Deficit by who had control of congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Aug 8, 2011.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Just some facts about the deficit and who had control of congress. As you can see, when democrats where in power, the deficit was the highest. Raw data from treasurydirect.gov

http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/deficits.html

Good information.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

misses the fact that most of that was caused by bush error crap. Strip out the bush market crash and boom they added very little to it.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Thanks. It also shows that when taxes were the highest, the debt was much lower. There also seems to be a strong connection between when taxes dropped, and the deficit going up; and when they were raised, the deficit going down. But, that's just silly liberal talk.

And when you say "in control of congress", is there a specific senate/house divide you are referring to? I'm going to write what I see in this chart, not knowing all the history behind it all.

The debt and deficit raised a bit, but not a crazy amount, between 1955 and 1980. During this entire time, Democrats were in full control. And the debt and deficit really only started to raise after the tax decreases in 1964 and 1965. Upon Republicans being introduced in 1980, things started to rise quite a bit (again, coupled with another hefty tax drop), and then lowered a bit starting in 1985 and 1986 with Democrats, only rising when tax rates were dropped again. Upon taxes being increased in 1991-1992 and again in 1993-1994 (Democrats in both House and Senate), both dropped significantly, almost to a deficit balance.

Since 2001, it's hard to what what has worked and what hasn't. The growth of the internet in the late 90s changed the face of the world significantly, and 9/11 changed this country forever. But, the huge jump indeed happened under the Democratic watch, but less than a year after Republican departure, and coupled with the housing collapse. I really don't think the Demos were responsible for the housing collapse. It is interesting to note that the deficit seems to have been dropping since the initial onslaught of the housing-collapse-related increase (under Democratic control).

Again...I'm no economics professor, so I might be seeing something wrong. But what I see is increased taxes helped, and decreased taxes hurt. And otherwise, things seemed pretty equally distributed amongst Republicans and Democrats, leaning better towards Democrats from what I see in your link.

And if you look at the chart further down in your link, you will see that, besides Obama's term following a massive recession and near-economic-disaster he inherited, almost all of the high-deficit presidents in the last 50 years have been Republican. Then look at the chart after that...it's even more damning.

Yeah...you haven't convinced me that Democrats are evil and Republicans save the day....quite the opposite in fact.

4. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sami

I posted this because there is a lot of misinformation that paints democratic presidents as low spenders, while in fact it's the congress that controls the budget. Also, we have not had a budget in almost 3 years. Just pointing out that these economic issues are the makings of democrats.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hardly. Both parties have had a hand in getting us to where we are today. Our problems go back DECADES and were not caused by any one party. Anyone that says anything different is just flat out wrong.

7. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'm no longer convinced of the lower taxes, create revenue argument. There is some logic to the argument when someone explains economic expansion etc. but I don't think the data bears it out in reality.

I think we should be all hands on deck at this point and arguing for NO tax increases period seems irresponsible to me.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

who knew? I guess most people didn't pay attention in 1st grade math.

If I take in 2 dollars and spend 2 dollars, I have $0. If I take in 2 dollars and spend $4, I owe 2 dollars. Thats what these ****ing clowns don't get. They want to take in $0 but still spend $4. Doesn't work. It's the same thing with our government's budget.. just with a lot more entries and a lot more 0s on the end.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

So....are you saying that instead of taking in $0 and spending $4, they should take in $4 and spend $4? Or are you saying that they should take in $0 and spend $0. Not quite sure if you were telling me that I'm an idiot, or what (call me whatever you want...I don't report).

It should be 1st grade math. But I was referring to many reports on this forum that lowering taxes will increase revenue, while history has shown that to almost NEVER be the case. But this time will be different for some reason.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Take $1 but refund it later in a tax break. Spend $2 on a war but don't include that in the budget. Result.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Everyone knows the dems have no balls and the meany republicans have forced them to go along with their will for decades. :p

Housing crisis was largely caused by democrats. GWB just lit the fuse on the bomb.

12. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

If you're counting the current one as 100% Obama/liberals, and the 1940s to anything but World War II, then you're an idiot.

The only thing surprising about that link is that things got out of control with Reagan too. Also, as the "top-bracket marginal income tax rate" went down, the deficit went up, which is ABSOLUTELY 100% POSITIVELY against what every single conservative in congress believes.

So if you're trying to put blame towards liberals, I don't think you really looked at that charts YOU posted at all.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not attacking you at all.. attacking these clown ass mother ****ers who are ruining this country.

It doesn't matter if you take in $0 and spend $0, or take in $4 and spend $4. The point is don't spend more than you take in. Our taxes are the lowest they have been in fifty years. But these people insist on spewing to the masses that our taxes are "still too high" and they should be cut even more, and that that's the answer to our growing debt. It obviously isn't. How the **** do these people expect to have essential services anyways, like fire, police, ambulance, roads, bridges that don't collapse when you drive over them, electricity, running water, waste and sewers, etc? These clowns want all this but don't want to pay for it. It's like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum. MOMMY I WANT IT ALL FREE AND DONT WANT TO PAY FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!11!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's pretty easy to fix this whole debt crisis and government budget in just a few easy steps.

1. Restore taxes to where they were right after WWII. Even if we did this our taxes would still be lower than almost all of Europe. Eliminate all these tax breaks that the top 1% of the population gets. They have more than enough money to pay their share of taxes. Cheap bastards.

2. End the needless wars that are pissing away a million dollars every three minutes. They don't want us over there. They don't want our help. Why are we wasting our money and risking our citizens lives for people who don't even want us there? It's ridiculous, and the only reason for it in the first place was to make money for big oil and military contractors.

3. Take the money saved from that ******** and put it back towards improving essential services in this country. Restore funding to public education and other public services, and use it to fix our failing infrastructure. You can put many unemployed people back to work repairing all of our bridges and roads that are falling apart.

I know it's not quite this simple, but it's a start. The problem is that this top 1% that is running the government isn't going to be able to keep fleecing the population of all of their money if this happens, so they continue to spew lies and misinformation to scare people in to thinking the opposite is the way to fix things. And the majority of this country is so dumb that they actually believe them.

14. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

The debt's been rising under everybody's leadership. Reagan's been the closest thing we've had to an economic conservative in a long time, and he wasn't even able to follow through with the spending cuts that needed to happen. GWB set a record for government expansion, and then Obama topped it. However, neither will be to blame for the crisis we're going to hit in thirty years when entitlements spend our entire tax revenue. That all goes back to the progressive presidents from the past 100 years

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ah yes, Saint Ronnie. Were Reagan running today, he'd probably poll lower than Huntman.

Link

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I truly get sick of the idolization of Reagan. He was an absolute disaster, and nothing "conservatives" of today are about. This kind of historical blindness has got to stop.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I will never understand why Reagan is viewed as the saviour of the US. Never.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Reagan got Americans to have pride in America again. One can only wish Obama had that skill.

19. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Charisma. He was an actor after all.

On other hand, Hitler was quite charismatic too...

20. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Goodwin'd before post 20. Impressive.

Looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem like he was that great a president.