Decline in society, not NRA, responsible for gun deaths

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 14, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...omen-voters-myword-051416-20160513-story.html
    society is in a way in the dumps.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

rattle rattle boo hoo sounds like a right wing family values piece. Jkcerda your getting desperate. you need to work on
    your clothing
    i-dont-think-it-works-like-that-40-photos-31.jpg

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nice compensator but it's not safe to carry a gun w/o a trigger guard my friend

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Pity there's "no such thing as society", as neoliberals like Thatcher and Reagan pointed out.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

71% of black babies born out of wedlock wtf??

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Yeah,disagree with that part of the article .

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

most of it sounds like going to church in a conservative part of town.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well despite your doom and gloom attitude, deaths from gun violence have been dropping for decades, something your article simply ignores......and that drop is especially true here in California where we have strong gun control laws;

link

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

People who decry the "decline in society" are usually moral scolds looking to blame some aspect of society they find objectionable—out-of-wedlock birth rates, divorce rates, etc.

One note about the statistic regarding the number of black children born out of wedlock. The OS piece notes these families as "fatherless family units," but the statistic he's referring only tracks the number of "marital births" compiled through birth certificates.

In other words, the father could be supporting the family, but he's not reflected on the birth certificate.

It's an interesting statistic, but the author takes it too far to argue that this means that 71 percent of families are made of unwed mothers.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

About Chicago:

Violence is occurring at levels unseen for years. In the first quarter of 2016, 141 people were killed, up from 82 last year, according to police department data. The number of shootings surged to 677 from 359 a year earlier. The city is on track to have more than 500 killings this year, which would make this just the third year since 2004 that Chicago topped that figure.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

How are the numbers In Detroit or Chicago?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you are a father and aren't there to be put on the birth certificate you better either be deployed or in some life threatening situation, otherwise, I think it's safe to assume you either aren't married or soon won't be married.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Especially when the mom's school age and a kid herself.

15. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Another opinion piece based on what exactly, no facts? Yep, good luck with that one. Society for the most part is good, spin merchants and propaganda organizations like the NRA on the otherhand are society's cancers and are responsible for many avoidable deaths from guns.
    Now skedaddle, go back to reading literary dregs.

16. Macky-Mac, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

about Chicago - from wikipedia, here's a chart showing annual homicides in Chicago over time. As it clearly shows, murders are currently lower than 20 years ago.....despite the current spike you mention

[​IMG]

for Chicago, see above ....I'm going out to dinner so I'm not going to spend the time hunting for one specific to Detroit.......but here's a chart showing the national trend (report below from Pew Research)

[​IMG]

(maybe it's just YOUR neighborhood that's gone bad :p )

17. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

And here I thought it was 70%. Thank you oh wise enlightened opinion piece. :eek:
    This kind of s--- shouldn't be entertained by the forums. There's free speech and then there's absolute stupidity. Close this thread, mods.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"boohoo, life today isn't like what I saw on Leave it to Beaver."

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it wasn't then either moths little helper and all. but hey back then you could beat your children or rape your wife without getting in trouble for it so there is that.

20. APlotdevice, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

My father is on my birth certificate. He was never part of my life.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2016 ---
    Exactly. This glorious utopia where family life was always happy and carefree that so many conservatives seem to believe in is nothing but a Hollywood fantasy.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Same here

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yep my dad was strange so my mom married another late and we moved a lot. poor as all get out and I did not know not to get adopted by him.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

Some big differences to compare here, which I'm sure you'll blow off somehow.
    - An entire state vs. a city proper. In Chicago, you can just drive a few minutes outside of town and hit the gun store.
    - Chicago and Illinois probably don't have near the hardware restrictions that California does.

But what is oddly noted, is that according to ZombieAcorn, shootings and deaths in Chicago have gone way up this year. And less than two years after concealed carry permits began to be issued in that state? SO WEIRD!! Concealed carry allowed, and shootings and deaths go up! Must be all that self defense going on!

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

How many permits have actually been issued?
    In Chicago. Just like many other cities it's mostly thugs taking each other out.