Default MacBook pro 13 for photoshop, premier, after effects, and colorista?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iZodLiquify, Nov 13, 2011.

1. iZodLiquify macrumors newbie

I don't want to dish out too much money. I don't really mind rendering speed. I just want it to be smooth and no choppiness

2. simsaladimbamba

What will be the source and size of your footage? And a dedicated GPU might help a lot with complicated setups in AE. Btw, it is called "Premiere", though maybe Adobe should change it to Premier, as that is used more often to name the application.

3. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Depends on how intensive your workload is.

My late-06 Whitebook can handle even 70megapixel stitched images, not the best for doing sophisticated work (Which I've seen a 2011 13" fly through).

For video, you're gonna want a dedicated if you're working at any hard HD stuff. If you're mainly a 480p youtuber, the fact they could do it in 2005 means anything now would be simply more than adequate.

4. iZodLiquify thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

What do you do with the footage afterwards?

6. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Basic editing of my Nikon D5000's 720p files has been fine on my 2010 13" (base). I can't imagine the 2011 will have any issues as long as you don't plant to use it "professionally" for video editing. If you are willing to wait a little longer, then you should be fine. The fact that you are buying a laptop tells me that you are not serious enough about video editing to have any problems with the 2011 13"'s performance.

7. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

I have friends in the video production industry who're constantly on the move - one of them in particular has no problems whatsoever producing 720p commercial projects that come up on television & online, from a 2008 macbook pro.

It also depends how you define 'editing' - are you CGIing a fleet of police choppers? Simply cutting & putting together clips from a family holiday? "Editing" is a pretty generic word.

8. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Yes, but since he is even considering using a laptop it tells me that:

1) he is a pro and knows he is not doing anything serious (doesn't seem to be the case since he would know the answer to his question)

OR

2) he is not a pro and only does minor low intensity editing that could be done on the basic 13" perfectly fine.

9. iZodLiquify thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to start off buy doing simple color corrections in widescreen and putting clips together. Later I will progress into using green screen and creating backgrounds using photoshop and after effects.

10. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Its possible, for shure. Its just not as speedy as a laptop with a dedicated cpu. Just be shure you re encode your footage in something more edit friendly when you start. After effects can be a struggle with not enough ram. I own an 17" 2011 for film school.

11. iZodLiquify thread starter macrumors newbie

12. simsaladimbamba

Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) via MPEG Streamclip
    [​IMG]

You can also use the Batch List for transcoding several files.
    [​IMG]