Decided to trade up to a refurb 2015 MacBook 12".....and have a couple questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noanker, Apr 20, 2016.

1. noanker macrumors member

noanker

After owning two mid-2011 MacBook Air laptop since 2011, I'm taking the plunge and have ordered from Apple a refurb base MacBook 12" in gold. I also ordered the USB-C Digital AV Multi-port Adapter to allow for charging while using the USB for either a wireless mouse or running Time Machine backups.

My existing MBAs are limited to 64gb SSD and 2mb RAM and the other is 128gb SSD with 4gb RAM. The 64gb/2gb RAM runs El Capitan fairly well but has lately taken to producing choppy performance when typing in Chrome (Gmail). I have to admit both laptops have operated admirably through the years and subsequent OS X upgrades.

What draws me to the MacBook 12" is the increased base storage space and RAM along with the retina display, also the fan-less CPU and extended battery life. The price of the refurb is also appealing and when you factor in the $360 I'll be getting from the sale of the two Airs, I'll be paying about $570 for a 2015 MacBook 12".

I had wanted to wait until my two mid-2011 Airs were either not supported by OS X or simply were unable to run newer OS X releases. But this is really a good deal and wanted to complete my IT overhaul this year having already upgraded to the new 9.7" iPad Pro and iPhone SE.

Couple of questions for the forum:

1. Has anyone had any issues with their MacBook 12" becoming too warm while using it for normal, light activities (e.g. surfing, YouTube, word processing, running Time Machine) ?
    2. Any opinions on build quality and how the speakers sound?

2. Biggie Robs macrumors member

I used one nonstop for the past ten days.

1. Nope. It never got anything but mildly warm.
    2. Sound is way better than a late 2011 MBP. I have no experience with an air.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Never seen it more than mildly warm.

Sound is pretty astonishing for such a small device.

4. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

It really depends on what you are doing but for most light to mild activity it is at most going to get a little warm. I find it behaves similar to my iPad air 2. But for light surfing, iTunes movies etc it can remain pretty cool.

During heavy processing and updates it can get pretty warm but only for short times. It is a fanless design and uses the casing to dissipate heat and not a vent like on the MBA and Pros.

The speakers are real good for the size of the laptop. Good clarity and loudness and no vibration like my iPad air 2 lol

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I've had the 2015 rMB now for a year and it has been great. It has never gotten more than warm (my iPad has gotten hotter).

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sitting in the den with my rMB on my lap, it runs noticeably cooler than my 2011 MBA13 did while under the same usage.

7. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

Here's an echo:

1) Noticeably cooler than any of my four previous MBA 11s. Seldom even anything I would call warm.
    2) Speakers are "astonishingly" better.

I think you will be pleased.

8. noanker thread starter macrumors member

noanker

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Writing this response from my new 2015 MacBook 12" refurb. Ordered on Thursday, April 21st and arrived in the late morning on Friday, April 22nd. It was shipped from California.

Love everything about it so far. Some minor adaptation is required for the new keyboard but love the quality feel of the keyboard and keystrokes. Continually amazed at the difference between CPU temps between my mid-2011 MBA and this one.

From unboxing I was up and running in under a couple of hours with the Time Machine backups and other minor adjustments. Gotta love Apple and the way things "just work" in their ecosystem. This is my sixth Apple Refurb product and I have to admit there is definitely good value in purchasing your devices in this manner.