Deer vs SUV (lots of gore)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
jadam said:
Beware lots and lots of deer gore
Man you weren't joking! :eek: ewwww, that is so horrifying my mouth just dropped. Can a deer (or two, three?) cause that much damage and gore? :eek: < That smilie is exactly how I am right now, not jk. How the HECK did the "parts" get in the back of the car?!

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Call me skeptical... but do we really know for sure that this is for real?

Looks to me like if you add up all of the body parts, blood, and guts you would have enough for a herd of deer.

Can't imagine why anyone would stage such a thing (and doesn't lend itself to Photoshop), but really, that's just too bizarre.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hoef said:
Strange that the airbag didn't explode?
In looking at the first photo, the bumper was not truly affected. And that is where AFAIK the airbag sensors are located.

It is looking like the SUV caught the deer in mid-flight, with the A pillar (I think that is what it is called) doing the "carving". It seems to support a very high rate of speed.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hoef said:
Strange that the airbag didn't explode?
I wondered about that too, and went back and looked at the bumper as Chip did. Seems to be plausible for the air bag.

But what about the driver? That can't be him in the first pic, he has no blood on him. So what happened to the driver. Judging by the devastation in the driver's seat, what kind of damage was done to him?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
First of all, I think we can all agree that the driver was driving probably over the limit.

But the thing that I find very strange is why the air bag never went on. Let me explain and anyone with any deer related experience will agree with me. The fact that the bumber isnt damaged can only be explained by, as stated before, he hurt the deer while it was hoping in the air. The thing is that this thing happened obviously at night and when a deer see a car at night it doesnt try to dodge it, its stares at the cars light and stop moving. This is why the first thing to do when you see a deer on the road is to slow down, turn off lights and blow the horn.

So, for the deer to be hurt like that, it means that the driver caught him by surprise, either there is a big curve ahead or he was driving too fast. Either way, he is partialy responsible for this accident: in deer infested area, you are supposed to drive slowly and safely, two things he totaly forgot. Or it was a very unlucky deer who hoped on the road right before the SUV passed.

Still, I hope he is well, even tho I doupt it... :-(

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mantat said:
So, for the deer to be hurt like that, it means that the driver caught him by surprise, either there is a big curve ahead or he was driving too fast. Either way, he is partialy responsible for this accident: in deer infested area, you are supposed to drive slowly and safely, two things he totaly forgot. Or it was a very unlucky deer who hoped on the road right before the SUV passed.
Try doing this on I-81 in Virginia. Next to impossible to try and drive according to the "rules" and live to tell about it. Either the truckers will get you, or the other car drivers will.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I guess that just because the pics were taken at night doesn't mean that the accident was at night. Maybe it was still daylight, but by the time everyone got to the scene and pics were taken, it was dark.

For whatever reason, the deer was most likely airborn on impact.
Clearly the driver was moving fast to make the deer explode

Still, it doesn't all add up to me :rolleyes:
Snopes.com has another deer through the windshield that they have evaluated as true, but doesn't look anything like this one.

Dunno, I guess I'm still skeptical.
I'd like more details.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
MacDawg said:
Call me skeptical... but do we really know for sure that this is for real?

Looks to me like if you add up all of the body parts, blood, and guts you would have enough for a herd of deer.

Can't imagine why anyone would stage such a thing (and doesn't lend itself to Photoshop), but really, that's just too bizarre.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
That was my first thought as well. It doesn't add up, or seem possible, unless he hit one deer and two were already in his back seat and exploded...but why would someone stage that???

:confused:

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
A few things.

How could the inside of the car be such a bloody mess and at the same time the deer be not missing much of its body and be fairly clean looking?

How could the deer have crushed the hood so severely and still have enough force to fly through the entire car?

And as someone posted on the site: How did blood get on the back of the seats? I suppose it would be possible with a decent ricochet.

The only way I could see this happening would be with multiple deer, which probably is likely. That or the mythbusters were doing a variation on the chicken cannon test.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well judging by the location of the hole in the windshield, the driver would have been dead simply due to impact with deer guts and blood. The only way the driver wouldn't have gotten hurt is if he leaned far towards the passenger seat to dodge the stuff.

:confused:

Abstract = skeptical of guts in the back seat as well. :eek:

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
A relitive of mine just yesterday totalled her Maxima by hitting a deer on the way home from work.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
If you keep reading the comments you would find out that a minivan in front of the SUV hit the dear and "flung" it into the air hitting the SUV. That should explain most of peoples questions about this.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
HypershockerU2 said:
Originally posted by HypershockerU2
Fake? no according to the source it happened in Waupaca County Wisconsin.

Minivan struck a deer which flew into the air and was then struck by this Trailblazer.
That is from the comments.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Wyvernspirit said:
If you keep reading the comments you would find out that a minivan in front of the SUV hit the dear and "flung" it into the air hitting the SUV. That should explain most of peoples questions about this.
That makes it that much more bizarre!

Would the driver have been going fast enough for this destruction and be right behind a minivan?? How fast was the minivan going then, and why didn't the deer explode there?

That's just a LOT of blood and guts. A LOT.
We're talking the back seat, and the cargo hold.

I've hit deer before, and seen many, many others where I live.
I've never seen one explode, ever.
Not saying it couldn't happen.

I didn't read the posts from the other forum.
Does it say anything about the herd of deer feeding on a broken case of dynamite on the side of the road before they were hit??

Woof, Woof - Dawg