Decided to buy a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier to compliment my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Baumer582, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Baumer582 macrumors member

I'll just cut to the chase:

Pros of the Frontier:
    - A beautiful looking watch. It just feels like a strong, sturdy timepiece. It's exactly what I want in a watch.
    - The rotating bezel is great. It's very natural, and I think Apple probably should have gone that route.
    - Customization. From the ability to use any 22 mmm watch band to the ability to download watch faces. It will always feel like a different watch.
    - You can use it as a remote when you start music or a podcast on your iPhone

Cons
    - App selection. You are limited to only free nonsense, and it is all just that: nonsense
    - Watch faces might be aplenty, but they are mostly garbage.
    - You are limited to just reading and dismissing notifications.
    - No maps

There are plenty of comparisons of the two watches on the interwebs, so I won't keep babbling about it. I think if you are a moderate user of a smartwatch and don't use it for a whole lot other than notifications/news/weather/time at a glance, you won't be too disappointed with the Gear, or really any other non-Apple Watch.

And yes, I was fully aware that I was buying a complimentary piece, not an Apple Watch replacement. But man, you don't realize just how fully featured the Apple Watch is until you use something else. So unless you want an extra watch, don't choose another smartwatch over the Apple Watch.

If Apple ever wises up and allows user watch faces, especially paid ones they could get a cut from, that would be huge... And if they release a bigger, maybe even more rounded version of the Apple Watch... look out.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

On these two points --

I tried an S3 a little bit at a store last week. The bezel and side buttons got me lost a few times -- did it take very long to figure it out once you got yours?

And the bands -- I'm not sure that most people realize they can use any 22mm band on the AW and swap it out more easily than they can swap bands on any other watch. Does the S3 use regular springbars?

3. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

1. It didn't take me long to figure out the bezel. Kind of like the crown on the Apple Watch, it's just playing with it.

2. You can use 22mm bands with the Apple watch, but you need the adapter for it to click into the watch. The Gear S3 takes regular 22mm bands that come with the regular spring bar.

Overall I'm happy with it. I'm definitely glad i didn't get rid of my Apple Watch and use the Gear as a replacement though. With an iPhone that isn't possible.

4. Ixidor macrumors regular

I like how the Gear S3 allows you to reply messages with an on-screen keyboard (does this function work with iPhones?) This works so much better than the Scribble function.

The Gear S3 looks too big on my wrist though. The S2 would be the perfect size and I'm tempted to get one, but I can't justify the price for a one year+ product.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What do you mean by you can't justify the price for a "One year product?" Series 2 was released four months ago and will likely be supported in OS updates for quite some time with an upgraded S2 processor.

Based off your statement, all electronics are "One year" products. They're replaced between 12-18 months. It's the cycle of technology. Regardless when you purchase an Apple Watch or anything technology related, it's already being superseded by the next unreleased iteration.

6. Ixidor macrumors regular

I should've clarified. The S2 Classic and the S3 Classic have the same price tag in Australia despite the S3 being the newer and updated version, if you were to buy them brand new. I like the design of the Classic S2 but both are 598.99 AUD.

I have no idea why the S2 Classic isn't cheaper than the S3 Classic considering that its older, hence I find the price not worth it for a "1+ year product" in this regard.

7. Relentless Power, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't speak for Australian currency. And I also wasn't aware you were referring to the Gear S2 versus the Series 2 Apple Watch. This helped for clarification.

8. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure how this thread got this far off topic...

but to answer your question, the texting on the Gear does NOT work. All notifications are limited to just acknowledging them and then dismissing them.

I think I will end up returning the Frontier... I already have my fancy Omega watch.. If I'm going to wear a smartwatch with my iPhone, it might as well be the one that is made for it. If I were to ever switch to Android though, this watch would be a no brainer.

I doubt Apple will ever release a watch as aesthetically pleasing as the Frontier.... but please baby Jeebus, give us downloadable watch faces a bigger screen. I will be quite pleased once they do that.

9. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

For me, i will be happy if they release a watch face like that on Hermes watches...that makes use of the whole square/rectangle shape.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

What've you got?

I have my dad's old Omega from 1968 and enjoy wearing it when I dress up (and pretend to be "mature"). Because my current workplace won't allow personal electronics at the office, I've been revisiting the idea of getting a nice Omega of my own. I've been eyeballing the new Globemasters and, like anyone who remembers Apollo, the Speedmaster. (also got some other brands in mind, too)

11. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

I forget the model number, but it's the Planet Ocean Seamaster.. the one that Daniel Craig's James Bond wore in Quantum of Solace. it doesn't have the movie wordmark on it, and I'll hang on to that one forever.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    yeah, I feel like the limited implementation of their watch faces is such a downer. The Hermes face is such a nice one. Imagine a customizable Chronograph one like that...

They could definitely get a cut off those faces, just like they now do with messages. I hope it's only a matter of time...

12. Ixidor macrumors regular

Not being able to reply from the Gear feels like a deal-breaker.

I'd love a watch face store (or downloadable watch faces, but this is unlikely) too, but if Apple does release one, they'd just have to find a way retain the exclusivity of the Hermes and Nike watch faces.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't know if this will ever happen or not, but I would like to see Apple open up customizable watch faces to third-party developers. The watch faces they have now are nice, but I feel there are far too limited and it be nice to see a number of watch faces that would suit everybody differently.

14. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

trust me apple watch is actually the best watch apps wise etc

15. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I bought an S3 Frontier last week. Returned it yesterday.

I loved the look of it, but the constant disconnects killed it for me. 2-3 times a day I would have to reconnect. Once I had to reset the watch to get it to reconnect.

I would get one again in a heartbeat if the disconnect problems were fixed, and the ability to reply to messages were there.

16. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

The resetting watch to reconnect has been an issue with S2 for a while now...i guess Samsung has not found a solution!

17. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

If not open it up to 3rd party, at least TWICE as many as a minimum...!

18. gogojuice macrumors member

Well I guess I'm going to have to be different there. Not sure I quiet understand what the original poster was commenting on regarding the texts.

For text you have multiple options to reply,
    1. Hit reply an use the custom or pre picked options. These quick replies also change based on what the content of the text received was. Really slick. You can also customize them.
    2. You can use the keyboard and type in, or just use your finger and type your message. It takes your hand writing and makes it into text. Again.. works well for my writing.
    3. Hit reply and speak into the darn watch. It automatically changes it over to text.

So... three ways.. I found the speak is about 90 % accurate.

Tried them both, and I like the S3. I found there wasn't any reason to get the apple watch yet.

Why.
    Personally I like the style. IMO apple should have gone with a round design. But.. thats preference.

Pros.
    rotating bezel, works like a charm. If you want the launch pad look, just dl the application from the store.
    I find it very easy to use.

Cons.
    Works better with an samsung phone. (you can run without a phone if you want)
    Not as many apps. No question on the number.
    Not sure what you want for apps. S3 has maps, Spotify, email, text etc.. so depends on what you want.

19. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Responding to texts and the existence of Spotify, Maps, and Samsung Pay only exist when you pair your watch with an Android device...

This is a thread about using the Frontier with an iPhone.

I probably should have been more specific, but when I said I attempted to compliment my Apple Watch, I meant that I was using the Frontier with my iPhone.

Unfortunately the watch is very limited on iOS.