Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
A recent class-action lawsuit confirms what most of us already know…

“A small group of PC owners has quietly filed a class action lawsuit against Intel, Gateway, and Hewlett-Packard alleging the companies misled them into believing the Pentium 4 was a superior processor to Intel's own Pentium III and AMD's Athlon.”

and...

“’The plaintiffs claim the companies deceived the public when marketing Intel's flagship processor and allege that it is ‘the material fact that there is no benefit to consumers in choosing the Pentium 4 over the Pentium III.’ The complaint alleges that ‘the Pentium 4 is less powerful and slower than the Pentium III and/or the AMD Athlon.’”

Just thought this was interesting :) For more information, check out the link below:

Bill

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,104075,00.asp

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Do you think they've been looking for the plaintiffs for almost two years? Performance doesn't seem to be a big issue anymore.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
héhéhé, finally the myth around intel and it's P4 is crumbling.

So this is thread 1 in the series of : 'A small group of PC owners has quietly filed a class action lawsuit against Intel, Gateway, and Hewlett-Packard...'

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
And yet Intel would think that a smaller L1 cache (4K) would be sufficient enough to handle all the operations of a PC. IF I had to use a PC I would have to use P3s, because this issue is non-existant.

I saw this a small comment back THREE YEARS AGO describing that the Pentium 4 is actually slower than the Pentium 3. (I'm being respectful in spelling here because I'm trying to remember what I read a while back, word for word. :)) Maybe the P4 has al these faster chips and more power, but it doesn't help if you can't even get decent sized Caches. :rolleyes:

Oh, and if Intel sees this, disregard this entire post. :p

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
The Pentium 4 just goes to show you how much the whole Wintel industry is fixated mainly on clock speed. The architecture changes seem to do whatever is necessary to make the chips run at higher speeds. So you end up with this thing that uses up a ton of electricity to heat your house, but doesn't do much to efficently run apps.

My Ti800 runs pretty darn fast for me. My previous computer was a 1 GHz P3 desktop running XP, and if anything, OS X seems to run faster than my old machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.