Deep In The Heart Of Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) Today, July 7th made a scathing report on Greg Abbott, Attorney General running for Texas Governor, the Koch Brothers who own a large ammonia nitrate storage facility, who funneled campaign contributions to Mr Abbot, who after a West Texas town blew up, decided that the proper course of action was to remove the previously public record list of dangerous chemicals and make that list privileged information from the citizens of Texas. That was the solution for a town blowing up. She also profiled another ammonia nitrate storage facility in another town, in a wooden building, without a sprinkler system that has had significant fires near it.

When asked about this privileged info, Mr Abbott suggested that interested individuals can drive around and when they see something that looks like chemical storage, they can simply ask the owners of the facility who will gladly voluntarily to give you the information... Right.

Of note, unlike Faux News, you may hate Rachel Maddow, but one thing she does not do like Faux News is fabricate information.

This is an example why money in elections is BAD. These kinds of shenanigans demean the reputation of the State and its citizens, besides protecting Agro Companies and endangering the public by keeping information they (the public) have every right to know secret. This is one of the reasons if you live in Texas you should vote for Wendy Davis in Nov.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The irony is that if someone were planning some kind of attack, it seems likely that they would drive around and locate facilities that have dangerous chemicals, and those companies would be required to divulge what they have – so, now the state cannot even reliably determine who is trying to find facilities with dangerous chemicals in order to possibly keep an eye on them as a potential threat.

Talk about bullets to the feet.

4. Huntn, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

How about a comment on the substance of this post?

They need to make drastic changes to zoning laws. Both of the facilities were/are located in the middle of towns, with schools backed up to them not out in the sticks. But none of that was suggested by any significant Texas politician that I am aware of. And from a security stand point, they need to be secure, nor located in ramshackle Storage facilities.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So rather than a formal request through the public information office of the state, Abbot wants people to just drive around and ask the company? Imagine, for a moment, what an evil-doer would do? Submit a formal open records request, complete with their contact information or just drive around and ask?

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

If this material is a security concern, more has to be done than stop publishing the chemical location list. If he is serious, this is the reason for privatizing the info, does Mr Abbott really thinks this is all that has to be done to secure this material? It's half assed. These storage areas must secured, with fences, surveillance, and active security. Think of it as nuclear material. Secondly zoning laws must be overhauled and these storage areas must be moved out of populated areas. After that is done, then you could justify not publishing the list. Until them, citizens have a basic right to know if they are living next to a giant bomb.

As a response to a town blowing up, in itself, privatizing the chemical location list is ridiculous and woefully inadequate.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Might want to keep an eye out for ammonia nitrate that may be traveling through Your Town, USA, in covered hopper cars, on various rail lines throughout the country, as well.

[​IMG]
    Covered hopper cars on a siding leading to ammonium nitrate storage silos and discharge area.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We can't tell your bias...

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You are saying this story has no merit? What is being misrepresented?

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What I'm saying is that you are so biased that you can't even call the network by its name. Fox News could broadcast world peace and you'd automatically denounce it because you can't get past that it is on Fox. Just as I watch many in here call Republicans, Repukes and TEA Party members, Tea Baggers. The Speaker of the house, called John Boner. The hatred is blatantly obvious and shows in every thread.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Why don't we try sticking to the topic at hand?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hey look over here at who's talking about bias.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The irony is also blatantly obvious.

Regarding the OP, this is so ridiculous it's hard to believe that it's true. But, in Texas, the crazier it is, the more likely it is to be true.

And the unfortunate part is that people will vote for this joker and he'll probably be our next governor. I've been an active participant in campaigning for Wendy Davis and while I think she's doing a hell of a job, she has a long way to go.

Everyone send money!! :D

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You need to reevaluate your definition of hate. In the terms of PRSI hate = disdain. Yes the disdain is blatantly obvious and you've spread you fair share of it.

With this display of righteous indignation, please stop acting like you are the only reasonable participant in this forum. Hopefully you don't claim to be neutral. I'd have to slap you down. :p I could produce a list of things you hate, topped by President Obama.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We can start with Democrats.

And we also have pot smokers, unemployed people and those who dare to speak out against the police. Have I omitted any other group? Oh yeah, Hillary, we can't forget Hillary.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Complicated. The term is "complicated".

And good drivers.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, ironic, isn't it?

But the big difference is that I freely admit that I'm a Complicated Republican and don't have a high regard for Democrats. Others in here feel that they can be objective and not bias, yet we see "Faux News", "Repukes" and "Tea Baggers". Kind of throws objectivity out the window.

I'm sure that President Obama is a nice guy. I just wouldn't agree with many of his political ideas. I don't hate him. I actually think that he's done more to help advance Republicans than anyone could have hoped for...

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What's sad is that a group of white people are so threatened by a black man in the Presidency. Oh, I'm sure racism plays no part in this, it's just he is a Muslim foreigner promoting anti-American policies. :rolleyes:

As far as nicknames, their meaning is all held in the eyes of the beholder. Think of the Redskins. Does it really make a difference to you, are my points neutralized, if I rag on Fox News or Faux News? It makes no difference. You'll ignore, discount, or counter them no matter what I call that suedo news organization.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wish I could say differently, but over the past six years or so, the Republican party in particular, and conservatives in general, have done an awful lot to earn that hatred.

Its hard to know where to begin - although I'd rank Rep. Joe Wilson's "You lie!" shout during President Obama's 2009 address to both houses of Congress as a good starting point. To me, at least, it marked the beginning of an ugly, disrespectful, and borderline-traitorous period where Republicans attempt to paint any action by our duly elected President as criminal.

I don't like hate. I really wish there could be a measure of cooperation, of good faith discussion, of loyal opposition working in the interests of all Americans.

I'm very sorry, SD: But your side has pissed in the soup.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Hey, he's a Muslim from Kenya AND a black-liberation Christian!

Get your facts straight! ;)

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Darn those Chrislamists.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

And an Atheist, you forgot about that.

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

... who pirated the American Presidency.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

C'mon, even people outside of the US know that Fox is pretty much reality-tv news :rolleyes: