Defective lighting cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrAgileBeast, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MrAgileBeast, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012

MrAgileBeast macrumors regular

soo already the most crucial component of the iphone...

unboxed my iphone ready to synch...and im wondering why my itunes wont recognize it... sure enough my itunes was not up to date

but then when trying to synch again...nothing

so i decide to charge it...sure enough its not even charging! WTF

anyone else having any problems???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

3. MrAgileBeast thread starter macrumors regular

they were taken with my ipad 3

notice the battery logo

4. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Same here, wasn't sure if it's the internals of my iPhone or the lightning cable, kinda hope it's the cable tbh! I'll be getting up early tomorrow because it's almost a 100 mile round trip for me to visit my "local" apple store and I want to beat the queues and get in and out quick so I can enjoy the rest of my weekend and hopefully a fixed iPhone 5

Rookie

5. zeerow123 macrumors newbie

zeerow123

Just posted this to the other thread mentioning the same issue - New iPhone won't chage:

I just registered to let you know that I am having this same problem.

When I try to charge on the AC adapter, the phone vibrates and makes the noise it normally makes when beginning to charge, but the notification on the top right does not change.

When using the USB directly into a computer, I sometimes am able to sync for a short while before getting a message stating that the device is using too much power and the USB port had to be shut down. Other times, I get this message immediately without a sync. I've tried this on a 13 inch Unibody Macbook Pro and on a Windows machine with the same results.

I called Apple Support, and they ran some diagnostics over the phone and told me they were unable to see anything wrong (also suggested a hard reset). I was redirected to a manager and told that I would need to go to an Apple store in person to see if they could troubleshoot the issue. The earliest this could be scheduled was 12:50 PM tomorrow which obviously is not good enough considering this phone is now activated and my main means of communication.

I called my local Apple Store directly and explained my problem, and was told to come in at 5:30-5:45 today to possibly talk to someone at the Genius bar who could try to troubleshoot my issue. If it turns out to be the device, they said that I might get lucky and get to claim an unclaimed ticket for the day (unlikely), or otherwise I would be given a ticket and would need to return early enough tomorrow to receive a replacement iPhone before they run out of stock again.

I'm pretty frustrated that I am being told that the best option if my $700 unsubsidized phone is broken, is that I will either have to get lucky tonight or essentially wait in line tomorrow morning for a phone I already own.

I just wanted to keep other people having the same issue updated, and possibly get feedback on how their issue was resolved.

Thanks, and good luck.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

7. zeerow123 macrumors newbie

zeerow123

The most interesting issue here is the lack of ability for anyone to troubleshoot.

Few people have another lightning cable lying around their home, so you're stuck to assume the iPhone is broken or go to the local Apple Store to troubleshoot.

8. zeerow123 macrumors newbie

zeerow123

Went into the Apple Store and went straight to the Genuis bar which was taking some walk ins, and the Genuis tried a different Lightning cable which worked.

They didn't have a formal parts swap method yet, so he essentially opened a new one up, tested it, and gave it to me. All in all it took about 30 minutes but I've got a working cable.

Seems that the Geniuses at the Apple Stores are much more likely to address the issue quickly and without any formal processing to get you running and out the door, so I definitely recommend visiting the Apple Store to check if your cable is bad . They seemed pretty receptive to replacing my phone right then if necessary, also.

Glad it all worked out, and definitely felt more like the Apple customer service I am used to.

9. MrAgileBeast thread starter macrumors regular

update to my situation

after trying two different outlets and still no charge i decided to go to the apple store. i went over to the grove (no better place to show off your new iphone) and went straight over to the genius bar box in hand.
    described the issue and sure enough right when she tried it it turned on and started working. i was trully shocked. because of course it would work right at the apple store. came home and sure enough it works now. synching happily

my question is was this some sort of voodoo magic?

10. jredecop macrumors 6502a

My wife's does this too, bend it a certain way at the lightning plug and it'll work.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Sounds like it was a bad cable. These were the exact symptoms I got when trying to sync my iphone 4 with a bad generic cable.

12. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Tried this and it's working. Is it still safe to use? I'm still going to get a replacement cable but I can't go until Monday because I'm 350 miles from home and the only Apple Stores in this state are 300 miles away and I won't be home until Monday.

13. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming its safe but apple is still sending me a replacement.