Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by anjinha, Oct 1, 2010.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Full article here

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Very interesting article and I am not surprised in the least. I really hope this opens up some eyes on the matter, but I won't hold my breath.

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Our problem is, far too many are employed in the government for the express purpose of the War on Drugs. I doubt they will give up their golden goose.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The same argument is made in any area where we could save big, big bucks. We won't wake up until it's too late.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They have only decriminalised the laws regarding possession of drugs.

It's still illegal to import or deal drugs so why would you need to break up the Government agencies?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Because it's a huge waste of money and we lost the war a long time ago.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I wouldn't be surprised if such agencies saw it as the "thin edge of the wedge".

The primary problem however is the lack of public support on the issue, politicians win elections by being "tough on drugs", logic doesn't come in to it.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The marajuana of legislation, or perhaps a gate-way law?? ;)

Punishing the "victims" of drugs proves nothing. Get them to turn over on their suppliers, and go after them, and those above.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not surprised by this outcome. I am looking forward to the marijuana vote here in CA in hopes that it bears fruit and helps realization of the benefits spread throughout the US.

10. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I'm not surprised at all. But I would be suprised if the law makers ever actually paid attention to Portugal's example. Too many jobs on the line.

11. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Plus nobody cares about Portugal. :p

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I know where I'll take my next drugs holiday! :D

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my view is users and abusers of drugs should be required to do mandatory drug therapy. Do not attend then they are required to go to a place where they lock you up do to the therapy.

Dealers and producers should go to jail and be locked up.

That way you are attacking the system in 2 ways. First you working on killing the demand by cleaning up the users so they no longer want to use the drugs and 2nd you are taking away the suppliers.

Right now the current system does not really kill the demand use. It just goes after supply side. It needs to target both. My understand from what I read here is Portugal split it so users are required to go to treatment but it is still illegal to sell and produce so they will still go after those with criminal charges.

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This assumes all drug use is bad. Marijuana users can lively happy functional lives with no ill effect on their daily lives as a result of their habit. Moreover, forcing drug therapy on anyone is a little big brother, don't you think?

15. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

That is impossible. There will always be a demand for drugs.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

take your pick. Lock them up or require drug therapy for the abusers.

The treatment has proven to be more effective and cheaper in the long run.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While true you can always reduce it. Just like their will always be the common cold or the flu so why should we bother combating it.

That is result of your logic.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I cut your sentence off at "habit", because for some, only marijuana can relieve their chronic pain, or give them back their appetite to better fight the effects of chemo therapy for Cancer.

The government is so worried about kids becoming "unproductive" because of pot, that they throw out the baby with the bath-water.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not a fan of the stuff, myself. I guess I just never saw the point. Life, in my opinion, was meant to be enjoyed while lucid.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, Arnie just decriminalized the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana. In the US, it's going to be baby steps, not all of a sudden like in Portugal.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I dunno man, I can't believe you can go around being an OU fan and not be high on something... :p