it, does this mean that I can use a new sources.list and update?