Defense Secretary Jim Mattis resigns

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
More chaos and diversion from Trump. And he’s freaking out because talk radio and Fox News are upset over the government funding showdown.

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
12/20/18, 4:21 PM
General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years. During Jim’s tenure, tremendous progress has been made, especially with respect to the purchase of new fighting....
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
12/20/18, 4:21 PM
....equipment. General Mattis was a great help to me in getting allies and other countries to pay their share of military obligations. A new Secretary of Defense will be named shortly. I greatly thank Jim for his service!
Paul Farhi (@farhip)
12/20/18, 4:27 PM
.⁦‪@CNN‬⁩ reporting that Mattis was fired by Trump, and is not retiring. "Let's be very clear: He's being pushed out," said reporter ⁦‪@barbarastarrcnn‬⁩.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Why would he stay when his opinion is contrary to his boss? In regards to getting out of Syria. And now Afghanistan.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Why would he stay when his opinion is contrary to his boss? In regards to getting out of Syria. And now Afghanistan.
Kind of mind blowing that Trump thinks anyone will believe Mattis is retiring. No one could read this letter and think it was anything other than a resignation over policy disagreements. Mattis said he appreciated the opportunity to serve the nation and men and women in uniform. Nowhere in the letter does he thank Trump for the opportunity to serve him.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The way the letter reads to me is that General Mattis is leaving of his own accord and in concert with his own beliefs of how the US foreign policy should be shaped, which is not the same as the Presidents. Basically, he's quitting because he can no longer persuade the President to see things differently.

Reactions: hulugu and Huntn

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The way the letter reads to me is that General Mattis is leaving of his own accord and in concert with his own beliefs of how the US foreign policy should be shaped, which is not the same as the Presidents. Basically, he's quitting because he can no longer persuade the President to see things differently.
Right, this certainly sounds like someone who has spent two years trying to fight against the president’s baser impulses and has finally had enough.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Absolutely. I think this is a good thing. Trump's instincts to get out of Syria and now Afghanistan is the right way. Despite what the neocons and the newly hawkish Democrats say. That last part is fun to watch. Mia Farrow is now a warmonger?

Reactions: yaxomoxay

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
The politest way possible to state that Trump won't even listen to his own generals.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Is this the first cabinet secretary/senior official to resign over policy disagreements?

I wonder how long it will be before Trump starts slamming Mattis on Twitter.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I'm quite aware. IMO that only makes the problem worse. We have a rogue failed businessman as president who won't listen to his own counsel, his own generals or his own staff.
https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-criticized-for-breaking-longstanding-american-tradition-of-remaining-in-middle-eastern-countries-indefinitely

https://babylonbee.com/news/disappointed-soldier-was-looking-forward-to-hanging-out-in-syria-for-another-20-30-years

Are you actually defending our FAILED policies in the Middle East and the generals who have prosecuted them for the past two decades?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Pulling out of endless and unproductive wars is treasonous?

Did we not learn the lesson of Vietnam yet?

Washington once warned about foreign entanglements. I guess he was a traitor, too.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Watching the congress floor... it's like watching ants, mice or some other diminutive animal walking around in suits. All style and no substance.

There will be no wall, Trump is an idiot, and I have no doubt Syria is a nail in the coffin of Mattis' tenure with Trump.

One would question why anyone would serve under a complete moron like Trump in the first place, but regardless... here we are.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
One would question why anyone would serve under a complete moron like Trump in the first place, but regardless... here we are.
I agree and wonder the same thing about his cabinet members. But I like to believe that Mattis did it for his country, not for the President. He likely wanted to try and bring some balance and sensibility and to keep the military from being used inappropriately as best he could. It's clear now after the Syria announcement that he is no longer able to persuade the President any longer.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I agree and wonder the same thing about his cabinet members. But I like to believe that Mattis did it for his country, not for the President. He likely wanted to try and bring some balance and sensibility and to keep the military from being used inappropriately as best he could. It's clear now after the Syria announcement that he is no longer able to persuade the President any longer.
Show me one general who didn't advocate for more war? It's a hammer looking for a nail. Is more war always the right answer?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Foreign policy is one which Trump supporters don't care about, or you wouldn't see condemnation. The politicians speaking out know this. They won't suffer backlash.
[doublepost=1545348964][/doublepost]
Are you f*cking kidding me?

Congress didn't even authorize the Syrian war. It is an illegal war already started by Obama after Congress said no.

I would love to see Congress declare war on Syria. No way will it happen.
The war he started too late? The war he didn't do enough on? LOL.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Foreign policy is one which Trump supporters don't care about, or you wouldn't see condemnation. The politicians speaking out know this. They won't suffer backlash.
[doublepost=1545348964][/doublepost]

The war he started too late? The war he didn't do enough on? LOL.
Trump ran on a platform of getting out of the these wars. This isn't new.

Antiwar voters would have voted for Sanders because he had the same policy.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
Anyone keeping score? Whats the count on how many people either left or got booted from this administration? Is it a record yet?