"Deep Throat"'s identity revealed?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
May 31, 2005 -- *After more than 30 years of silence, the most famous anonymous source in American history, Deep Throat, has identified himself to a reporter at Vanity Fair.

W. Mark Felt, 91, an assistant director at the FBI in the 1970s, has told reporter John D. O'Connor that he is "the man known as Deep Throat."
Link

Now all that remains is for Woodward to confirm that this is true.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
"Deep Throat" Steps from the shadows

Linkypooh

NEW YORK (AP) -- A former FBI official says he was the source called "Deep Throat" who leaked secrets about President Nixon's Watergate coverup to The Washington Post, Vanity Fair reported Tuesday.

W. Mark Felt, 91, who was second-in-command at the FBI in the early 1970s, kept the secret even from his family until 2002, when he confided to a friend that he had been Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's source, the magazine said.

"I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat," he told lawyer John D. O'Connor, the author of the Vanity Fair article, the magazine said in a press release.

Felt was initially adamant about remaining silent on the subject, thinking disclosures about his past somehow dishonorable.
Well this is good to know. Glad I lived long enough. :p

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
looks like a popular day for such things.

link

Bane of Companies, PETA Spy Reveals Self

TRENTON, N.J. - Lisa Leitten is finished living her double life. For the past three years, the soft-spoken, 30-year old moved from Missouri to Texas to Virginia, applying for jobs at businesses dealing with animals. She gave her real name, and some real details about herself: a master's degree in animal psychology and prior work at a primate sanctuary in Florida.

What she didn't reveal was that she was also working for an animal welfare organization, and that she wore a hidden camera to document instances in which animals were treated with what she calls horrific neglect and cruelty.

Leitten called her last assignment for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals her most wrenching: nine months in a Virginia lab owned by Princeton, N.J.-based biomedical firm Covance Co. There, she says, monkeys were denied medical care and abused by technicians. The company denies the claims, says it treats the animals properly and has accused Leitten of illegally working under cover.

(more)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
what's funny is that i had always suspected that it was Mr. Felt about whom Carly Simon was singing.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
ham_man said:
Guess we will not really know until then...
If it is Felt (and he's not just saying this for the publicity), what would be the harm in Woodward and Bernstein confirming it now that the subject himself has revealed it?

Of course, at 99, we may not have to wait long anyway. ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thomas Veil said:
Of course, at 99, we may not have to wait long anyway. ;)
He's a mere 91. But it is interesting that media principals still aren't willing to confirm or deny when in theory the source they've been protecting doesn't want protection anymore.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
IJ Reilly said:
He's a mere 91. But it is interesting that media principals still aren't willing to confirm or deny when in theory the source they've been protecting doesn't want protection anymore.
Simple $$$$.

If Woodward and Bernstein keep to their guns and will not reveal the answer until Deep Throat dies then they can sell more copies of their inevitable book when it comes out. If they confirm that Felt is Deep Throat now then they loose a lot of book revenue and will have to compete with the inevitable book from the Felt family. This way the Felt's can profit from their book deal (although they would stand to profit more in the short term if W & B would confirm), and W & B can profit as well, (with a probable corresponding boost for the Felt book that could offset/exceed what they lost by being 'unconfirmed' for a few years).

At least the Felt family is honest that they convinced Mark Felt to come forward so they could cash in on some of the mystery surrounding Deep Throat.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

Former F.B.I. Official Revealed in Magazine Interview

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) -- The Washington Post said Tuesday that a former FBI official, W. Mark Felt, was the confidential source known as "Deep Throat" who provided the newspaper information that led to President Nixon's impeachment investigation and eventual resignation.

[...]

Woodward, who had visited with Felt as recently as 1999, refused to confirm or deny, even to the man's family, that Felt was his source, and wondered whether Felt was mentally competent to decide whether to go public after all these years, the magazine reported.
am i reading right that the Post confirmed it without Woodward doing so?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
link

requires registration, had to hit bugmenot.com

In a statement today, Woodward and Bernstein said, "W. Mark Felt was 'Deep Throat' and helped us immeasurably in our Watergate coverage. However, as the record shows, many other sources and officials assisted us and other reporters for the hundreds of stories that were written in The Washington Post about Watergate."

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
this year i read woodward and bernstein's all the president's men and nixon:the final days and i thought i would have to wait some years before i found out how the whole story ended up...it wasn't complete without an identification of deep throat

so when i found out this morning, i was very relieved and excited

woodward and bernstein did mention earlier this year to larry king on cnn that it was someone who would be seen as an obvious source and now that the source, then the #2 man in the fbi, came out, it all now makes perfect sense

nixon could have had a great presidential legacy but his resignation, made possible by deep throat, changed history

anybody who is too young to remember the watergate story should read the book or at least rent the movie

iran-contra gate or monica gate pale in comparison to watergate

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Actually, Nixon's resignation was made possible by his criminality, first and foremost. His "legacy" might have remained intact had he not been caught in the act, but only because we might not have found out about his dirty trickery, and not because he hadn't abused the law and violated his oath of office.