Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
It's definitely time for me to get a new machine as my G3 pismo powerbook has hit the Final Cut Pro 4 wall.

I'm torn between getting the 15 inch powerbook G4 (5400HD) and the G5 dual 1.8 with 17" monitor.

My needs are as follows:
I do some video editing, using FCP though it's not the main use of my computer, I will hopefully be doing more of this and need the capability, some graphics using photoshop, etc., Other than that, just the basics.

I need mobility somewhat, though I'm not constantly "on the road" doing video stuff. the mobility factor is more for email, DJing/music, writing.

I do want something pretty powerful as I tend to keep machines for a while, so the "you're buying beyond your needs, save the money and get an iBook..." doesn't really apply, plus I've set aside the $ to put into the thing, and the PB 15 and the G5 are pretty much exactly the same amount.

I'm currently leaning toward getting the G5 and putting a bigger faster (7200) HD in my G3 and keeping it around for the mobility factor.
Though the g4 15" can certainly cover all my needs in one, and it's been so long since I've had a desktop machine.

I can wait a few weeks for price drops, but I really cant' wait til summer-or-maybe-christmas for mysterious G5 powerbooks and I wouldn't buy the first generation of them anyway, I'm sure they'll have bugs and be crazy expensive.
So any advice would be most appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out over this: g5 dual 1.8 or pb 15?
thanks!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
since you already got a laptop and your mobile needs are not so great, i'd go with the G5.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think you're much better off with the dual 1.8. It's very nearly as fast as the dual-2, and it uses to latest generation of processor. The PowerBook will, sooner or later, be a generation behind (some say next week, some say next year) and you already have, as you say, a laptop.

The PowerBook is great, fun, sexy, and useful. But it is a slow pathetic pig compared to a twin-processor G5. I mean, it will get completely spanked - and the SATA interface drives will be faster than the PB's, even if you hack the PB with an updated HD.

Buy the G5. Just note that it weighs as much as a small asteroid, and that dropping it from any height whatsoever is capable of producing an Extinction Level Event. Seriously, it's massively heavy, and the aluminum case "handles" are not comfortable!

But, man, is it fast. And that whole 8GB RAM max is very nice as well.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
thanks for the advice...where is best to buy from?

yeah, that's what I was thinking...I do like pretty toys though :rolleyes:

My next question is, where is the cheapest and best place to buy it? I assume by mail would be the best way, since I am going to have them install the ram upgrade etc. plus most places offer various free shipping/no tax deals.
So:
Directly from Apple?
Mac Mall?
Amazon?
Does anyone know of a better place?
I guess buying it at the apple store is a bad idea?

Now just to wait a week or so to see if this alleged upgrades to the g5 and monitors materializes... Hopefully price drops on dual 1.8 and 17 inch monitors will be significant.

Alex AMG

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Minneapolis
There are also a bunch of legit Apple retailers on ebay. You win the auction and they place an order with Apple at their cost and the computer ships to your door. Just watch out for the feedback and make sure the seller IS, in fact, an authorized reseller.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes the PM is much much faster, but someone who's only machine is a 12" PB, I can tell you that I would definitely not want to go back to a desktop, unless it were as a second machine; it just seems to limiting after the freedom of a portable.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Definitely get the Dual 1.8. Im somewhat angry with myself for buying this Powerbook instead of waiting a few more months for a G5, since now this lowly Powerbook can hardly keep up with my video encoding (it sometimes takes 12 hours to encode a DVD).

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
since your getting a monitor anyways... why dont you buy right from apple and take advantage of the "brilliant savings" offer... i realize its an extra cash layout... but since you keep your machines around for a while and do some video editing the extra screen real estate will come in handy... if you want to get apple care then too... itll cover both the display and the tower so long as you buy on the same reciept...

just my 2 cents...

and i love pretty toys very much [have a 15" tibook] but it really is no contest between the dual g5 and even the 15" albook [which is a dead sexy machine]...

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
g5 it is

Thanks for dispelling my last few concerns about laptop vs. desktop, and the dual 1.8 does seem like a good deal -- I think it's worth it to move up now since whatever I get I'll be keeping around for a while.

Another question: Does the g5 PM actually not have the wireless card installed as standard, you have to buy it? Also the bluetooth module? I think that's the case, anyone know?
Sucks to have to spend that much on a hi end machine and then have to spend more for those little things.

I'm going to wait one more week (because I do think if there are any price drops they will definitely be on the 1.8 and 2 gig duals b/c they'll bring out the faster ones, no? Also if there are new monitors, same thing.) I'm sure the price drops will happen as soon as I buy it, as always. :rolleyes:

I guess i'll order it from apple because I can get the wireless kbd and mouse etc. all at once.

As far as the monitor/"brilliant savings" thing, I think I'm just going to go with the 17 inch (the 23 is just way to big, and the 20 is only $100 savings). I'd rather save the 600 bucks and put it into a big external drive and a speedy new 7200 internal drive for my G3 pismo (or Lombard, I don't even know which-- it's from 2000, 400mhz, 6 gig HD) -- this arrives today! hope I can install it without blowing up my laptop.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
furrina said:
Thanks for dispelling my last few concerns about laptop vs. desktop, and the dual 1.8 does seem like a good deal -- I think it's worth it to move up now since whatever I get I'll be keeping around for a while.

Good choice - although I don't think you could truly have gone wrong with either choice...

furrina said:
Another question: Does the g5 PM actually not have the wireless card installed as standard, you have to buy it? Also the bluetooth module? I think that's the case, anyone know?

Neither come standard. However, you can always add the Airport card yourself (save $$ and buy a refurb - you'll never see it anyway). BUT...get the internal Bluetooth if you're buying BTO (I bought mine in an Apple Store and so couldn't). It's better than using the dongle and worth the $50.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
furrina said:
Sucks to have to spend that much on a hi end machine and then have to spend more for those little things.

both wireless card and BT modules are optional. you have to buy it separately.

i don't think it's a big deal, prices would be even higher if they were included. and some people don't want them... according to apple, what you are paying is for the high end machine. other things are optional, it doesn't matter how much you are paying. would you expect a monitor to be included if you paid $10,000 for a $10,000 server just because you are paying "so much"?

i get your sentiment, it's always nice to get things for "free"... ;)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
buy the G5 then when you have 300 or so after that get a G4 550 upgrade for the pismo. I think thats a good action plan.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
blue&whiteman said:
buy the G5 then when you have 300 or so after that get a G4 550 upgrade for the pismo. I think thats a good action plan.
As a Pismo owner, I second this (along with the 7200rpm HD). I have the G3 900 upgrade, and it is a toss-up between that and the G4 550...either way, good way to extend life...the 7200 HD made a huge difference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.