Deciding between powermac g5 2.0 ghz dp 2gb ram or mac mini c2d 2.0 ghz 2gb ram...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by franciscogchin, Jun 18, 2009.

1. franciscogchin macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have a powermac g4 that I am trying to sell (and actually found someone interested in buying). If I sell it I want to buy a replacement computer for it and I have been looking at these two. I will mainly be using this for school work, internet, and for recording. the replacement computer is going to be my main computer and will be my recording studio computer. I can get a refurb powermac g5 with 2.0 ghz double processor with 2gb of ram for under 550 shipped, or I can get a mac mini core 2 duo with 2.0 ghz and 2gb ram.
    I already have an os x 10.5.4 cd that I can install (I bought it thinking it would work in the powermac g4) so I can install that. and I already know that the g5 will not be upgradable to os 10.6, but I dont think that would be a huge problem for me.
    anyway, thanks in advance for all the replies.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get Mini. PPC Macs aren't supported in future and I think it's quite important when buying a new computer and Mini outperforms PM G5 in every category

3. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

really? Ive heard that the g5 has a better graphics card and the hard drive is faster...thanks for the info.

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

The mini would be a far more prudent investment.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Are you talking about buying a Mac Mini new from Apple? I would definitely take that route, as before just a while ago the mini hadn't been really updated for 2 years.

At any rate, I would buy the Mini. PPC is done and gone with Snow Leopard, and the Mini will be faster than the G5 in every aspect except hard drive and possibly graphics depending on which card you decide to put in the G5 (not like you have many options). The hard drive can be pretty much remedied by putting a 7200rpm hard drive in, however.

6. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

+1

7. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats what I meant, buy a mac mini from apple..dang I guess Ill just buy the mini. the g5 looks so cool and powerfull, lol, and the mini looks so small and week.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

if you get the mini it will last several max os upgrades in the next few years... if you get the g5 you cant go past leopard ever, the mini can also dual boot windows, the g5 cant... finally if you are planning on using graphic intensive apps... the g5 may be nice but your future graphics card options are pretty grim as well... id 100% say get the mini... get the base model.. max our the ram yourself for much cheaper.. and then perform a HDD swap yourself for a much larger one...

9. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so say I max the ram on both, the mini at 4gb and the g5 at 8gb, will the mini still be better over all? still faster?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. Amount of RAM doesn't help if it's much slower and you are not using over 4GB.

Just believe me, PPC Macs are much slower than any new Intel Mac. It may look good on paper but GHz and amount of RAM isn't everything

11. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks. also I dont want the warranty to end by upgrading the ram, so do you think its worth buyin the mac mini 2.0 with 4 gigs for 750 shipped? the taxes are like 50 bucks...or should I put 2 gigs?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Changing RAM or HD doesn't void your warranty so buy 4GB from Crucial if you find your Mac slow

NEVER BUY RAM FROM APPLE!

13. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks to everyone...for now Im just going to upgrade the ram for my hp notebook (I already bought the ram its just a matter of when it gets here) and if I sell the g4 then Ill buy the mac mini.

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I bought the extra 2GB RAM for my uMB from Apple and I'm quite happy that I did.