Deciding on which MBP to buy, 13" or 15" retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jg216, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jg216 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am going to be attending college in the fall as a freshmen studying computer science. I plan to spend the summer coding and developing apps. I also do some video editing here and there. Which laptop do you think would better suit me? The higher end 13" MBP or the RMPB 15"? (assuming money is not an issue).

As of now my thoughts are that yes the retina macbook is extraordinary, but it simply might be to much. I feel the 13" would be much more portable. Is this valid, or is the 15" not much more a difference? I just need some advice, thanks!

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wait. You want us to assume money shouldn't be an issue, yet you then say the Retina MBP is maybe too much?

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 15" Retina Macbook Pro actually weighs slightly less than the 13" Macbook Pro.

If money is no object definitely go with the 15" Retina. It is much more powerful and should be just as portable.

The 13" Macbook Pro only has a dual core processor and integrated graphics. It also has a fairly low resolution screen even by non-retina notebook standards.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for college, the 13 would be more than capable performance wise. Anything more would be to satisfy any wants you have imo

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Get them both. Problem solved.

6. jg216 thread starter macrumors newbie

by money not being an issue, all i meant was that i am lucky enough to have the opportunity to choose one because i am paying very little tuition. i have had a 13" laptop for 5 years. Going into college, i still want to have the portability and comfort of a small laptop. Even though the RMBP is 15" will the weight and thinness still make it feel portable to me?

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I've had a 13" MBP for 4 years and as much as I love the overall size and weight. I hate the screen real estate. The new retina is 15" and is thinner and weighs less than the current 13" MBP. For me it's just as portable now with a bigger screen size. Obviously it will take up a little for work space, but the 15" is well worth it.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't see why not. Go for it.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Definitely check them out in store to make sure. I carried my 13" aluminum Macbook around in my backpack every day with no problems, and the 15" Retina actually weighs a tiny bit less.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Even though it's thinner, and weighs less, the 15" still has "bulk". Many will disagree but honestly, I think that's a problem in a classroom/campus environment when you're constantly packing/unpacking and moving around people.

Since you're already accustomed to a 13" display, I'd seriously stick with that size and apply the savings to a really nice external monitor you can use when you're desk bound. For the same price as the new Retina 15" you can get a new 13" MBP + a 27" Thunderbolt display. And unlike the new Retina, the 13" macbook RAM/Drive is user upgradeable whenever your budget allows.

11. avalys macrumors 6502

I studied computer science at MIT from 2004-2008. I originally had a 15" PowerBook G4 and then a 15" MacBook Pro.

You want the 15" retina MBP. As a computer scientist you will appreciate the ability to run it at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 equivalent resolution wherever you are. Just get a backpack and you'll never notice the size or weight.

Don't get the 13". The 1280x800 resolution is just abysmal for serious work. It's really rather pathetic that Apple hasnt at least upgraded the screen in 13" Pro to the 1440x900 screen in the Air. You will find yourself buying an external monitor for it - but in college you will spend time working in unused lecture halls, libraries, in other people's dorm rooms, etc. and you want a computer with a large-enough screen at high-enough resolution to actually get serious work done when you are away from your desk, without an external monitor.

If you want to save some money, get the 15" old MBP with the 1680x1050 BTO option. But that's stupid. Just get the 15" retina.

If you really want a 13" thing for ultra-portability, get the 13" Air. The 13" Pro is the worst product in Apple's lineup at the moment.