Decisions: iPad 2 16g $499 or Xoom wifi $539?? **Pics added**

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Gix1k, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Basically.....DAMMIT! I was totally ready to get a white iPad 2 16g in white with a blue smart cover. Then I see that Sam's Club is selling the wifi only Xoom for $539. Granted it's thicker and heavier, it's 32gb with up to 32gb expandable (64gb). Also, I realize there aren't many Honeycomb apps, but I am sure they are coming. I just want to but a device I can sit on couch and use for 4 hrs and not get tired of holding it and it offers everything I need. On the flip side, I HATE apple's locked down, must use iTunes crap!!!!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

The decision rests with you and which you prefer.

IMHO, apps are key unless all of your usage is fulfilled by what already exists. You can't use something today that's coming in the future. :D

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'd suggest the iPad for several reasons. First, the specs on the Xoom won't matter as much as you think they will, but the OS will certainly make a big difference. iOS has a lot more apps, a lot more harmony with the Apple tablet than can be said of Android and the 3rd parties that create tablets for it. Secondly, you can always jailbreak your iPad. It's NOT locked down if you do this. There's even an app that'll let you play flash video in a web browser that's been approved by Apple!

Next, space really won't be that big of a deal unless you make it one. I use my iPhone religiously, similar to the way many people use an iPad, and 32gb is HUGE, something I still can't fill up (I only put recent playlists on it though, so that might be a big thing). Believe me if you care about space, get the 32gb one and forget it, or 16gb for 100 less and just take off apps you don't use that take up a large amount of space.

The iPad will be the device you're speaking of,with most everything you need on it. If you need more than what an iPad can do, you probably need a full computer anyway.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

So the only logical step above an iPad is a computer? No offense, but all your reasoning sounds more like justification for why settling for "good enough" makes sense. But what happens when the next iPad adds more functionality or gives a true tablet UI with improved notifications, more memory, at-a-glance homepage info or widgets? Is that considered excessive?

I'm buying 2 iPads next week because I'm entrenched too deeply in the Apple ecosystem to switch out. But that doesnt mean the alternative devices aren't impressive or even superior in certain aspects.

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

Or an like new refurb iPad from Apple for $349.

I'd rather be locked down in paradise than free to roam in ...

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I'd say go for the Xoom first because I believe Sam's club has a great return policy. Wait, am I encouraging a behavior that'll hurt others? Ah what the heck, just buy the Xoom and try it out first. ;)

7. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Personally, app availability is huge for me. For tablets, content is the primary battlefield. Right now, iPad 2 has 65,000 troops amassed on the border of Xoom-ville, whose population is 100. Of course, we all know more apps will be coming for Xoom. But when, if ever, will we see quality apps like Infinity Blade, iMovie, Garageband, etc. on Xoom? If all you want to do is play Angry Birds, then the Xoom will be fine. However, it will take years for Xoom to catch up app-wise to where the iPad is today. And, I'm not just talking about quantity of apps, but quality as well.

8. Davichi macrumors 6502

Go with xoom. It has 100 apps. But, I am sure it will play flash someday.

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

What are you doing with your tablet?

Many people yap-yap-yap about the appstore, but the truth of the matter is that your tablet is for web browsing and looking at photos 95% of the time because tablets are HORRIBLE devices for productivity.

I say wait. As nice as tablets are, they are still not as useful as laptops. I would wait until the price point hits $300.

So basically, get a used Galaxy Tab or used iPad 1

10. Justinm59 macrumors regular

Besides all the apps another reason I decided on the iPad is there probably won't be another one until next year. With android tablets there will be new better one coming out every few months (or more frequently). With the the iPad I'll feel like I have the newest thing for a year where as I may start getting jealous of other android tablets a month or two after buying a xoom. I know its silly, and its not my main reason, but being satisfied with my purchase is a big plus for me.

11. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Actually, yeah, the next step above iPad is a computer. Smartphone -> Tablet -> computer. Portability? Laptop.

Settling for "good enough" is what everyone does that buys technology; sure there will be something better in a few months... always. Also, iPads will have at least 1 OS update, so that'll help their lifespan, but I'm really sad that Apple will likely go with the smartphone update table with the iPad. I like the fact that I had my last MacBook for 4 years before I had to upgrade.

12. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Without it impacting battery-life ;-)

13. perplex macrumors regular

Go with the Xoom. Walk into a room full of iPad people.

Call yourself the 100 app hipster

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

The choice is yours 100 apps vs 65,000 apps. Pick one.

15. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I will be using this thing as a 'couch tab'. I had the Galaxy Tab and I literally took it everywhere I went. I put it in my coat pocket, had it tethered to my EVO and used it when I was in stores, etc. Once I decided to get a 9.7" > screen, I realized that portability is gone out the window w/out coming up with a way to take it with me places. This is one reason I started NOT to get one because when I am at home, I much rather grab my laptop and use it. Then after seeing how quick it is to grab it, hit a webpage made me want another one. So at this point, it's really about apps and size. Even with my 7" Tab, the apps scaled like they do on my EVO. It was annoying. The 16gb really isn't that much of an issue either. Of all the iPhones I had, I only bought 16gb. I just had to remove things that weren't getting use and add what was. I was able to manage the size w/out need for more.

16. epi117 macrumors 6502

the quality and quantity of apps are what made my decision to drop the few android devices i have tried in favor of ipad. ditto ease of use.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's like walking into a room of healthy people and calling yourself a syphilis hipster. :D

18. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

You are like me. On one hand I'm WOW'ed by the Xoom specs. 1 GB ram, Flash, much higher specs for there camera, flash, and a slight higher resolution. I really would like flash to watch videos on the go when I want instead of waiting when I get home. I would also like to see how honeycomb for tablets works.

On the other hand with the iPad, I love the amount of apps that are available and supported and will be for the immediate future. I figure by the time developers actually figure out how to utilize the specs and create on there, then it will be time for a new round of tablets.

I'm afraid that android will start new updates in the future and then this tablet gets forgotten. It is somewhat buggy due to being new so an update is going to be needed.

I plan to purchase and play with both the iPad 2 and Xoomfor a week to see which one I like the most (I have used an original ipad from various people for a while now) then return the one I didn't choose. I need to see if I am going to use the hardware more or the software more. I have absolutely no need for 3G service (wireless tethering).

It's a confusing time due to everyone wanting to jump into the market all at once based off of apples success. Some will take a serious jab because the market is so open. Others will just do it to say YEAH WE GOT ONE TOO. WERE RELEVANT AND HIP!!!

I say write a list and rank the hardware specs from not needed (1) to needed most (10). Also find out what software will be available that uses the accessories on the tablets. Finally find out if there is any software that is must have that the competition doesn't offer.

19. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Sounds you like you need a laptop (and a hobby). I wouldn't want to hold either one for 4 hours.

20. Justin Luck macrumors regular

21. PhoneI macrumors 65816

After using the XOOM for a few days, all I can say is that I cant wait for the iPad 2.

I would buy an iPad 1 over a XOOM.

22. Gix1k, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011

Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It was a random time given as an example.

I hate comments like this........WHY???????

23. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Let's not forget that the Sam's Club pricing on the XOOM is based upon a single photo running around the Android rumor sites. A hands on test of both is probably the best way to determine the relative dollar value for each tablet. Certainly the OP can wait a week or two and check out both first hand....

24. brewno macrumors 6502

I'd go with Apple - it always updates it's software, polished and perfect. It has a lot of apps, things Xoom won't have. I really doubt the Xoom will have as many updates as the iPad. And, think about resale value. I sold my iPad for basically the same price as new. Could you do that to your Xoom? I bet not.

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You say you want to sit on the couch and use it for 4 hours, but exactly do you want to do with it? iPad has more apps available but it is possible that the Xoom has the ones you want.

If you don't want to get tired of holding it iPad is probably better since it's thinner and lighter.

As for iTunes, why exactly don't you like it? I understand you not wanting to be locked down but at the same time I think the convenience makes it worth it. You have one app to sync everything you need to your iPad, no need to go find all the stuff you need around your computer. And if you really don't want to use it a lot you don't really need to. Just activate your iPad, sync the stuff you need and forget about it. You can download new music and apps right from your iPad.