December 09 is Sonys bigest Month in Sales History

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Jan 14, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/01/14/december-2009-was-best-month-in-ps3-history/

according to sonys Numbers They Sold 3.8 Million units World Wide 1.7 of wich are from the US alone. It will be intresting to see the Final NPD Numbers MS hasnt said anything yet so either theyre close with PS3 in Sales or Floped Horribly this Month anyway its a good spot to be in for ps3, with MAG Heavy Rain and GT5 later this year PS3 looks to be continuing to do well.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's been good for everyone. (from Joystiq)

-Wii: 3.81M (+202%)
    -DS: 3.31M (+95%)
    -PS3: 1.36M (+92%)
    -360: 1.31M (+60%)
    -PSP: 655K (+123%)
    -PS2: 333K (+64%)

Go PSP! Hope these sales spur on more exclusive PSP games. Not so interested in any of these big console games coming out (except maybe Dead Rising 2, Last Guardian, FFXIII, new Zelda, Metroid and Mario) so I don't think I'll be helping sales figures this year.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

You can add up all of the Non-Nintendo hardware (PS2, PS3, PSP, 360), and the Wii alone outsold it (US NPD sales). Decent numbers for the PS3, for sure, but the PS2 still had a bigger December back in 2002.
    Bringing up the rear in 3rd place is a "good spot" to be? Lets be realistic here, they will never get to 1st. So, they have the 360 to beat for 2nd place. But, the rate at which they are gaining on the 360 is so slight, that it will probably take 3-4 more years to catch it. And by that time we will almost certainly be preparing for, or already have, a new MS console.
    MAG and Heavy Rain will be giant sales flops, guaranteed. I don't doubt that they will be good games, but they will not bring in sales. MAG is just another generic shooter, of which there are already plenty of, not the least of which is MW2, which even on PS3 is selling well. And Heavy Rain is just to obscure to do well. It will be an interesting game, for sure, but that isn't the kind of game that sells well.

Gran Turismo is Sony's best selling franchise, so GT5 will certainly sell well... whenever it comes out. It was delayed earlier this week, so who knows when it will come out. Between the time GT4 came out and now, there have been 3 Forza games. Now sure, the first Forza was not that great, but the second one was a VERY good improvement. And Forza 3 is, well lets just say it, it is a great racing game. It made the racing fun again.

GT has slowly turned into Pokemon with cars, and frankly, even myself, a diehard GT fan, is getting tired of the series. And sadly, the time-trial/demo that is available on PSN isn't helping change my mind. It is a very pretty game. But, I don't want pretty. I want fun racing, and right now, that is from Forza.

God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII will probably sell well, though. And both come out in March, so that will be a GREAT month for Sony. So, there are plenty of other games coming out later this year for the PS3 that I'm excited about. The problem for Sony though, is there is also a decent number coming on 360 as well. So again, if all they do is slightly chip away at MS sales lead, it will be while before we're talking about Sony leading them.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dunno, Sony is doing well worldwide. Last week it outsold the 360 by 100K in the three markets. It's never going to be as big in the US obviously but if Europe and Japan keep buying them by the end of the generation PS3 could be the sales winner. Though you have to wonder if Natal/Sony Motion Controllers are going to do anything at all. I hope they bomba hard :mad:

But to be realistic, Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo don't care about 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. As long as they are profitable. Both Sony and MS are making some money, which is good for them and for the industry. Too bad they will never recoup all the cash spent on this generation but oh well, that's last years loss :p

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yea, I should have been more clear that I'm just speaking more from a US sales perspective. The 360 isn't as big in Europe, and has basically ZERO presence in Japan. So the PS3 will obviously keep its lead in those markets.

But I guess my point still stands. If it takes ALL THE WAY until the end of the PS3's life cycle to eclipse 360 sales in the US, is that really a "win" for them? Like I said before, I would be VERY surprised if in a couple years we don't have info on the next Xbox. This year will obviously be their "Natal" year, but I wouldn't be surprised if next year at GDC or E3 we get early details of the next machine, with it possibly shipping the following holiday (2012). I very much doubt Sony will be ready for a PS4 that early. So, even if they top the sales of the 360, if MS is already on to another machine at that point, it won't really matter much in the eyes of the consumer.
    This year's GDC and E3 will be very telling. We should see some software, and hopefully get some pricing for both units. If they can somehow make them compelling experiences, and not just some boring, tacked-on motion stuff (like early Wii stuff), they could do well. I'm not that excited about either yet, but without seeing any software for them, it's really hard to say as of yet.
    Yea, Nintendo is just killing it this generation, on pretty much every level. MS only just recently got to that break-even point, and even after the Slim, Sony is STILL losing $$$ on every sale. So, not only is Nintendo the only one making decent money on their hardware, but they are also selling the most of it as well. Now, to be fair, the software and accessory side of things seems to be doing fine for both MS and Sony. But by the end of this generation, the GIANT PILE OF $$$$ that Nintendo will have amassed is going to be crazy. They are definitely rewriting the book on how to sell product.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It always amazes me when USA|CANADA people keep saying that the 360 isn't big in Europe ? Like you even know where Europe is :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm from Yurp and I concur. The 360 is epic here. It's everywhere. Everyone has one (or twelvety), just as everyone and pubs now have Wii's.

8. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Please note that I didn't say it wasn't big... (emphasis added for clarification)
    I was merely stating that is wasn't AS big. Microsoft recently stated at CES that the 360 has sold some 39M consoles worldwide. Well, when roughly 25M of those come from the US, you can understand why I would label every other market as not AS big. It sells just fine everywhere in the world, besides Japan. But, when roughly 2/3 of your sales come from one country, even "good" sales in other parts of the world seem small in relation.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What problem, there is no problem...The PS3 has good games coming out as well as the 360 which can co-exists without one being cannibalized. Although you have an opinion of GT5(and the others you mention) means the rest of the world sees it that way and I can ensure you nothing will hurt the sells of big hitters like GT5 because people actually want the game(For the record GT5 was delayed in Japan and never had a solid date for the rest of the world)
    The hardware is selling quite well for sony...they've chipped the lead down to about 6-5 million now..last year the lead was 8-7 million. I'm not sure if they will beat out the 360 this generation but in reality that doesn't and shouldn't matter because in the end we as consumers win with more software being produced for both systems.

Sony's PS3 has come a long way in its three year cycle and its improving greatly.

Props to Nintendo but I can't understand whats going on there where the 3rd party isn't making any more money and advising to slow support...its a gold mind.

Bless

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

- Wall of Text: Inbound -

TL;DR Version: Sony is fine, but for how long
    Oh, I don't doubt they will coexist this generation. The PS3 is selling fairly well, that isn't in question from me. But the problem that I see them having is in a couple years. One of, if not the BIGGEST, reasons that MS has a lead now is because they decided to drop the original Xbox early, and move on the the 360 to get a jump on the next generation. That now means they are in a better position now to release earlier than their competitor AGAIN, while Sony is still struggling to recoup expenses on their bold hardware decisions.

One only need to look at the top software sales every month to see how this can be very bad for Sony. Even now, with a very good consumer base on both sides, multiplatform games consistently sell in noticeably higher numbers on the 360. So, if all of a sudden MS releases a new Xbox, not only will they be coming off a console that sold better with multiplatform titles, but their main competitor's top machine is then relegated to current day PS2-ish status. The PS2 today is still a nice machine, but it's definitely a 2nd tier machine.

Sony made some bold moves building the PS3. They gambled that even at a higher price than their competitor, the consumer would see the value it offered (launching with Blu-ray, Wifi, HDD, HDMI). The consumer didn't adopt in as big of numbers as they hoped, and then the economy went to crap, and it got worse. So, now they are in almost the opposite position from MS. They almost HAVE to keep going with the PS3 for many years to come just to try and make SOME money back on the venture. I just don't see them cutting-bait early (like MS with the original Xbox) and releasing the PS4 early. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening.
    I didn't mean to sound like I was speaking for the world. That was merely my opinion and the opinion of my friends. Nothing more.
    Understood. I mentioned that earlier. The GT series is Sony's largest franchise. When a glorified demo, GT5: Prologue, can sell over 4.5M units at $40USD, that speaks very loudly.
    That doesn't help. When Polyphony's main competitor, Turn 10, has released it's 3rd (and very competent) installment to the genre, a genre PD basically made, there comes a time when they need to just cut the crap and release something. Again, I enjoy racing games, so I will certainly buy GT5 when it comes. But, the longer they delay things, the more it has to be absolute perfection in order to live up to the hype. I will reserve final judgment for the final game, but if the recent "Time Trial" demo is indicative of the final product, I'm going to be thoroughly unimpressed. Time, it seems, will tell though.
    As a consumer, I agree completely. I have both a 360 and PS3, and enjoy them both. But, sadly, in today's business world, it doesn't really matter what we, the consumer, think. It is about shareholders and their earnings. And if your console continues to bring up 3rd place, doesn't sell as well with multiplatform titles, and continues to lose $$$, where do they draw the line? I certainly hope they don't drop out, and do think that is far from happening. But, I would have said the same thing had you asked me about Sega in the late 90's, and look at them now. It is a fickle thing, the publicly traded business world.
    [​IMG]

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the problem with the xbox360 is:
    it is succesful in countries speaking english ... everywhere else: not so much

go to france, germany, italy or spain and it will look quite different ...
    nearly all 360 success in europe is concetrated in the UK in many continetal europe PC online gaming is still big with male teenagers .. and because of that the xbox suffers ...

i know 1 person owning an xbox .. a male teenager
    meanwhile 4 of my friends have bought a ps3 just since august (the pricedrop)
    and that with an elite + 3 games (forza 3, lego batman + another one) costing 249 euro and the arcade costing 149 with 1 game

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

You two aren't from Europe. You're from the UK :p;) No Euro = No Europe.

hmmm.. though the "English" you speak certainly does seem to be a foreign language...

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

50% of the people you mentioned are in the Euro :p.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Please tell me you're joking...

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I'll be damned... I should Google more before I harass

The funny English thing still works though :p You can't take that from me!